No votes (0%)
2 votes (25%)
No votes (0%)

8 members have voted

Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
June 21st, 2015 at 8:52:08 PM permalink
Can Jordan Spieth win the British Open Championship and then the PGA Championship in 2015 to complete the golf "Grand Slam"?

#1 - Masters Tournament (Augusta, Georgia) - Winner.
#2 - U.S. Open (Chambers Bay - University Place, Washington) - Winner.
#3 - The Open Championship (St. Andrews, Scotland) - ?
#4 - PGA Championship (Whistling Straits - Kohler, Wisconsin) - ?

Winning all four golf majors would be quite the achievement (even in a lifetime). At 21 years old, he should have the stamina to get it done. The next two courses have many similarities to Chambers Bay. I think he has a real shot. We already had a Triple Crown winner (American Pharoah), so maybe this is the year for historic feats of athleticism...
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
June 21st, 2015 at 8:55:52 PM permalink
Wow...since the last 2 are those courses...I would say outside chance.

But I'm shocked Chambers Bay and Whistling Straits were selected in the same year...
beerseason
beerseason
  • Threads: 4
June 22nd, 2015 at 5:44:39 AM permalink
Can he, yes. Will he, no.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
June 22nd, 2015 at 6:04:02 AM permalink
Anytime you win the first two majors of the season, you definitely have the ability to do so, but I don't think he will. Depending on how the wind is blowing, St Andrews is a course where you can put up a really low number. Whistling Straits is another links style course with 14 of the 18 holes having a view of Lake Michigan. To be that good for 16 rounds of the top golf in the world in an exceedingly difficult proposition though. There are just too many really good golfers out there and IMO nobody is dominant enough to do this in those 4 tournaments
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
June 22nd, 2015 at 6:30:16 AM permalink
I must admit I had never heard of Chambers Bay before last week. Watching the open, I kept thinking it was St. Andrews, but with sunshine! (and freight trains) :)

I think Spieth has a chance to win the last two majors, but it would be a long shot.
Quote: Gabes22

There are just too many really good golfers out there and IMO nobody is dominant enough to do this in those 4 tournaments.

This.

Personally, however, I would love to see him do it. He seems like a good kid, and I think it would energize the sport. Maybe not Tiger-like mania, but it would definitely give it a boost. Plus, it would be nice to put "Tiger talk" on the back burner. With all due respect to El Tigre and his amazing accomplishments, it has become painful now to hear all the hype in the media, and then watch him struggle on the course.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
June 22nd, 2015 at 6:38:58 AM permalink
That's the most painful thing about Tiger, is networks are still showing all of his shots. Usually when a golfer loses it you just let him fade into anonymity with his crappy play like David Duval did.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 22nd, 2015 at 7:48:24 AM permalink

That's the most painful thing about Tiger, is networks are still showing all of his shots. Usually when a golfer loses it you just let him fade into anonymity with his crappy play like David Duval did.

Golf? What's golf precious, eh?
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
June 22nd, 2015 at 9:54:02 PM permalink
Yes he can, and no-one else can.

Anybody else think Dustin Johnson is going back on the crack pipe after that choke?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
June 22nd, 2015 at 10:01:23 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Anybody else think Dustin Johnson is going back on the crack pipe after that choke?

Painful to watch. More painful to experience, I 'm sure.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
June 22nd, 2015 at 10:10:31 PM permalink

I think Tiger reached a point for awhile there where he was intimidating the pros, and nobody else is doing that yet. They started in on the mythology of there is Tiger and then there was the rest of the field.

Then --poof.

I don't think anyone will win the 4 though either.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
July 12th, 2015 at 7:34:37 PM permalink
Spieth won the John Deere today in a playoff. Well he really won it yesterday with a 10 under par round. He is really hot and things seem to be going his way. Defending British Open Champ Rory McIlroy is out with an ankle injury next week. I have seen him @ 4/1 - 5/1 to win in Scotland. Great story line no matter what happens...
  • Jump to: