beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 27th, 2018 at 7:22:05 PM permalink
If you're not watching BOS-CLE game 7, you are MISSING OUT! 1 quarter left. Guts game.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
May 27th, 2018 at 7:52:54 PM permalink
That’s kinda code for a good game between two teams that aren’t any good....cavs are likely going to get embarrassed in the finals. Shame Kyrie and Hayward both injured Celtics are gonna be a force.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
May 27th, 2018 at 8:00:42 PM permalink
If the cavs somehow win the finals, would anybody still dispute LBJ as the GOAT?
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 27th, 2018 at 8:09:37 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

If the cavs somehow win the finals, would anybody still dispute LBJ as the GOAT?

Getting this team into the Finals may well be his greatest accomplishment but he is still very far from being the Greatest Ever.
Great game. Everything clicked. Refs were mostly unseen and unheard from. Even the announcers were pretty good.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
  • Threads: 232
May 28th, 2018 at 1:46:20 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

but he is still very far from being the Greatest Ever.

whoever wants to compare Lebron to MJ might want to consider that for their careers Lebron has averaged about 16% more rebounds per game and about 27% more assists per game than MJ. Lebron's eFG% is significantly higher than MJ's too - .540 compared to .509.

In basketball, effective field goal percentage is a statistic that adjusts field goal percentage to account for the fact that three-point field goals count for three points while field goals only count for two points. It is abbreviated eFG%.
Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2018 at 1:55:31 AM permalink
Two minutes to go in a Game Seven. You are down by one, at home.
Are you picking LeBron over Jordan to win for you? I'm not. LBJ has come up empty too many times.
Nothing wrong with being one of the best.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 28th, 2018 at 6:14:48 AM permalink

Are you picking LeBron over Jordan to win for you? I'm not. LBJ has come up empty too many times.
Nothing wrong with being one of the best.

You do realize MJ's record in game 7's is......... 6-7 I believe! CONFIRMATION BIAS! He was BELOW AVERAGE in helping his team win game 7's. But keep repeating the blather that he is better than LJ because of his game 7 majesty. LJ has come up 'full' far more than MJ.
That's true about MJ, "Nothing wrong with being one of the best".

Edit..... And if I got my numbers wrong there is a nearby crow I will eat!
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 28th, 2018 at 6:29:27 AM permalink

Getting this team into the Finals may well be his greatest accomplishment but he is still very far from being the Greatest Ever.
Great game. Everything clicked. Refs were mostly unseen and unheard from. Even the announcers were pretty good.

Agree with most of it except the greatest accomplishment part. The comeback was good but it still was a weak Eastern Conference this year, compared to the West. Boston had a great run but didn’t have a player on the court this series that is a Top 10 NBA player. You just don’t win in the NBA without superstars.

But he did carry this team, no doubt. As for the greatest ever, he has a few more years and a lot of great basketball left in him before the determination is made for me.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 28th, 2018 at 8:20:45 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

Agree with most of it except the greatest accomplishment part. The comeback was good but it still was a weak Eastern Conference this year, compared to the West. Boston had a great run but didn’t have a player on the court this series that is a Top 10 NBA player. You just don’t win in the NBA without superstars.

But he did carry this team, no doubt. As for the greatest ever, he has a few more years and a lot of great basketball left in him before the determination is made for me.

Well said. Jury still out. MJ still GOAT for me.

As to good game, both teams were exhausted. Hype as high as it could be. Starters out for both teams, so not their most advantageous rotations. Came down to guts. Cavs dug deeper. Outstanding effort from both.
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2018 at 10:11:32 AM permalink
LBJ has a chance to be the greatest, but MJ is the leader in the clubhouse and LeBron is several strokes back and running out of time.
If they lose this finals, he'll be 3-6 as opposed to 6-0 for the tongue swagger.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
May 28th, 2018 at 10:17:22 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

You do realize MJ's record in game 7's is......... 6-7 I believe! CONFIRMATION BIAS! He was BELOW AVERAGE in helping his team win game 7's. But keep repeating the blather that he is better than LJ because of his game 7 majesty. LJ has come up 'full' far more than MJ.

I don't view that game 7 record as MJ's record. Its a bull's record
I watched both in their prime
The players around MJ were a lot better then todays Cavaliers. A whole lot better.
The Bulls without MJ 93-94 and 94-95 was still a playoff team.
If todays Cavaliers were without Labron, probably losing record. No way this is a playoff team without Labron
MJ played on great teams
Labron played on great teams, this is not one of them
Labron does not have the help on this team that MJ had on all his championship teams.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2018 at 10:18:36 AM permalink

I'm not seeing anything that supports your numbers. Certainly not seeing seven game seven loses. In fact, I can only find a single game 7 loss.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RogerKint
May 28th, 2018 at 10:49:02 AM permalink
Who the hell is “Labron”
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
May 28th, 2018 at 11:11:22 AM permalink

Are you picking LeBron over Jordan to win for you?

It depends on how much MJ still owes in gambling debt to his Mob Bookies.

As far as the GOAT in NBA, Jordan likes to tout his 6 rings as reason for being the goat. By that rationale , I will take Bill Russel any day of the week. LBJ and MJ are two different types of players. Both are and were the greatest at their position. MJ gets all of the attention and glory for a multitude of reasons aside from the stats and rings... He had finesse and people loved to watch him soar through the air. He had charm and charisma. He was a good looking cat. He was a global pop culture icon through Nike and the movie 'just like mike'. He was a media sensation and still is. If LeBron wants to be considered the GOAT in comparison to MJ, there is only one way he will get the accolade... and that is to win 4 more rings.. period! And he can do it when he comes to Philly!
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 28th, 2018 at 11:17:02 AM permalink

If they lose this finals, he'll be 3-6 as opposed to 6-0 for the tongue swagger.

You can't use team stats to compare individuals. I have no idea which was a better player but look at individual stats to compare.

FG%, assists, rebounds, blocks, steals, turnovers, etc.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2018 at 12:26:06 PM permalink
It is tough to compare different positions and eras. With that said, LBJ has to win a few more titles to get any consideration.
Isn't that pretty much the only knock on Wilt? That he only won a couple titles?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
May 28th, 2018 at 2:12:44 PM permalink

Isn't that pretty much the only knock on Wilt? That he only won a couple titles?

Yes, it is the cliched knock on Wilt and its not a fair one.

For a lot of those years he had a weak supporting cast and his teams had no chance at a title.

In the meantime, his nemesis Bill Russell was cruising with the likes of Cousy, Sharman, Heinsohn, Havlicek and Sam Jones.

Just to throw one stat out there for a couple of years Wilt averaged 27 rebounds per game. In a few other years he was close to 27.

The most Lebron ever averaged in a year was 8. Lebron is not a center, but still. The top rebounder in the NBA this year is averaging 16.

Wilt blocked an s***load of shots too. I'd be willing to bet more than Russell, but they didn't keep stats on blocked shots back then.

His field goal % in 1967 was .683 which is way higher than anybody in the history of the game.

In 1962 he 𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐃 50.4 points per game.

𝐍𝐎𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘 ever dominated a basketball game as completely as Wilt Chamberlain. I repeat - 𝐍𝐎𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
May 28th, 2018 at 2:18:34 PM permalink

You were very close with your 6-7 record for Michael Jordan in game 7s.

He was actually 2-2
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2018 at 2:30:12 PM permalink
No MJ lead team ever won a Game 7 in the Finals. Pretty damning until one sees they never needed a Game Seven
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 28th, 2018 at 5:15:08 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

You were very close with your 6-7 record for Michael Jordan in game 7s.

He was actually 2-2

Not to doubt you, but I can't figure out how to 'mine' that info...... How did you find it?

I was able to find that MJ was only able to average 1/2 a 3 pointer per game over his career. Very few 'shooting guards' could get away with that now, or 'small forwards' for that matter. He might be the best ever at hitting a contested mid range jump shot, and using his speed to get to that spot, but I still think LJ does so many things better than MJ ever did....
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2018 at 6:03:28 PM permalink
Just look at his playoff records, or the Bulls. I didn't look at a possible game seven with the Wizards.
michael99000
michael99000
May 28th, 2018 at 10:05:07 PM permalink

Not to doubt you, but I can't figure out how to 'mine' that info...... How did you find it?

I was able to find that MJ was only able to average 1/2 a 3 pointer per game over his career. Very few 'shooting guards' could get away with that now, or 'small forwards' for that matter. He might be the best ever at hitting a contested mid range jump shot, and using his speed to get to that spot, but I still think LJ does so many things better than MJ ever did....

Actually he was 2-1 in game 7s.

He lost to the pistons in game 7 in the 1990 ECF, this would be the last playoff series the Jordan Bulls lose before going onto their first championship 3-peat

The other 2 Jordan game 7s were victories over the Knicks and pacers.

While he was retired and playing baseball , the Pippen-led bulls lost a 7 game series to the Knicks. There was an infamous bad call by referee Hugh Hollins with two seconds left in game 5 of that series.

Jordan never made the playoffs with the Wizards
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
smoothgrh
May 28th, 2018 at 11:10:27 PM permalink
Back to this year...

Yay GSW! What a comeback in the 3rd!

Got the finals we wanted to see. Hope it's a fun one. Hope Love is back for game 1.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
May 28th, 2018 at 11:18:45 PM permalink

I was able to find that MJ was only able to average 1/2 a 3 pointer per game over his career. Very few 'shooting guards' could get away with that now, or 'small forwards' for that matter.

Regarding your comment, I'm in love with this video about the 3-pointer. The relevant parts in reply to your quote are in the first minute.
michael99000
michael99000
May 28th, 2018 at 11:39:05 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Yay GSW! .

Who ,outside of Oakland, feels that way?

Do you also get excited when the Patriots or Floyd mayweather win ?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 12:00:54 AM permalink
Quote: michael99000

Who ,outside of Oakland, feels that way?

Do you also get excited when the Patriots or Floyd mayweather win ?

Nope, neither. But we in the land of no decent teams like Steph Curry very much. And, though I'm not really a LBJ fan, I'm quite partial to seeing K Korver with a championship ring. So, either way, I'm happy for them.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
May 29th, 2018 at 3:55:48 AM permalink
Well, Vegas doesn't think the public will think much of the Cav's chances to win game 1 in Oakland.

Warriors.......... - 12.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/las-vegas/
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
May 29th, 2018 at 6:28:35 AM permalink
so it's King James against the Warriors

going to be like Microsoft king of tech getting bombarded on all sides by genius internet tech startups

pretty soon Microsoft's not the King Kong of tech anymore

Warriors have too many rooks, bishops and knights

King James only has pawns on his side

still real fun to watch anyway
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 29th, 2018 at 8:14:40 AM permalink

Got the finals we wanted to see.

Not all of us. I am from Cleveland and I would rather have played the Rockets. I can't imagine the Cavs beating the Warriors but they would have had a good shot against the Rockets.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
michael99000
michael99000
May 29th, 2018 at 8:58:21 AM permalink

, I'm quite partial to seeing K Korver with a championship ring.

Then you probably should’ve been rooting for Houston
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
May 29th, 2018 at 3:27:53 PM permalink
no Scottie Pippen for LBJ to rely on - an no one remotely as talented or reliable
michael99000
michael99000
May 29th, 2018 at 3:51:34 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

no Scottie Pippen for LBJ to rely on - an no one remotely as talented or reliable

Wade and Bosh with him for the two titles in Miami

Kyrie was there for the one in Cleveland
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 3:53:08 PM permalink

True. But each of 6 or 7 guys has been 2nd leading scorer by a lot over the rest. Just need a couple hot hands while LBJ draws double coverage, and reasonably few turnovers.

One of the biggest advantages GS has is Steve Kerr, though. He's (and his staff) so fluid and detailed about adjusting as the game goes on, and the conditioning he/they insist on, makes GS a standout team.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
DRich
May 29th, 2018 at 11:19:59 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Not all of us. I am from Cleveland and I would rather have played the Rockets. I can't imagine the Cavs beating the Warriors but they would have had a good shot against the Rockets.

It's ok you still have the Browns
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
terapined
terapined
May 30th, 2018 at 4:53:08 AM permalink

Totally agree
All James has is Kevin Love which I don't think is as good as Pippen
while
Curry has much better support from Durant and Klay Thompson who I think are just as good as Pippen
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
May 31st, 2018 at 2:34:43 AM permalink
MJ also had Dennis Rodman on his side.

You might not like him personally but he was a truly great rebounder and defensive player

in 1997 he averaged 16 bounds per game and only played on average only 35 minutes per game

he was a HUGE impact player

nobody like that on LBJ's side
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
  • Threads: 61
May 31st, 2018 at 4:27:09 AM permalink
I'm actually in Ohio and Golden State has always been my favorite team since I was little. My favorite player was Chris Mullin and I loved the teams they had with Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond. It's definitely not easy wearing Warrior gear around here, but I do it quite often.

The ironic thing is I'm a huge Cleveland Browns fan and always have been.
RealizeGaming
RealizeGaming
  • Threads: 61
May 31st, 2018 at 4:31:16 AM permalink

One of the biggest advantages GS has is Steve Kerr, though. He's (and his staff) so fluid and detailed about adjusting as the game goes on, and the conditioning he/they insist on, makes GS a standout team.

Great observation that I totally agree with! Steve Kerr deserves so much credit for building the team into champions. He is the perfect coach who knows what it takes to be a champion and he is able to mesh 4-5 superstars into playing as a team. His offense with the constant movement, cutting and back screening is a thing of beauty.
terapined
terapined
May 31st, 2018 at 6:41:20 AM permalink

MJ also had Dennis Rodman on his side.

You might not like him personally but he was a truly great rebounder and defensive player

in 1997 he averaged 16 bounds per game and only played on average only 35 minutes per game

he was a HUGE impact player

nobody like that on LBJ's side

Totally agree
One of the few players able to lock down Shaq
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
June 1st, 2018 at 3:54:47 AM permalink
effing incredible

cavs actually could have won that game if not for JR Smith's bonehead play running out the clock instead of quickly working to get a shot with chance to go ahead at the end of regulation time.

JR Smith IS NEVER GOING TO LIVE THIS DOWN

didn't think the Cavs could be competitive with them. very surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imMSjrwsRaM
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
June 1st, 2018 at 5:04:11 PM permalink
In the annals of sports, will his name appear next to Bill Buckner, Leon Lett, and … a third person I can't think of?

Oh—maybe he IS the third person!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
June 3rd, 2018 at 12:23:09 PM permalink
I actually feel sorry for J.R. Smith now. The media is all over him, they won't let him be. So much pressure on him now.
It might seem crazy to feel sorry for a millionaire athlete but I do.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
smoothgrh
June 3rd, 2018 at 3:38:10 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

In the annals of sports, will his name appear next to Bill Buckner, Leon Lett, and … a third person I can't think of?

Chris Weber.
billryan
billryan
June 3rd, 2018 at 3:43:55 PM permalink

For my fathers generation and before, Fred Merkel was the man associated with sports blunders. Now only the sharpest of fans knows him.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
June 4th, 2018 at 3:26:21 AM permalink
early odds from vegas for Wednesday's game has the Warriors -4.5.

I'll definitely take the Cavs.

I think the public is mistaken if they don't think the Cavs can compete strongly in Cleveland.

this is going to be my empty the wallet bet. I'll take a plunge. hope I don't drown.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/las-vegas/
terapined
terapined
June 4th, 2018 at 3:58:36 AM permalink

Freddy Brown Georgetown
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
June 4th, 2018 at 4:18:33 AM permalink

he wasn't an athlete but my pick would be Steve Bartman.

he had to leave Wrigley Field with security personnel. fans were going to beat the s*** out of him.

if I remember correctly he had to move from Chicago, he was getting constant death threats
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
June 4th, 2018 at 9:34:05 AM permalink

he wasn't an athlete but my pick would be Steve Bartman.

he had to leave Wrigley Field with security personnel. fans were going to beat the s*** out of him.

if I remember correctly he had to move from Chicago, he was getting constant death threats

I feel bad for J.R. Smith too. I prefer seeing greatness at the highest level of sports, but even top athletes make mistakes. Unfortunately for them, championship events magnify the mistakes into epic proportions.

As far as Steve Bartman, he got a raw deal and was made the scapegoat. Fans aren't professionally trained athletes and aren't expected to have their "head in the game." The natural reaction is to reach for a foul ball, not block everyone out. Plus, the Cubs made their own mistakes later in the game. Fortunately for the Bartman saga, it had what seems to be a happy ending.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
June 4th, 2018 at 11:40:17 AM permalink

Chris Weber
terapined
terapined
June 4th, 2018 at 11:40:42 AM permalink

As far as Steve Bartman, he got a raw deal and was made the scapegoat.

He absolutely got a raw deal
Cubs pitching totally fell apart after that play. That's who is to really blame for the loss
  • Jump to: