lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 17th, 2017 at 4:02:53 AM permalink
I prefer betting against the money line at least with favorites and I saw the Pats at -240 at betonline.ag. Some might not like getting the reduced payout compared to the spread; a $100 bet will get you about $42 profit; but I consider it to be VERY VERY unlikely that the Steelers will beat the Pats. It looks like a really good bet to me.
Please don't feed the trolls
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 17th, 2017 at 4:21:10 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I prefer betting against the money line at least with favorites and I saw the Pats at -240 at betonline.ag. Some might not like getting the reduced payout compared to the spread; a $100 bet will get you about $42 profit; but I consider it to be VERY VERY unlikely that the Steelers will beat the Pats. It looks like a really good bet to me.

Why can't they win? Great offense and defense playing well. Gronk was their strength in first meet but he is out.

Fyi, I am from Pittsburgh so my pessimism says steelers will lose.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
January 17th, 2017 at 4:43:01 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Why can't they win? Great offense and defense playing well. Gronk was their strength in first meet but he is out.

I grew up in Youngwood and Greensburg PA. Youngwood is where I lost all my paper route money and the companies money on a Las Vegas night at the Firehall when I was 11. Shoulda demanded all my money back since they let me gamble at that age, but I knew the score and I wasn't crying.

I want the Steelers to win but the Patriots have their number. It might be close but I can't see Brady losing to that defense and Antonio Brown is more concerned with LiveVideo posts. Tomlin just likes to cry and call the Patriots names when they lose to them. I know 6 field goals won't be good enough.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 17th, 2017 at 5:19:24 AM permalink
to me the other game, packs/falcs, where the line is not all that much different, is much harder to figure

it's a very early line on the Pats game. I expect anybody waiting to bet near game time on the Pats will get a worse deal.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 17, 2017
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
January 17th, 2017 at 6:19:48 AM permalink
Being from the Carolinas and seeing the Falcons 2x a year, their D Line is a lot better than Dallas and they're used to containing Newton and WInston. Matty Ice usually has a nervous breakdown at the end of a season but hasn't yet.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 17th, 2017 at 7:58:32 AM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

Being from the Carolinas and seeing the Falcons 2x a year, their D Line is a lot better than Dallas and they're used to containing Newton and WInston.

They're not playing Dallas. They're playing Green Bay. It's sometimes useful to know who's playing before making a bet. But for many it really doesn't matter; it won't effect their bottom line.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 17th, 2017 at 8:00:22 AM permalink

They're not playing Dallas. They're playing Green Bay. It's sometimes useful to know who's playing before making a bet. But for many it really doesn't matter; it won't effect their bottom line.

He's contrasting Green Bay playing Dallas vs. playing Atlanta.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 17th, 2017 at 8:24:30 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

He's contrasting Green Bay playing Dallas vs. playing Atlanta.

yeah, I got that too late. Sorry, ncfatcat.
fastXXXeddie
fastXXXeddie
  • Threads: 0
January 17th, 2017 at 11:22:46 AM permalink
" very, very, unlikely" I doubt that. Pats will be 6 pt favorite at best, not 16! Seems like wishful thinking to me. What do you know that linemakers don't ?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 17th, 2017 at 12:19:48 PM permalink
Quote: fastXXXeddie

" very, very, unlikely" I doubt that. Pats will be 6 pt favorite at best, not 16! Seems like wishful thinking to me. What do you know that linemakers don't ?

I don't know anything that line makers don't. I have an opinion, which is what everybody who makes a sports bet has unless they just want to bet on their favorite team.I don't have a strong opinion on an NFL game very often. I could be wrong. But I'm not going to apologize for expressing an opinion which is what a great many on this site do. The line was adjusted by 3 points for the Pats being at home. Which means that on a neutral field the line considers the Pats to be only 2.5 points better than the Steelers which means the two teams are very close in ability. To say that the Steelers are very close to the Pats in ability, is to me, a stretch. The Pats won their last 4 games by 18, 21, 38 and 13. The Steelers won their last 4 games by 2, 18, 3 and 4.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 17, 2017
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
January 17th, 2017 at 1:19:02 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Don't they only lose AFC Championship games at home?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
fastXXXeddie
fastXXXeddie
January 17th, 2017 at 2:33:59 PM permalink
People were VERY VERY sure Hillary was gonna win. If you don't know who the President elect is, just ask Mike.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 17th, 2017 at 3:11:19 PM permalink

People were VERY VERY sure Hillary was gonna win. If you don't know who the President elect is, just ask Mike.

The fact that Mike made a wrong call with Hilary does not mean that his opinion has little value. You would have to look at a hundred or more bets in which a person had a strong opinion and analyze the results to see if his having a strong opinion is worth anything in the betting market.
fastXXXeddie
fastXXXeddie
January 17th, 2017 at 3:18:42 PM permalink

The fact that Mike made a wrong call with Hilary does not mean that his opinion has little value. You would have to look at a hundred or more bets in which a person had a strong opinion and analyze the results to see if his having a strong opinion is worth anything in the betting market.

Good idea. I will start researching no safety in a Super Bowl immediately
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 17th, 2017 at 4:36:08 PM permalink

Is it your point that nobody should ever have a strong opinion about a sports bet? That it is literally impossible to find an edge? That the line offered by the books is a 100% accurate true reflection of the probabilities involved on every single game offered? If that is what you are saying Billy Walters might disagree with you. And yeah I know he manipulates the lines. And yeah, I know I'm no Billy Walters. But I still believe I can once in a blue moon see something worthwhile.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
January 17th, 2017 at 5:15:09 PM permalink
Found a +6.5 this afternoon. Didn't last long, but we might see it again this week.

As of an hour ago you could also bet either -6 EV or +6 EV, essentially no vig for which ever side you liked. The books are expecting Patriots money so would be shading the line slightly toward the favorite, so I'll take the points.

Also played the under 61.5. Given that 41 and 51 are key numbers, have to believe 61 is also, even if we never remember seeing it before.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 17th, 2017 at 5:24:43 PM permalink

Cmon, Buzz. This is just rude

See ya next time.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
iamnomad
iamnomad
  • Threads: 5
January 17th, 2017 at 5:26:26 PM permalink

I dunno who'll win. Just don't see much value in a moneyline Pats bet right now. If I felt strongly about a NE win I'd lay the points as long as it's 6 or less. In the 8 playoff games so far, straight-up winner has also covered, so the points haven't mattered at all.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 18th, 2017 at 2:24:51 AM permalink
Quote: iamnomad

I Just don't see much value in a moneyline Pats bet right now. In the 8 playoff games so far, straight-up winner has also covered, so the points haven't mattered at all.

The spread/money line results for the 8 previous playoff games don't have anything at all to do with this game. I'm not really betting the money line because of greater value. I would tend to believe that in the long run there is little difference in money won or lost which ever way you bet. I do it often with favorites out of personal preference. I'm not saying it's a better bet. But I don't think it's a worse one. And I would point out that the money line quote that I now see on betonline.ag is -240/+200. Using the Wiz's straight bet calculator I found the house edge to be only 3.77%. Against the spread the house edge is almost always 4.55%. If the Pats are up by 3 with 2 minutes left in the game on their own 40 yard line they're probably going to try and run out the clock. They probably won't try to score. Antonio Brown posted a video of the Steelers locker room after beating the Chiefs showing Rothlisberger and Tomlin calling the Pats names that would get them thrown off of this forum. Fuel poured on the fire.

https://wizardofodds.com/games/sports-betting/straight-bet-calculator/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/01/18/antonio-brown-apologizes-for-postgame-video-in-steelers-locker-room/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news&utm_term=.4bddca2174f8
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jan 18, 2017
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
January 18th, 2017 at 3:12:56 AM permalink
Can't give away enough points with them Pats

I hate myself for saying that
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 18th, 2017 at 8:23:02 AM permalink
Quote: TomG

Also played the under 61.5. Given that 41 and 51 are key numbers, have to believe 61 is also, even if we never remember seeing it before.

There was a Packer game a few years ago that had a 61 total.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
  • Jump to: