68 members have voted

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
September 3rd, 2024 at 9:28:28 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: billryan

Quote: lilredrooster

the truly amazing Shohei Ohtani just set a record - all the while performing great as a pitcher - he's a once in a lifetime player

That’s because, with an eighth-inning homer, Ohtani became the first MLB player with 43 home runs and 43 stolen bases in the same season

Ohtani remains on pace for even higher marks. Through Friday’s win, he’s on pace for the first 50-50 season in major-league history. And with two more nights like Friday, he’ll match Rickey Henderson for the major-league record of most such games in a single season (13, in 1986)

https://archive.ph/kAF30

link to original post

O hasn't pitched at all this year. He is having an amazing season.
link to original post

Stolen bases are markedly easier than in previous years. It’s a double whammy. The pitcher being limited in pickoff attempts is the major factor. The bases being larger helps the runners in two ways. It is a slightly shorter distance between the bases, and the larger bases allow the runner a larger landing zone to avoid a tag.

That being said, Ohtani is of course the best combination of baseball power and speed in MLB history. I’m hoping he makes 50/50.
link to original post

Mid 80’s through late 90’s, pre-steroids Barry Bonds might challenge for the power speed combo. He’s got a 50 stolen base year, many 30’s and 40’s. Only player in MLB history with both 500 steals and 500 home runs, no one else even 400-400.

Will be interesting to see if Acuna loses much speed/athleticism after a second ACL tear, 40-70 last year was pretty wild, doesn’t quite have the same power but had an extra gear for speed. Mike Trout’s wasn’t far off either.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Sep 3, 2024
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 4th, 2024 at 4:02:07 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

the truly amazing Shohei Ohtani just set a record - all the while performing great as a pitcher - he's a once in a lifetime player

That’s because, with an eighth-inning homer, Ohtani became the first MLB player with 43 home runs and 43 stolen bases in the same season

Ohtani remains on pace for even higher marks. Through Friday’s win, he’s on pace for the first 50-50 season in major-league history. And with two more nights like Friday, he’ll match Rickey Henderson for the major-league record of most such games in a single season (13, in 1986)

link to original post

link to original post

Stolen bases are markedly easier than in previous years. It’s a double whammy. The pitcher being limited in pickoff attempts is the major factor. The bases being larger helps the runners in two ways. It is a slightly shorter distance between the bases, and the larger bases allow the runner a larger landing zone to avoid a tag.

That being said, Ohtani is of course the best combination of baseball power and speed in MLB history. I’m hoping he makes 50/50.
link to original post

Mid 80’s through late 90’s, pre-steroids Barry Bonds might challenge for the power speed combo. He’s got a 50 stolen base year, many 30’s and 40’s. Only player in MLB history with both 500 steals and 500 home runs, no one else even 400-400.

Will be interesting to see if Acuna loses much speed/athleticism after a second ACL tear, 40-70 last year was pretty wild, doesn’t quite have the same power but had an extra gear for speed. Mike Trout’s wasn’t far off either.
link to original post

You are right on Bonds/Acuna. But I (sort of) disqualify him for the obvious steroid use. I probably shouldn’t. And Acuna might have bettered his SB mark with the new rules.
I think the SB is a ‘fun’ or ‘exciting’ play, and a ‘caught stealing’ a big moment in a game. Any rule that encourages more attempts I’m for.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 238
September 4th, 2024 at 4:44:14 AM permalink
I and I'm sure some of the older guys remember the controversy when Roger Maris broke (or did he) Babe Ruth's home run record
the MLB was really foolish to change the no. of games in one season imo

from the link:

"Ruth Still Champ” – Cincinnati Enquirer

Maris’ home run chase wasn’t without controversy. In July of 1961, baseball’s commissioner Ford Frick declared that for a player to officially tie or break Ruth's 60-home run mark, he would have to do it in 154 games. The American League lengthened its season from 154 to 162 games that year. And sure enough, it took Maris until the very last day of the season.

“Despite his unprecedented No. 61, Maris did not break Ruth’s record due to a ruling by commissioner Ford Frick,” a wire service report in the Enquirer read. “Ruth’s 60 stands as a mark for a 154-game season, while Maris is the holder of the 162-game season inaugurated by the expanded American League this season.”

In 1991, 30 years after hitting 61 homers, Maris received recognition as the official holder of baseball's single-season home run record."

as if that wasn't enough controversy about the home run record McGwire and Bonds added more due to steroid use

Sammy Sosa, who hit 65, unlike Bonds and McGwire never admitted to steroid use - but several reports have indicated otherwise

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-newspapers-covered-roger-maris-61st-homer

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 4, 2024
the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
September 4th, 2024 at 10:14:33 AM permalink

Quote: mcallister3200

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

You are right on Bonds/Acuna. But I (sort of) disqualify him for the obvious steroid use. I probably shouldn’t. And Acuna might have bettered his SB mark with the new rules.
I think the SB is a ‘fun’ or ‘exciting’ play, and a ‘caught stealing’ a big moment in a game. Any rule that encourages more attempts I’m for.
link to original post

Yes, totally agree, great rule change.

I think sabermetrics had more or less determined that it was rarely worth it for players to go for stolen bases, and now that all changes. Certainly makes sense to run more, and in any case encourages more running until they have more data after the rule change to draw from. Larger base size should have a small side benefit in reducing injury risk from collisions.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 244
September 4th, 2024 at 10:24:19 AM permalink
The bigger bases have also resulted in a few weird hits as balls hit them more often. One thing I mildly dislike is the mittens these guys are wearing. I appreciate the extra hand protection but some of them extend well beyond the fingers.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 14
September 4th, 2024 at 11:06:21 AM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

Just looked at Chicago bears schedule and most of division games are late in the season. Normal game one we play Green Bay and get owned by them starting the season off on a downer. See how things go this year
link to original post

I hear that the Bears have a new owner as of the 2023 season. They used to be owned by Mr. Rodgers. Now they are owned by JLove.
Gambling is a math contest where the score is tracked in dollars. Try not to get a negative score.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
September 4th, 2024 at 11:55:58 AM permalink
It’s so annoying that the packers have had a good QB for like 35 years straight. Have to give them decision making credit, but three in a row right has to be more variance than skill. Da Bears seem pretty giddy about the rook QB at the moment.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
September 4th, 2024 at 12:24:57 PM permalink

I love stolen bases and expect them to be even more prevalent when the tournament starts. I only watch the Yankees, so I don't see Ohtani play much. Hopefully, they will meet in the World Series.
A couple of ex-Mariners might object to your calling him the best combination of power and speed.
link to original post

Griffey Jr. averaged around 8 stolen bases per year
A Rod around 15.

I’ll accept A Rod as he did steal 40 3 times. But Griffey’s max was only 24.

If memory serves me Griffey was also walked a zillion times giving him lots of stolen base opportunities. More than Ohtani.
link to original post

When I read best Mariners player I assumed he meant Suzuki. I didn't bother looking at his numbers but I remember him as a base stealer. Also the best arm I remember on someone his size.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 244
September 4th, 2024 at 1:19:44 PM permalink
When I moved to Mineola, they had a great baseball program. The boys my age had advanced to Wlliamsport when they were 12 and then won the Pony tournament the next year. They'd played together for years and easily won their division in the regular season.
Then the coach tried to get fancy. A kid in our class was the 40-yard, 60-yard, and 220-yard champion and an honorary All-American track performer. The coach decided to add him to the roster as a pinch runner( Herb Washington briefly made this a thing) but that meant leaving someone off the roster. He left my friend Tom off and he didn't take it well. in fact, he quit.
It's late in a tie game when Benji is sent to pinch run. He is a great guy and incredibly popular. He enters to great applause and is promptly picked off first base. It wasn't even close. He gets made, curses out the umpire, and pushes his first-base coach. He's suspended for seven games, and the team had to play shorthanded the rest of the tournament. Tom ended up as a walk-on at St Johns and never forgave the coach.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 238
September 5th, 2024 at 4:24:21 AM permalink
Tom Brady - $375 million Fox Sports NFL analyst - 10 year contract - unreal - I believe it's close to the $ for the highest paid athletes in the U.S.

from the article:

"When Tom Brady took his gap season between his final NFL game in early 2023 and his debut as Fox Sports’ $375 million analyst this Sunday, he studied NFL broadcasts like he was trying to figure out a defense as a quarterback

With Brady — the seven-time Super Bowl champion quarterback widely considered the greatest player in the history of the game and now in possession of the most lucrative known sports commentator contract of all time — Fox Sports has tried to publicly temper expectations for what is probably the most anticipated TV game analyst debut in history."

https://archive.ph/A2fjA

the foolish sayings of a rich man often pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 5th, 2024 at 3:43:49 PM permalink

Tom Brady - $375 million Fox Sports NFL analyst - 10 year contract - unreal - I believe it's close to the $ for the highest paid athletes in the U.S.

from the article:

"When Tom Brady took his gap season between his final NFL game in early 2023 and his debut as Fox Sports’ $375 million analyst this Sunday, he studied NFL broadcasts like he was trying to figure out a defense as a quarterback

With Brady — the seven-time Super Bowl champion quarterback widely considered the greatest player in the history of the game and now in possession of the most lucrative known sports commentator contract of all time — Fox Sports has tried to publicly temper expectations for what is probably the most anticipated TV game analyst debut in history."

https://archive.ph/A2fjA

link to original post

I read (somewhere?) that he will be the most hamstrung announcer in history. As an applicant to be a team minority owner he is severely limited in what he is allowed to say about the officiating, about the owners, about the coaches! I wonder how much more so than the ‘regular’ announcers!
DRich
DRich
September 6th, 2024 at 4:10:42 AM permalink
Big football game tonight.

#1 vs #2 in Los Angeles. It doesn't start until 10pm Eastern time so I am not sure I will make it through the whole game unless it is a nail biter.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 327
September 6th, 2024 at 5:32:20 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

Disney has just divorced Direct TV which means basically no more college football. Should I switch over to HULU and discontinue my Direct membership? Does anyone of you have HULU and what does it cost for the total package?

tuttigym
link to original post

I'd say don't worry, you won't miss more than the first week. I *would* say that but with these outfits like Direct TV I don't know, the sides can really dig their heels in
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DRich
DRich
September 6th, 2024 at 6:51:44 AM permalink

Disney has just divorced Direct TV which means basically no more college football. Should I switch over to HULU and discontinue my Direct membership? Does anyone of you have HULU and what does it cost for the total package?

tuttigym
link to original post

I believe most of the ESPN family of games can be streamed online. That is my plan for the first week.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
September 6th, 2024 at 10:51:02 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

tuttigym
link to original post

I believe most of the ESPN family of games can be streamed online. That is my plan for the first week.
link to original post

Thanks to OG and DR for the comments. I just divorced Direct TV and bought the HULU bundle and saved $100/month. The streaming is easy, and the entertainment package is extensive with an unlimited DVR plus no commercials.

tuttigym
  • Jump to: