ComplexEnigma
ComplexEnigma
  • Threads: 19
March 29th, 2014 at 6:56:33 PM permalink
I saw an ad for this on ESPN's website and I'm curious if anyone has tried it, and what their thoughts are. It bills itself as a fantasy site instead of a gambling site, and apparently uses that to avoid the legal thorns with online gambling. From what I can tell without signing up or participating, is that the run 1 day fantasy leagues where people pick players using a salary cap and then the winner(s?) get a cash prize. I'm not sure how much of a cut they take or any of the details past that. Can anyone else fill in the blanks for me?
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
March 29th, 2014 at 7:15:21 PM permalink
They take 10%. I enjoyed it but they don't allow Arizona residents to play anymore.

Ther are many structures for payouts. You can choose any type of league you want. For example you can play in a group with 20 people and the top 10 players win. So If you enter a "league" that costs $5, your total entry costs $5.50 and fifty cents goes to the house and then the top 10 players get paid $10.

You can also play in a league with 10 people. Top 3 get paid at 1st place 50%, 2nd place 30% and 3rd place 20%.

There at also larger leagues with thousands of people if you like a bigger prize pool.

I myself made like $50 in 2 weeks. However it was a little exhausting researching lineups each day, pitching / hitting matchups, and weather. If you chose a player on the red sox and the game is rained out then you get zero points.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
March 29th, 2014 at 7:22:42 PM permalink
How is this not online gambling?
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
March 29th, 2014 at 7:49:17 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Fantasy leagues received an exemption. They are talking about getting rid of it though.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
March 29th, 2014 at 7:49:34 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

They take 10%. I enjoyed it but they don't allow Arizona residents to play anymore.

Ther are many structures for payouts. You can choose any type of league you want. For example you can play in a group with 20 people and the top 10 players win. So If you enter a "league" that costs $5, your total entry costs $5.50 and fifty cents goes to the house and then the top 10 players get paid $10.

You can also play in a league with 10 people. Top 3 get paid at 1st place 50%, 2nd place 30% and 3rd place 20%.

There at also larger leagues with thousands of people if you like a bigger prize pool.

I myself made like $50 in 2 weeks. However it was a little exhausting researching lineups each day, pitching / hitting matchups, and weather. If you chose a player on the red sox and the game is rained out then you get zero points.

Yeah, it was way too much work for me.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
March 29th, 2014 at 8:48:30 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

The legality is not black and white. Some states, like Arizona, cannot play

Edit: along with Iowa, Montana, and Louisiana
  • Jump to: