WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
March 14th, 2018 at 11:25:45 AM permalink
I really like Tiger to finally get back on top this weekend. The odds are anywhere from +550 to +650. I watched him play in his past few tournaments. It sure looks like he is just about there! His performance and history at Bay Hill has been spectacular in the past. He has won it 8 times. He just played a great round in Fl last week. He is feeling good again. Im all over it!
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 14th, 2018 at 11:34:50 AM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

I really like Tiger to finally get back on top this weekend. The odds are anywhere from +550 to +650. I watched him play in his past few tournaments. It sure looks like he is just about there! His performance and history at Bay Hill has been spectacular in the past. He has won it 8 times. He just played a great round in Fl last week. He is feeling good again. Im all over it!

If he is playing Saturday and Sunday
May have to go back and forth, Tiger and March Madness
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
March 14th, 2018 at 11:41:13 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

If he is playing Saturday and Sunday
May have to go back and forth, Tiger and March Madness

I haven't been following NCAA hoops. Who do you like this weekend against the spread?
terapined
terapined
March 14th, 2018 at 12:00:25 PM permalink

I haven't been following NCAA hoops. Who do you like this weekend against the spread?

I like Maryland Women vs Princeton friday
Probably no line. Its Women's basketball
My Men's team didn't even make the NIT LOL

Best game I saw this year. St Johns that lost 11 in a row beat Duke
My suggestion
Bet against Duke
Not a fan of Ted Cruz or Grayson Allen
Ted says he plays basketball. Somebody asked him to prove it. He sent them a picture of Grayson Allen
Very funny Ted
Again, bet against Duke
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 14th, 2018 at 12:11:45 PM permalink
I watched one game this year. UofV vs. Louisville. Turned out to be a game for the ages. Virginia simply refused to lose. Down four with seconds left, they ended up winning on a three point shot from the cheap seats.
I think they will be tough to beat. In my bracket, I have them as first runner up.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
March 14th, 2018 at 12:20:49 PM permalink

My opinion is exactly the opposite, I think his re-emergence is greatly exaggerated. I think the value is on some of the others in the field, like Rose at 13/1, Fleetwood at 20/1, Adam Scott at 40/1, Luke List at 50/1 and Sam Burns at 100/1.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 14th, 2018 at 12:26:08 PM permalink
I remember around 1998/99 or so, a customer at my bar started betting on Tiger to win every tournament, martingaling when he lost. It was a pretty good bet for a long time. I hope he hasn't been doing it since Tigers last win.
My completely unqualified opinion is I was very surprised how good Tiger looked last weekend. It wouldn't surprise me if he is in the hunt on Sunday.
Never bet on the PGA, and don't plan on starting now.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
March 14th, 2018 at 12:59:52 PM permalink
I feel he won't truly be back until he gets remarried and goes on multiple affairs. That's when he was in his prime haha
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
March 14th, 2018 at 1:11:14 PM permalink
Quote: GlenG

I feel he won't truly be back until he gets remarried and goes on multiple affairs. That's when he was in his prime haha

Thats funny... and he sure was having the time of his life happy and free when he was winning and banging chicks all over the world. Once that was taken away... his mental game was gone. Funny how that works!
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
March 14th, 2018 at 1:18:50 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

My opinion is exactly the opposite, I think his re-emergence is greatly exaggerated. I think the value is on some of the others in the field, like Rose at 13/1, Fleetwood at 20/1, Adam Scott at 40/1, Luke List at 50/1 and Sam Burns at 100/1.

I have Scott and List this week. I also like Noren and Reed in this spot.

While I think what he has accomplished this year is incredible, I would be cautious betting Woods this week. I watched a bit of the Valspar and on Sunday he looked a bit rigid/stiff IMO. Tiger as the favorite is difficult to like (especially @ 5/1-6/1). Day or Rose makes sense as the "real" favorites for this event.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 14th, 2018 at 1:26:27 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

I have Scott and List this week. I also like Noren and Reed in this spot.

While I think what he has accomplished this year is incredible, I would be cautious betting Woods this week. I watched a bit of the Valspar and on Sunday he looked a bit rigid/stiff IMO. Tiger as the favorite is difficult to like (especially @ 5/1-6/1). Day or Rose makes sense as the "real" favorites for this event.

Justin Rose all the way.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
March 14th, 2018 at 1:27:07 PM permalink
Can't dispute any of the points made here. There are many great players at better odds. It is a game of inches and any of them could win. Im already in with Tiger at 5 - 1 so Im going to be enjoying the tournament watching him. He has done so much for the game. Without him, no one is watching or talking about golf as they are now.
SM777
SM777
  • Threads: 6
March 14th, 2018 at 1:32:10 PM permalink
Any and all value has been sucked out of betting Tiger currently. Terrible bets win all the time, but Tiger's performance the last few weeks and popularity have certainly driven the value well out of betting him.

Look at his Master's odds and what's happened within the last three weeks alone. Down to 10/1 from 100/1. Last thing anyone should say is there's value on Tiger right now.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
March 14th, 2018 at 1:37:38 PM permalink
Quote: SM777

Any and all value has been sucked out of betting Tiger currently. Terrible bets win all the time, but Tiger's performance the last few weeks and popularity have certainly driven the value well out of betting him.

Look at his Master's odds and what's happened within the last three weeks alone. Down to 10/1 from 100/1. Last thing anyone should say is there's value on Tiger right now.

I wasnt talking about the Masters. Who said there was value in Tiger for the Masters? You are jumping ahead of yourself. Slow down, chief. I said for this weekend at Bay Hill due to the fact that he has won there 8 x before, he loves the course, he is playing extremely well and showing signs of the old Tiger. The momentum is with him as he is very familiar with the course. Would I like to see the odds at 10-1 or 20-1? Sure... but Ill take 5-1 in this scenario any day.
SM777
SM777
March 14th, 2018 at 2:06:53 PM permalink

I wasnt talking about the Masters. Who said there was value in Tiger for the Masters? You are jumping ahead of yourself. Slow down, chief. I said for this weekend at Bay Hill due to the fact that he has won there 8 x before, he loves the course, he is playing extremely well and showing signs of the old Tiger. The momentum is with him as he is very familiar with the course. Would I like to see the odds at 10-1 or 20-1? Sure... but Ill take 5-1 in this scenario any day.

Well aware. Using the Master's as the prime example because the odds are posted months in advance and you can see the value get sucked out ahead of time.

Unfortunately, Bay Hill odds aren't posted months ahead where you can watch your Tiger "value" wager plummet. Bottom line, betting Tiger Woods right now has no value. But also, terrible bets win. It keeps the squares coming back for more.

And in reality, I hope Tiger wins. The game is much more fun, the atmosphere in Tampa last week for a lowly tournament like Valspar was crazy.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 14th, 2018 at 2:31:31 PM permalink

-snip-
And in reality, I hope Tiger wins. The game is much more fun, the atmosphere in Tampa last week for a lowly tournament like Valspar was crazy.

-Editing mine-

Yep, it is great just having him play in this tourney for golf in general. And if he is competitive it will be must watch tv for golf/sports fans. Since his return late last year a number of recent winners have been from a group of famous pros who have struggled in recent years.
Bubba @ Riviera
Phil @ Mexico
Casey @ Valspar
His active playing may be spurring a mini "renaissance" in golf at the moment...
terapined
terapined
March 15th, 2018 at 1:14:57 PM permalink
68 today
1 off the lead
Simply amazing how consistent when just about ALL golfers miss the cut a lot
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 15th, 2018 at 9:19:57 PM permalink
Nice start for Tiger. Birdied all the par 5's today (the leader Stenson did as well).

Quote: beachbumbabs

Justin Rose all the way.

What a roller coaster of a day for him. 4 over par through 6 holes and then he birdied 7 of 12 to finish his round.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 16th, 2018 at 7:55:06 AM permalink
Yes, Rose turned around what was a miserable start.

I know there are a lot of Tiger gushers out there, so I will throw this out if anybody wants to take it. I'll wager that Tiger won't win a single major this year, and no more than 1 PGA Tour event in this season. In other words, you will win if he wins 1 or more majors OR if he wins 2 or more sanctioned PGA Tour events through the end of this season (the Tour Championship at East Lake in September). This includes the WGC events that he might qualify for. I'll accept all wagers up to an aggregate of $300.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 16th, 2018 at 9:26:18 AM permalink

I know there are a lot of Tiger gushers out there, so I will throw this out if anybody wants to take it. I'll wager that Tiger won't win a single major this year, and no more than 1 PGA Tour event in this season. In other words, you will win if he wins 1 or more majors OR if he wins 2 or more sanctioned PGA Tour events through the end of this season (the Tour Championship at East Lake in September). This includes the WGC events that he might qualify for. I'll accept all wagers up to an aggregate of $300.

Even money, or at some odds?
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 16th, 2018 at 9:53:37 AM permalink
Even money
terapined
terapined
March 16th, 2018 at 10:30:26 AM permalink

Even money

I think winning a tournament is a fair even odds bet.
Winning 2 tournaments or a major. That's tough. I would want odds
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 16th, 2018 at 11:29:53 AM permalink

I think winning a tournament is a fair even odds bet.
Winning 2 tournaments or a major. That's tough. I would want odds

I appreciate the response. At this time, I'm not willing to give odds.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 18th, 2018 at 9:49:56 PM permalink
Very good week for Tiger. He even made a run on Sunday, but Rory McIlory crushed it with an 8 under round to win going away.

-snip-

I would do this for up to $100 with some tweaks...

1 major win or
2 non-major wins or
1 non-major win and a Top 3 finish in a Major (ties included).

And I will add a sweetener for you. If Phil Mickelson wins the 118th U.S. Open Championship Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, Southampton, N.Y., June 11-17, 2018 you win the bet (regardless of what Tiger does).
SM777
SM777
March 19th, 2018 at 6:18:28 AM permalink
For what it's worth, Westgate currently has Tiger to win a major in 2018 at +200.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 19th, 2018 at 8:01:01 AM permalink

Very good week for Tiger. He even made a run on Sunday, but Rory McIlory crushed it with an 8 under round to win going away.

1 major win or
2 non-major wins or

And I will add a sweetener for you. If Phil Mickelson wins the 118th U.S. Open Championship Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, Southampton, N.Y., June 11-17, 2018 you win the bet (regardless of what Tiger does).

I'll accept these terms if you want to confirm. Just to be clear, any injuries to Tiger (or Phil for that matter) do not void the wager, it's still a go. I'm good with $100. Just so you know, I don't do PayPal, so settlement would need to be an Amazon e-gift card, or check/money order.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 21st, 2018 at 10:05:33 AM permalink
Tiger is the sentimental favorite in the Masters. The comeback kid. He's overbet creating value on others. He hasn't won a major since 2008. Here are the current odds on the top 7 just now cut and pasted from vegasinsider.com

Tiger Woods 9/1
Dustin Johnson 11/1
Jordan Spieth 14/1
Justin Thomas 15/1
Rory McIlroy 15/1
Justin Rose 16/1
Phil Mickelson 18/1
Please don't feed the trolls
SM777
SM777
March 21st, 2018 at 5:29:26 PM permalink
Just to be clear, if you think you're getting "value" on a wager in a future pool in Las Vegas, you're only fooling yourself. I haven't run the numbers on a golf future pool in Vegas in 2018, but it's likely set up to hold 20-25% like years past.
terapined
terapined
March 21st, 2018 at 6:12:09 PM permalink

Just to be clear, if you think you're getting "value" on a wager in a future pool in Las Vegas, you're only fooling yourself. I haven't run the numbers on a golf future pool in Vegas in 2018, but it's likely set up to hold 20-25% like years past.

Wow
That sucks
Right up there with horse betting parimutuel pool
Jordan Spieth 14 to 1?????????
I think the true odds are a lot longer
Didn't even make the cut at Valspar
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 22nd, 2018 at 4:46:05 AM permalink

Good point - but just one thing.

The hold numbers you point out are roughly the same as those for exotic bets at horse racing.

And if you think that those ugly numbers mean you can never find value on an exotic bet at horse racing you would be fooling yourself.

I don't know if it's possible to find value on betting on a golfer in this pool because if the numbers favor longshots the variance is too great for most. I don't know enough about golf to say whether or not that is true.

But I know its not impossible. Why? Because, just as in horse racing the great number of potential outcomes can create confusion. Although less so in this golf bet because there is no time pressure to make a bet. Confusion is your best friend if you are a serious horseplayer. Many horseplayers who bet have not scoped out the race well in advance and face time pressure which causes mistakes.
SM777
SM777
March 22nd, 2018 at 6:52:02 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Good point - but just one thing.

The hold numbers you point out are roughly the same as those for exotic bets at horse racing.

And if you think that those ugly numbers mean you can never find value on an exotic bet at horse racing you would be fooling yourself.

I don't know if it's possible to find value on betting on a golfer in this pool because if the numbers favor longshots the variance is too great for most. I don't know enough about golf to say whether or not that is true.

But I know its not impossible. Why? Because, just as in horse racing the great number of potential outcomes can create confusion. Although less so in this golf bet because there is no time pressure to make a bet. Confusion is your best friend if you are a serious horseplayer. Many horseplayers who bet have not scoped out the race well in advance and face time pressure which causes mistakes.

Oh, absolutely. I thought that was well known though? At least a lot more well known than future pools in Vegas. They disguise it very well to the untrained eye.

Horse pools are so bad.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 22nd, 2018 at 9:30:39 AM permalink
Tiger Woods 9/1
Dustin Johnson 11/1
Jordan Spieth 14/1
Justin Thomas 15/1
Rory McIlroy 15/1
Justin Rose 16/1
Phil Mickelson 18/1

Maybe to some this might seem a sucker bet. But what I'm going to propose seems to me like a great bet. And again, I have to admit I don't know a great deal about professional golf. Anyway here goes:

take Tiger out and bet equal money on the next 6. If any one of the next 6 wins you will get more than an even money payback except on Dustin Johnson which will get you even money.

only 2 ways to lose. an extreme longshot will beat you, which I would say is certainly possible but not greatly probable.
or Tiger beats you which I would say is very improbable.

Comments?
terapined
terapined
March 22nd, 2018 at 10:41:22 AM permalink

Tiger Woods 9/1
Dustin Johnson 11/1
Jordan Spieth 14/1
Justin Thomas 15/1
Rory McIlroy 15/1
Justin Rose 16/1
Phil Mickelson 18/1

Maybe to some this might seem a sucker bet. But what I'm going to propose seems to me like a great bet. And again, I have to admit I don't know a great deal about professional golf. Anyway here goes:

take Tiger out and bet equal money on the next 6. If any one of the next 6 wins you will get more than an even money payback except on Dustin Johnson which will get you even money.

only 2 ways to lose. an extreme longshot will beat you, which I would say is certainly possible but not greatly probable.
or Tiger beats you which I would say is very improbable.

Comments?

How about this
Even odds
I take the field
You take those 6 players
Tiger wins, nobody wins
Your 6 wins, you win the bet
My rest of field wins, I win the bet
I'm game, are you?
Bet?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 22nd, 2018 at 10:53:16 AM permalink

How about this
Even odds
I take the field
You take those 6 players
Tiger wins, nobody wins
Your 6 wins, you win the bet
My rest of field wins, I win the bet
I'm game, are you?
Bet?

No thanks dude.

I really don't think Tiger will win. And any of my guys except Dustin will pay A lot more than even money.
terapined
terapined
March 22nd, 2018 at 12:45:20 PM permalink

No thanks dude.

I really don't think Tiger will win. And any of my guys except Dustin will pay A lot more than even money.

Counter offer?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 22nd, 2018 at 2:45:57 PM permalink

Counter offer?

try WatchMeWin. I think he likes Tiger. If you offer him Tiger at 12/1 you'd probably still have a large edge and he might take it.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 22nd, 2018 at 5:23:46 PM permalink

-snip-

1 major win or
2 non-major wins or

I'll accept these terms if you want to confirm. Just to be clear, any injuries to Tiger (or Phil for that matter) do not void the wager, it's still a go. I'm good with $100. Just so you know, I don't do PayPal, so settlement would need to be an Amazon e-gift card, or check/money order.

I accept. This will be fun.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
March 22nd, 2018 at 7:19:56 PM permalink

Great, we have ourselves a wager!! I agree, should be fun to watch the season progress. The major that has me the most worried is the Masters, smaller field with about a quarter of the field who has little or no chance of winning (past winners way past their prime, first time amateurs, etc.). I think this will be Tiger's best chance to get a major.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 22nd, 2018 at 7:29:12 PM permalink

Great, we have ourselves a wager!! I agree, should be fun to watch the season progress. The major that has me the most worried is the Masters, smaller field with about a quarter of the field who has little or no chance of winning (past winners way past their prime, first time amateurs, etc.). I think this will be Tiger's best chance to get a major.

The Masters is likely his best shot, but mostly because he is playing and is healthy. Who knows what the rest of the year will bring...
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 22nd, 2018 at 7:41:21 PM permalink
Greatest match of the modern era (IMO): 2008 US Open.

I never really "got" why anyone would watch golf until that tournament. I was glued to it, especially Saturday, I think it was some of the most phenomenal golf ever in a major. I even watched the highlights after seeing it live in the first place.

And where the hell is Rocco Mediate these days? Haven't followed close enough to know, but you never hear his name any more.

Coincidentally, Tiger's last major win. On a broken leg.

I don't think you can ever count him out after that.
Keeneone
Keeneone
March 30th, 2018 at 3:20:05 PM permalink
A new book has been released about Tiger. It seems to be creating at of "buzz" before the Masters. Nothing I have seen from the excerpts is breaking news IMO. I will sum it up as I see it:

Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer ever and a complete jerk.

https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Woods-Jeff-Benedict/dp/1501126423/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1522448273&sr=1-3&keywords=tiger+woods
Keeneone
Keeneone
May 2nd, 2018 at 5:11:36 PM permalink
Tiger returns to PGA tour for the next 2 weeks. I wonder how he is going to perform after a little break?
Keeneone
Keeneone
June 25th, 2018 at 9:53:51 PM permalink
I noticed Tiger was the 2nd or 3rd choice (around town) to win this weekend @ Quicken Loans National @ TPC Potomac. Seems overvalued to me (but I hope he wins). Field is very light on top flight players. 2019 is the last year for this "Tiger" inspired tourney to be played. Can he compete?

Only 2 Majors left. I am running out of time for Tiger to start winning...
Keeneone
Keeneone
August 12th, 2018 at 5:28:12 PM permalink
Tiger finished solo 2nd this week @ the PGA Championship. Great week for him and the pro golf world in general. He certainly seems poised to win sooner or later. He has played a lot recently, so fatigue could become a factor in the next month.

Koepka was awesome today. His putter slowed him down a little, but what a win. He is having an incredible year. 2 major wins (and he only played in 3 of 4 this year). He was 20/1 (and higher some places) to win this week. Back to back US Opens and he is a star right now. Should be an exciting finish to the 2018 PGA tour "season".
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
August 12th, 2018 at 8:02:00 PM permalink
Tiger shot a 6 under today. If he hadn't had had to play 29 holes on Saturday he probably wouldn't have three putted 17 yesterday. He makes the game almost interesting!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
terapined
terapined
August 12th, 2018 at 8:12:16 PM permalink

Tiger finished solo 2nd this week @ the PGA Championship. Great week for him and the pro golf world in general. He certainly seems poised to win sooner or later. He has played a lot recently, so fatigue could become a factor in the next month.

Koepka was awesome today. His putter slowed him down a little, but what a win. He is having an incredible year. 2 major wins (and he only played in 3 of 4 this year). He was 20/1 (and higher some places) to win this week. Back to back US Opens and he is a star right now. Should be an exciting finish to the 2018 PGA tour "season".

It was great to see Tiger compete for a major
2nd place is pretty incredible
He would have won except for Koepka who was awesome
Coming into today, I just thought Koepka is going to do it.
After seeing him at the US Open, I was thinking this guy is not giving anything back final round.
He's going under par which pretty much gives him the win.
No real drama like the Open when Tiger actually led for a few min.
Nathan
Nathan 
  • Threads: 65
August 13th, 2018 at 2:44:33 AM permalink
I personally thought Tiger Woods time was over and he was a Has Been but it seems he got reenergized with new life recently, like a dead device getting a new battery and roaring back to life. Good that he's back and so strong! :D
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
Keeneone
Keeneone
September 19th, 2018 at 7:13:46 PM permalink

1 major win or
2 non-major wins or

Final tourney this weekend for this to resolve. I have Tiger and you have all 29 other golfers. I like your chances of collecting on this one. GL
  • Jump to: