billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 144
October 6th, 2017 at 10:32:08 PM permalink
THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Tom Paine.

Go Yankees.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 66
Thanks for this post from:
monet0412
October 7th, 2017 at 3:28:57 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Go Yankees.

I despise political correctness so I have to root for:

Living longer does not always infer +EV
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
October 7th, 2017 at 3:31:03 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

...<SNIP>...
Using "Phoenicians" to describe Phoenix, AZ residents sounded weird to me (in a funny way, made me chuckle)...

I think they get that a lot, so I've been told. The City of Phoenix generally makes me chuckle.

I'll also be there for the Division Series game 3 when LA comes to Phoenix on Monday. Strangely, at least to me, while the Colorado game sold out in less than an hour and it was a lucky fluke that I was able to get in to get a direct sale ticket without paying way beyond face value in the secondary market on StubHub, tickets for the division series games were much easier to get, and I think there may even be some left direct from the team site. I got mine before the 'wild card' play-in game, but I thought once the location was certain a whole lot of blue clad Angelenos would be flooding in, turning PHX into an LA suburb. But they haven't. Yet, anyways.

I can't honestly expect to cash this wager at this point; I've not gotten delusional about it that way. Yet. But I feel at least temporarily a little smug just to still be live with it now, this far along with such a big longshot in the early futures prices. I've at least gotten plenty of fun for my money on this already.

The lines, last I checked this AM:

Sat-8/7
CHC +110; WAS -120
AZD +132; LAD -142

Sun-8/8
HOU -138; BOS +128
CLE -114; NYY +104

AL PENNANT
CLE 5/6
HOU 5/4
NYY 12/1
BOS 16/1

NL PENNANT
LAD 1/1
CHC 9/4
WAS 6/1
AZD 8/1

Good luck to all. But especially to me, 'cause now I need a wee bit more of it than most.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 95
October 7th, 2017 at 4:44:18 PM permalink
Ok, DD. Good luck to you, and enjoy game 3.

I'm still a little weepy about the Twins playing 1 good inning. Got my hopes up, they did. But the force run was disgusting. I think PM might have dropped the management ball a bit, to let his pitcher get into that situation and then pitch wrong-handed. But I'm not knowledgeable enough about the game to make any real second-guessing call on it.

Sigh. At least they went from losing 100 last year to the playoffs this year. Much praise for the improvement.

It HAD to be the Yankees? Insufferable. Sigh.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
October 7th, 2017 at 11:23:08 PM permalink
Ah well, after Arizona's pitching staff was turned to scrambled eggs in the (super entertaining) game with Colorado, in order to be competitive in this NLDS series they really needed to get super lucky in one of the games at Dodger Stadium. And didn't. They'll be double digit odds for getting even a sniff of the NL Pennant now, and should be, so I believe my wager is unofficially worthless. But I won't go telling them that, and here's hoping they can still show a crowd of Phoenicians a rollicking good time for a few hours on Monday.

So now it is possible to start feeling a slight twinge of empathy about the swift demise of your Twins. Actually, Chief Wahoo and I were pulling for them to find a way... preferably after about 37 innings.

Since Keeneone (sensibly) changed the channel on Wednesday (and I'd like to re-change the channel on my mood) here's the big moment of the later innings of that:

I'd say easily 20% or more of the fans at Chase Field show up wearing t-shirts that say "Bring in the Beard!" with an outline of Archie Bradley's distinctive face on them, and he has become enormously popular in Phoenix. As a relief pitcher. But never before for using a bat. So that was fun.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Oct 8, 2017
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 13
October 8th, 2017 at 8:48:31 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

-snip-
Since Keeneone (sensibly) changed the channel on Wednesday (and I'd like to re-change the channel on my mood) here's the big moment of the later innings of that:
-snip-

I definitely missed that gem on live tv. It was a great moment of Playoff baseball (unless you were the pitcher or a Rox fan). I think I found you in the crowd. You were the fan under the Petsmart sign wearing this shirt right?

Well the Yankees (aka the Evil Empire) will stay alive for one more game. Apparently Cleveland can be beat...if you steal home runs from them.
Another big day of games (4) slated for Monday, weather may be an issue for some games (BOS/NYC).
I actually like ARI (+110) with Greinke against Darvish. glta.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 95
October 8th, 2017 at 8:58:04 PM permalink
DD,

That was a great clip. All the joy of baseball, no big ego strutting. And does something never done before. And wins the game. That's pretty special.

Thanks for the empathy. Perhaps you'll prevail anyway.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 144
October 8th, 2017 at 10:13:14 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Ah well, after Arizona's pitching staff was turned to scrambled eggs in the (super entertaining) game with Colorado, in order to be competitive in this NLDS series they really needed to get super lucky in one of the games at Dodger Stadium. And didn't. They'll be double digit odds for getting even a sniff of the NL Pennant now, and should be, so I believe my wager is unofficially worthless. But I won't go telling them that, and here's hoping they can still show a crowd of Phoenicians a rollicking good time for a few hours on Monday.

So now it is possible to start feeling a slight twinge of empathy about the swift demise of your Twins. Actually, Chief Wahoo and I were pulling for them to find a way... preferably after about 37 innings.

I'd say easily 20% or more of the fans at Chase Field show up wearing t-shirts that say "Bring in the Beard!" with an outline of Archie Bradley's distinctive face on them, and he has become enormously popular in Phoenix. As a relief pitcher. But never before for using a bat. So that was fun.

In all my years of watching baseball, I can't recall a player on base going into the dugout during a pitching change.
Can anyone?
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
October 8th, 2017 at 11:54:48 PM permalink
EDIT: deleted, because my recollection was wrong
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
October 9th, 2017 at 6:32:38 PM permalink
Spamming the thread with random pointless noise from section 328:

The WiFi here sux eggs already even before most folks get here. But this time I won't need no stnkin' binoculars from this seat, so I'll take that trade..

They have two guys with little vacuums doing evey blade of grass in the outfield. Sheesh. Will they scrub & comb & floss it, before players start spitting on it?

ADD....
Middle 4th:Howzit even possible LA only has 1 run? Greinke looking like outta gas before leaving bullpen. 88 pitches, about half balls.

Top 5th, nuttin stiring in pen. Game plan: ritual sacrifice of furry mascot induces divine intervention.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Oct 9, 2017

• Jump to: