Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
August 12th, 2019 at 9:32:20 AM permalink
Yup
Its that time of year as I see pre-season games on TV
Hopefully Mission is up to running this again
Thanks Mission

Lets get this thing started
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Mission146
Mission146 
  • Threads: 120
Ayecarumba
August 12th, 2019 at 11:25:50 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Yup
Its that time of year as I see pre-season games on TV
Hopefully Mission is up to running this again
Thanks Mission

Lets get this thing started

You've got it! I'm pretty busy over the next few days, but I'll be getting on this at some point closer to the weekend. Last year it was mentioned that someone might want to run the game in a different way (using CBS Sports), so I am waiting until the 15th to see if that happens like I said in last year's thread. If not, then we'll get underway. If so, then I'm not going to run a directly competing game with substantially similar rules.

In the meantime, it just occurred to me why I have such mixed feelings about Jon Gruden:

Jon Gruden is your friend's overbearing, "Baseball Dad," who yells from the bleachers to, "Put some wood on the ball," right after you've just taken a four pitch walk. Walk twice in the game and he'll put his hand on your shoulder after and say, "Don't be afraid to swing, just get up there and be confident," and then give you an uncomfortably hard smack on the ass as you're walking away.

Why baseball, anyway? I played a few different sports growing up and baseball was the only one where you get slapped on the ass all the time.

Back to Gruden, so your own parents couldn't make that game and you had to ride with Gruden back home. On the one hand, he spends the entire time in his rusty pickup truck giving you unsolicited baseball advice even though you went 2-2 with two walks, two runs and an RBI. He's still preaching about being more aggressive at the plate. You kind of want to tell him to shut the hell up, but just having the thought that he should shut the hell up makes you feel bad because he's just really earnest about it and happy to be talking baseball with the kids. You kind of wonder why he's not the coach, after all, he is at every game...turns out it's because the other dads can't stand him...

You chuckle to yourself as you realize that this soliloquy is the exact reason the other dads don't want him around, but then he pulls into Dairy Queen and says, "Anything you boys want, my treat!" And, now you REALLY feel bad for having these negative thoughts about the guy.

Maybe I only feel this way because my friend's dad was a baseball dad and actually looked kind of like Gruden, just with a little bit less hair. I swear to God it was the same voice, too, just toned down a little bit in the case of my friend's dad because this was the Midwest. Midwest/Appalachia, anyway.

There's one very important difference, though. My friend's dad wasn't an overbearing TV-time hogging NFL coach who got paid 2.5 million, per win last year who is now kowtowing left and right to that diva, Antonio Brown.

Screw you, Gruden. You're so annoying and you've never bought me a milkshake.

(I just looked and Gruden was born and grew up some in Ohio and the rest in Indiana. It all makes so much sense, now.)
Vultures can't be choosers.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 232
Mission146odiousgambit
August 12th, 2019 at 12:37:57 PM permalink
Oh, man this is internet GOLD! Well done Mission!

I love Gruden though. A big league needs big personalities. His picture should be on cans of Jolt cola. I wonder what Tom Landry and him in a room would be like?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 10
Mission146
August 12th, 2019 at 2:49:32 PM permalink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgEe0dsP-4
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 34
Mission146
August 12th, 2019 at 8:22:23 PM permalink
What is the deal with the new helmets? Its reported that Antonio Brown is having a s###-fit about the helmets and Tom Brady saying that he preferred his old helmet.
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
Mission146
Mission146 
August 13th, 2019 at 4:58:17 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

What is the deal with the new helmets? Its reported that Antonio Brown is having a s###-fit about the helmets and Tom Brady saying that he preferred his old helmet.

I read the question in a Seinfeld voice, I hope you don’t mind.

The NFL has a number of guidelines relating to helmets. One of them is that a helmet design more than ten years old can no longer be used and the other is a helmet must be NFL approved. I believe they’ve approved 36 different models, something like that.

Anyway, Antonio Brown’s just a diva who doesn’t want to practice except for when he wants to practice. He was never going to retire over it. Our personal Lord, Savior and the Son of God, Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr. simply stated, with dignity and aplomb, that he preferred his old helmet, but rules are rules.

Anyway, it’s not unusual to get attached to a particular piece of equipment after years of using it. It fits/feels just right. Superstition often then turns into confirmation bias because using something else shakes your confidence. I don’t know that Brady would have said anything except I think someone directly asked him.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
Mission146
August 13th, 2019 at 5:28:23 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

The NFL has a number of guidelines relating to helmets. One of them is that a helmet design more than ten years old can no longer be used

Feel free to read the following with your Seinfeld voice as well: What kind of effed up rule is that? Without testing, they just assume a new helmet is inherently safer than an older design? I'm sure most, if not all are, but to blindly make a blanket rule like that (with what I would assume is an arbitrary time-frame) defies logic. It is possible they could be banning a safer helmet while requiring the use of an inferior one.

Quote:

Anyway, Antonio Brown’s just a diva who doesn’t want to practice except for when he wants to practice. He was never going to retire over it.

I would agree 100% that ol' Frozen Toes is quite the diva. But I can actually see his point. He claims that the new designs protrude out farther from the forehead than his old helmet, limiting his field of vision. For a receiver, especially a deep-ball threat like AB, I can see how that could impede his abilities.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Mission146
Mission146 
Joeman
August 13th, 2019 at 5:47:13 AM permalink
I would assume the new helmet designs are rigorously tested. The goal of the new helmet designs is that they are constructed in a way to minimize head trauma and make concussions less likely. They probably test them on dummies or have other mechanisms that test for the force of impact to the actual cranium.

In the case of Brady and Brown, they have a dual-problem when it comes to the helmets. The first is that their physical helmets are more than ten years old, which is forbidden by the rule. The second problem is that the manufacturers themselves no longer make that particular type of helmet. If the helmet model was still being made (and was approved) they could just get a new one.

That may be, but there are plenty of other receivers in the league and we don't hear them threatening to retire. Again, AB just doesn't want to practice except for when he wants to practice, that's all. You'll see him out there on gameday, sure enough, unless he gets cold feet again. I honestly don't think Goddell would have been heartbroken had Brown retired.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 33
Mission146
August 13th, 2019 at 6:03:30 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

You'll see him out there on gameday, sure enough, unless he gets cold feet again.

That is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh this morning, Mission!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 92
Mission146
August 13th, 2019 at 9:37:22 AM permalink
so glad AB is out of here. Such fun to watch from the outside.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW

• Jump to: