DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 63
Thanks for this post from:
RSmonet0412Zourah
June 15th, 2017 at 10:58:01 AM permalink
Just remember, if Floyd loses he is pretty much guaranteed a rematch that will earn him another $200 million.If he wins there isn't going to be another big payday like that. My guess is that his ego is too big to throw the fight.

I would personally like to see them come out in round one and touch gloves then have Connor round house kick to the head and take Floyd down in the first 10 seconds. That would create some real drama and might result in a rematch after the disqualification.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
June 15th, 2017 at 11:17:18 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Just remember, if Floyd loses he is pretty much guaranteed a rematch that will earn him another $200 million.If he wins there isn't going to be another big payday like that. My guess is that his ego is too big to throw the fight.

I would personally like to see them come out in round one and touch gloves then have Connor round house kick to the head and take Floyd down in the first 10 seconds. That would create some real drama and might result in a rematch after the disqualification.

He'll probably feint kicks and take downs just to get into his opponent's head and excite the viewer.
RogerKint
RogerKint
June 15th, 2017 at 11:34:52 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

As a fighter, I'd like to weigh in...

Lol
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
June 15th, 2017 at 11:49:47 AM permalink
Quote: monet0412

You give way too much credit for some training in boxing compared to professionals bouts in boxing only with completely different gloves and rules but that's ok, it's all opinions.

McGregor trains boxing with BOXING trainers and BOXING professionals (aka other top tier gold glove boxers) and BOXING rules. Why on Earth people keep thinking "he's an MMA fighter he doesn't know how to box" is beyond me... and again, I'm NOT saying he has a fair shot at winning even... Just saying people who don't fight have no clue what goes in to MMA training, clearly.

Quote: Rigondeaux

You're wrong on all counts Romes.

Sure, connor practices boxing. He also yhrows punches at a professional level against second tier athletes. That's still miles away from being a professional boxer, never mind an elite, never mind an all time great. The 20th best guy in the division would school connor.

See comment above about McGreggors boxing training. Also, there are PLENTY of MMA fighters (in the UFC as well) that were former gold glove boxers that get knocked out by "regular" MMA fighters ALLLLLL the time.

Quote: TomG

Every player in the NFL has trained their sprinting their entire life. What chance would Odell Beckham have against Usain Bolt in a 100 meter race?

Again, I'm not saying McGreggor will win, nor that I even like him, just that people are highly doubting him when he has a lot more training than most realize in "boxing." I'm sure you could find some of the "top" sprinters in the NFL and they could in fact "compete" with top sprinters. Do note that I'm not saying win, but it wouldn't be a complete joke. All I'm saying is I don't think the fight will be a complete joke, like everyone else is saying. AGAIN - I do NOT think McGreggor can win though.

I'm sure we could say the Alabama football team is 8/10. What would have happened if they played the New England Patriots last year?

Alabama is 8 or 9 out of 10... in college. As someone else said with sports there's levels. College is a different league than the NFL. The proper comparison to what you're saying is "could an AMATEUR MMA fighter take on Mayweather?" The answer is of course no and it would be a complete sh*t show. I'm simply stating I don't think it will be a complete sh*t show... that is all.

Quote: RogerKint

Quote: Romes

As a fighter, I'd like to weigh in...,

Lol

*edit: Wow, well now I do see the joke... Been a rough week =(.

I do tell a lot of jokes, didn't realize that was one of them. I've been fighting for over a decade... against multiple UFC vets and a plethora of talented amateurs/professionals alike spanning numerous gyms. I've had my eyebrow split open, ligaments torn, been punched in the head countless times with both MMA gloves and boxing gloves alike, as well as competed in some such highly named competitions that I won't repeat the names to give up my identity... up to an including this past weekend. Not even being mean/mad/etc, just an open invite because I love the sport... I can bring a couple pair of gloves to vegas if you'd like to find out if I'm qualified enough to be a fighter or not =).
Last edited by: Romes on Jun 15, 2017
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 14
June 15th, 2017 at 11:53:10 AM permalink

Every player in the NFL has trained their sprinting their entire life. What chance would Odell Beckham have against Usain Bolt in a 100 meter race?

I'm sure we could say the Alabama football team is 8/10. What would have happened if they played the New England Patriots last year?

-----

The only thing this fight has going for is that 2% chance McGregor does win, it will be one of the most jaw-dropping moments in sports history. But there's a 98% it doesn't happen.

2% is too high.

We're basically talking about a 1 punch ko on a guy who has only ever been in real trouble once, againt Shane Mosely, briefly, or a freak dq or injury.

Boxing is one of the more unforgiving sports for dogs because the have to win the majority of 10 to 12 seperate rounds.

However, I think there could be a great promotional tie in with holliday inn express
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 140
June 15th, 2017 at 12:00:23 PM permalink
Mayweather would never risk his record against anyone he thinks he has any chance of losing to. The Berto fight was a joke to grab money and I'm willing to bet today that Berto would also destroy Conor. Why Conor? Only because he is a loudmouth who sells tickets. That is the only reason this "boxing" match is happening. And there is nothing wrong with that. If it hurts the reputation of boxing, they have no one to blame but themselves after how they have run the sport forever.

And to the saps that buy the fight, most will be the same people who said they would never buy another boxing match after the snooze fest that was Mayweather- Pac Man. And yet they will be back gladly handing over their $100 again. Give credit to these guys for taking it.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 14
June 15th, 2017 at 12:09:50 PM permalink
Firstly, cut back on the juice. The funny thing was the phrase weigh in.

Alabama's level in football is higher than connor in boxing, by a good margin. They are the very top amateurs. Well, amateurs in theory. Like an olympic gold medalist and many will go on to be pros.

An olympic gold medalist in boxing might not even be a good pro, yes partially because of dif In format. But even a future star would have little chance against someone like Kovalev or Ward because it takes years of full time dedication and experience to reach that point.

Lomochenko, perhaps the best boxer on earth, lost to a tough journeyman for these reasons.

Connor isn't even a full time amateur boxer.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 11
June 15th, 2017 at 12:11:57 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Mayweather would never risk his record against anyone he thinks he has any chance of losing to.

I agree.

Mayweather gets to an even 50-0. Conor gets the biggest payday of his life.

It's a win-win, kinda.
The geniuses who thought HRC was running a child sex ring out of the basement of a pizza shop just can't connect the dots on all this trump-Russia stuff....
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
June 15th, 2017 at 12:27:53 PM permalink

Firstly, cut back on the juice. The funny thing was the phrase weigh in.

Yeah I saw that after you pointed it out. 100% missed it prior. And for the record, I've never been nor will I ever be on any juice =).

Connor isn't even a full time amateur boxer.

Funny, he's BEATEN gold glove boxers and trains with (and beats) top professional boxers. Yet somehow he doesn't even qualify as amateur?
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
RogerKint
RogerKint
June 15th, 2017 at 12:30:24 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

I agree.

Mayweather gets to an even 50-0. Conor gets the biggest payday of his life.

It's a win-win, kinda.

He's gotta be in the conversation for best of all time and seems to be much smarter than people give him credit for. I've heard he gambles pretty big, though and sincerely hope he doesn't lose too much money at it.

• Jump to: