Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 186
April 4th, 2014 at 7:24:43 PM permalink
I've been a Pirates fan for 50+ years. The first game I remember was a twinight doubleheader from 1962 against the Dodgers: Koufax and Drysdale vs Law and Friend. The first game was 3-2 Dodgers, I don't remember the second.

Our family had season tickets from the 1920s until my dad moved to NE PA to live with us in 1998, our seats were first row behind the Pirates dugout. In the 70s my brother Jim and I saw every playoff and World Series game in Pittsburgh, including the first night World Series game ever, in 1971, when rookie Bruce Kison pitched 6 scoreless innings in relief, and also set a record for hitting three batters in one game.

We were at so many games that by sheer chance, Jim and I made the Pirates 100th Anniversary Yearbook, in a crowd shot on the Willie Stargell page. The photo is from the 1979 World Series. I'm the long haired guy right behind Willie's hand, and Jim is front and center. Jim passed away in 2009, I really miss him every year baseball starts.

NO KILL I
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
April 4th, 2014 at 8:31:55 PM permalink
I'd be thrilled if Pittsburgh made it to the post season. I love their stadium, one of the great places to watch a ball game.

----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
April 4th, 2014 at 9:06:27 PM permalink
Great story, Mosca. I love the 10 south to Chavez Ravine but everyone should see PNC park at least once.
100% risk of ruin
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
April 4th, 2014 at 9:14:25 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I'd be thrilled if Pittsburgh made it to the post season. I love their stadium, one of the great places to watch a ball game.

true dat, second only to Camden Yards.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 186
April 4th, 2014 at 9:40:17 PM permalink
FrG, I saw one of the greatest baseball games ever in Baltimore, in '74 at the old Memorial Stadium. A buddy and I had hitchhiked from Pgh to Bal for a "Dump Nixon" rally, and we had some time to kill so we took a bus to Baltimore to see the Orioles play the Athletics, Jim Palmer vs Vida Blue.

The game went 15 innings, Brooks Robinson made 2 errors and two of the greatest plays I'd ever seen, Reggie Jackson hit two home runs... it was just insane.

Here's a link to the box score, it includes a play-by-play at the bottom if you want to dig into it and see just how wild it was. The A's were winning 4-1, the Orioles scored 3 in the bottom of the 8th to tie it. Reggie hit a home run in the top of the 12th; Boog Powell hit a bases loaded single in the bottom of the 12th to tie it. Joe Rudi and Paul Blair both made two circus catches to save runs. Just a great baseball game, one I'll never forget. And the Bucs weren't eve near it!

The game ended at about midnight, and all the public transportation was done for the night, so we tried to hitch back to DC. Memorial Stadium was not in a nice part of town, so we found a train station and made it to the outskirts of the city, and hitched about halfway to DC, winding up on the side of an interstate somewhere with no way to cross, and it started raining. We found a phone booth and called a friend who was in the Navy and stationed in Arlington, and somehow he found us and took us back to his apartment, where we crashed for the night.
NO KILL I
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 6th, 2014 at 8:36:17 PM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

Hang in there Tom the Orioles are not only my favorite baseball team, but my favorite team in all of sports! Besides today, which was an awful day to play baseball, they have been hanging in there with underachieving pitching and hitting (only been four games). Didn't Britton look awesome the other day?
We're going to be okay.

Man, Padre, good to know there is another die hard fan out there. Today we at least had something to celebrate!!! :)

Also we have drawn a rediculously tough opening first few weeks of the season. Not only that but we are in the toughest division as it is!!!

Britton looked good coming out of the pen and Tillman was dominating today. I hope the other starters will take a lead from this performance and start pulling their socks up. Jimenez especially needs to show more but it is early doors yet :)

If we can win 90 this year I will be tickled pink!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 6th, 2014 at 8:45:46 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
April 7th, 2014 at 8:07:18 PM permalink
How about those TIGERS ? Was last year a fluke?

Amazing story in the local paper today about the game the other day

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/04/07/local-woman-scoops-up-cabreras-2000th-hit/
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
April 7th, 2014 at 8:21:38 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
April 7th, 2014 at 8:33:22 PM permalink
I was 16 in 1956. The orioles had another 3rd baseman then and in 57. 10 times all star. hit 343 one year to deny Ted Williams the Triple Crown. Lifetime average 306.

What a clutch hitter. Always got a piece of the ball, always. The year he hit 343 he only struck out 13 times. 13, Damn, how is that possible ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet

• Jump to: