3 votes (9.67%)
2 votes (6.45%)

31 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1324
December 2nd, 2013 at 4:33:50 PM permalink
Hopefully this needs no set-up, but on Saturday Alabama had the ball on Auburn's 38 yard line, the score was 28-28, and there was one second left on the game clock. It is easy to Monday morning quarter back it and criticize the field goal attempt, but let's try to look at this from the perspective of making the call that maximizes the probability of winning the game, without the use of a crystal ball. The question for the poll is what is the mathematically best play in that situation?

Game details at Yahoo.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
December 2nd, 2013 at 4:36:48 PM permalink
It was correct to try to kick a field goal for the win.

Why risk OT?

A field goal was more likely to succeed than a hail mary.
"What, me worry?"
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
December 2nd, 2013 at 4:40:50 PM permalink
FG was the correct decision. Saban knows his kicker, and must have believed the dude had a chance to kick it that far.

The coverage of the return was horrible. Alabama players made a half-assed attempt at the tackle. Seemed like they were all expecting someone else to make the tackle.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 2nd, 2013 at 4:51:31 PM permalink
Had to try FG.....Bama had the quick athletes off the field to set up FG attempt using big slow guys for block protection. Then the same big, slow guys were forced to catch a speedball. This will end up making the list of top 10 college plays of all time.
Each day is better than the next
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 76
December 2nd, 2013 at 4:55:12 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

FG was the correct decision. Saban knows his kicker, and must have believed the dude had a chance to kick it that far.

The coverage of the return was horrible. Alabama players made a half-assed attempt at the tackle. Seemed like they were all expecting someone else to make the tackle.

I watched this game, really amazing game, back and forth with that incredible finish.
I would have tried the field goal also, why not. How many times do you see a FG attempt returned for a TD. The problem with the kicking team is they all relax after they see the ball is kicked, and just stand there watching the ball instead of keeping frosty and covering the kicked ball.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 122
December 2nd, 2013 at 5:02:57 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

It was correct to try to kick a field goal for the win.

Why risk OT?

A field goal was more likely to succeed than a hail mary.

I'm already getting killed in the voting!!!

I think that a Field Goal did have a greater probability of success than a Hail Mary, but I also think a Hail Mary had less of a chance of being run back for a TD by the defense provided you have a QB who can heave it into the endzone.

If the QB gets in trouble, he can just go down or throw it out of bounds and time is up.

The problem with the field goal unit is you have your nine best blockers, a kicker and whoever is holding out there, and if the kick is short, the guy who catches it is going to have some space to work with. The squad you have out there is not built to deal with a punt-return type situation, and they're not even down the field yet, so if the kick falls that short you know there will be an attempted return.

Another thing I don't think people realize is that the starting kicker, Cade Foster, was not on that play after going 0-3 (one blocked) and Griffith, the kicker, was a redshirt freshman who was 1-2 on the season with a successful 20-yarder, to that point.

If you throw the Hail Mary and it gets picked, there's going to be so much traffic around the guy who caught the interception that there is a very small chance of there being any meaningful attempt at a TD return. Even if there is, you've got some speed on the field with your WR's, RB and QB, so the INT return has a pretty good chance of being prevented, even if the player catches it with space, which he won't.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 122
December 2nd, 2013 at 5:17:52 PM permalink
1.) My caveat to my above statement is that Griffith had clearly tried these FG's in practice with a greater than zero success rate, or it would not have been attempted in the first place. Secondly, I would assume that Nick Saban did not expect the kick to fall that far short based on Griffith's practice efforts, or he may not have tried it. Saban probably figured the kick would at least be long enough to clear the endzone making a return impossible.

2.) Who voted for a punt? If you wanted to just end regulation, you'd just take a knee.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
December 2nd, 2013 at 5:22:08 PM permalink
I think the longer the FG attempt the more likely it will be blocked, so I would have called for a hail Mary. And I am always right...except when picking pro games vs. the spread!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 71
December 2nd, 2013 at 5:30:38 PM permalink
I agree with most here that the FG was the correct call. What I think was more controversial was the possession in the 4th quarter where they went for it on 4th and 1 and didn't try the short field goal when leading by 7.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
December 2nd, 2013 at 5:36:50 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I agree with most here that the FG was the correct call. What I think was more controversial was the possession in the 4th quarter where they went for it on 4th and 1 and didn't try the short field goal when leading by 7.

Saban had zero confidence in his kicker. 0-3. Kicker was choking big time. Asking Yeldon a top five running back in country to get a yard seemed sensible.
Each day is better than the next

• Jump to: