Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
April 3rd, 2014 at 8:43:05 PM permalink
Ok, baseball season is here......

Let's start talking about who we like, who we don't, who we think will have break out years, who we don't.....

Also if you have a particularly strong fancy for a daily game, here is the thread to spot your fancies!

I think the Nationals have a strong lineup this year and they could go all the way......I'm a HUGE Orioles fan so, wouldn't it be great if these two clubs meet in the World Series.

Let's go O's, Let's go O's!!!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
April 3rd, 2014 at 8:57:23 PM permalink
Go Dodgers!
100% risk of ruin
Tomspur
Tomspur
April 3rd, 2014 at 9:02:05 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Go Dodgers!

They have a decent lineup too. Should be a cracking season!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
April 3rd, 2014 at 9:05:01 PM permalink
Phillies fan here. watching the off season moves, I knew it was going to be a long season for Phils. I don't share managements opinion that this core group of guys, Howard, Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Ruiz, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Papelbon, have one more run left in them. And if age hadn't already caught up with them, they went out and signed a few more aging players in Marlon Byrd and pitcher A J Burnett. Yikes, better buy geritol in bulk!

Ok, so top pitcher Cole Hamels starts the year on disabled list, with shoulder trouble (no big deal for a pitcher). Reliable Cliff Lee inherit opening day and gives up 8 runs, 8 earned runs in 5 innings. After starters they have absolutely no bullpen. Last year they had noone to get from the starters to the closer, but this year, Pabelbon appears done. His fastball is 90 mph, down 6 mph form 4 years ago and it has gone down every year.

I hate to give up after 3 games, but this team is not going to win many games. It's going to be a very long season and they are going to be hard for me to watch.

I too, think the Nats will rebound strong from a very disappointing year last year. Strausburg and Harper are going to put up monster numbers if thy both remain healthy.
Tomspur
Tomspur
April 3rd, 2014 at 9:09:51 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Phillies fan here. watching the off season moves, I knew it was going to be a long season for Phils. I don't share managements opinion that this core group of guys, Howard, Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Ruiz, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Papelbon, have one more un left in them. And if age hadn't already caught up with them, they went out and signed a few more aging players in Marlon Byrd and pitcher Burnet. Yikes, better buy geritol in bulk!

Ok, so top pitcher Cole Hamels starts the year on disabled list, with shoulder trouble (no big deal for a pitcher). Reliable Cliff Lee inherit opening day and gives up 8 runs, 8 earned runs in 5 innings. After starters they have absolutely no bullpen. last year they had no one to get from the starters to closer, but this year, Pabelbon appears done. His fastball is 90 mph, down 6 mph form 4 years ago and it has gone down every year.

I hate to give up after 3 games, but this team is not going to in many games. It's going to be a very long season and they are going to be hard for me to watch.

I, too think the Nats will rebound strong from a very disappointing year last year. Strausburg and Harper are going to put up monster numbers if thy both remain healthy.

I felt pretty similar to you when watchinig Ubaldo Jimenez pitch yesterday for the O's. He signed a big 4 year deal ($50 million) and I'm just unsure about his stuff. He seemed very hittable in his first start and he has lost that Colorado Rockies zip. His mechanics seem a lot better but mechanics only count for so much. I hope he finishes stronger than he starts (like last season) otherwise we could burn our fingers with the biggest single contract for a picther we have ever written.
ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
April 3rd, 2014 at 10:21:39 PM permalink
go sox
get second you pig
Tomspur
Tomspur
April 3rd, 2014 at 10:22:36 PM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

go sox

bleecchhhh :)
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
April 3rd, 2014 at 10:36:40 PM permalink
I'm a Jays fan, but they aren't going anywhere this year though I think they will amass 83 wins. I think this will be another year where the BoSox might go back-to-back. In the AL East, the Yankees are a mess with aging players and a weak rotation and weaker bullpen (plus I hate the Yankees more than I hate the Patriots), the Rays have no offencse, and Baltimore's a mess. Boston will find a way to be the AL champs and I also like the Tigers as perennial AL central champs (by about 14 games) in a colossally weak division. I always like the Mariners in the west but Oakland will take it.

On the NL side, I am going to go with the Pirates, for fun, though I think the Dodgers and Cardinals (and Nationals are stacked).
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Tomspur
Tomspur
April 3rd, 2014 at 10:40:12 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I'm a Jays fan, but they aren't going anywhere this year though I think they will amass 83 wins. I think this will be another year where the BoSox might go back-to-back. In the AL East, the Yankees are a mess with aging players and a weak rotation and weaker bullpen (plus I hate the Yankees more than I hate the Patriots), the Rays have no offencse, and Baltimore's a mess. Boston will find a way to be the AL champs and I also like the Tigers as perennial AL central champs (by about 14 games) in a colossally weak division. I always like the Mariners in the west but Oakland will take it.

On the NL side, I am going to go with the Pirates, for fun, though I think the Dodgers and Cardinals (and Nationals are stacked).

Calling Baltimore a "mess" is perhaps a little strong isn't it? :)

They don't have a bad lineup at all and their coach is also not the worst in town. What makes them a mess? Their starting pitching? Their BP?

Can't be their hitting or their fielding surely?
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
April 3rd, 2014 at 11:08:49 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

Calling Baltimore a "mess" is perhaps a little strong isn't it? :)

They don't have a bad lineup at all and their coach is also not the worst in town. What makes them a mess? Their starting pitching? Their BP?

Can't be their hitting or their fielding surely?

The starting pitcher for Baltimore is indeed a huge mess. Certainly not up to par with the rest of this division. They got a few guys who are a year or two away though, and at that point I can see them becoming a contender. As for this year, I think boston repeats. Solid starters, enough hitting, and a good bullpen.. Assuming the closer stays reliable.

• Jump to: