Thread Rating:

Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 25th, 2012 at 8:12:27 PM permalink
Greetings!

Nearly a month ago, I started a thread for Suggestions to changes to the Rules of the WoV Picks Game/Bet:

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/sports/12101-wov-picks-game-bet-suggestions/#post199127

It is true that Week 17 (Formality Week) remains to be played, however, The Wizard has Officially been declared the winner of this contest as all other players are effectively mathematically eliminated. Therefore, the measures proposed in the thread linked above will now be put to a vote with any ACTIVE (read: non-eliminated) player as of Week 16 having their vote(s) considered.

You may vote on a single measure(s) without having to vote on all of them. All votes will be announced via post in a readily understandable fashion.

The Measures to be voted upon are as follows:

1.) NEW LINE SOURCE

Premise: We currently use the Lines available at www.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/odds predominantly using the Lines from JustBet.cx except for when JustBet.cx has no Lines available for a certain proposition and another Yahoo! source does. Midwest AP has suggested that we change our source to a source such as VEGAS INSIDER

Vote: To change our Official Source of Lines to Vegas Insider.

Yes: Change the source.

No: Do not change the source.

Mission146: YES

2. FOULED LINES

Premise: MidWestAP suggests that, in the event of a fouled Line, that Line is declared, "No action." The corrected Line may later be posted, and an individual picking that line would have the option to change his Pick or have his Pick declared, "No action," with other Picks remaining in play. What does or does not constitute a, "Fouled Line," would be left to the sole discretion of the WoV Picks Game/Bet Commissioner, namely, me.

Vote: To implement a, "Fouled Line," Rule.

Yes: Implement.

No: Do not implement.

Mission146: NO.

3. PAYOUT STRUCTURE

Premise: MidWestAP (correctly) suggests that the Payout Structure is something pretty closely resembling completely ridiculous. He suggests that players will essentially pay $0.10 for every one-thousandth their winning percentage is off from the winner's winning percentage.

NOTE: If you vote, "Yes," to Item 4, then you would, by deafult, vote, "No," to this item.

Vote: To change the payout structure to this proposition.

Yes: Change.

No: Do not change.

Mission146: YES.

4. PAYOUT STRUCTURE

Premise: SOOPOO suggests that we change the payout structure to one in which each participant send me $20, and then the money would be distributed with 1st Place getting 60%, 2nd Place getting 30% and 3rd Place getting 10%. The clear positive of this is having a set amount of money on the line, but the negative (if I may) is that someone who effectively loses by one game (behind third) pays just as much as someone who effectively loses by 20.

NOTE If you vote, "Yes," to Item 3, then you would, by default, vote, "No," to this item.

Vote: To change the payout structure to this proposition.

Yes: Change.

No: Do Not Change.

Mission146: NO

5. RUNNING TOTALS

Premise: AyeCarumba suggests that we effectively have, "Running Totals," which would apply if we keep the current payout schedule, or if we change the payout schedule to that proposed in Item 3. The, "Running Totals," would be a column indicating how much money would be owed by each participant on a basis of, "If the game ended today."

NOTE You could vote, "Yes," on this one regardless of whether you vote in favor of or against Item 3 or Item 4.

Yes: Keep Running Totals.

No: Do Not Keep Running Totals.

(It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that it is irrelevant if we Vote Yes to Item 4, and easy for a player to figure out himself/herself if we Vote Yes to Item 3.)

6. PRE-PAY

Premise: Vendman1 suggests that all participants should pay in advance (probably $25) and otherwise agrees with SOOPOO's payout schedule. The pay-in-advance, however, could be implemented even if Item 3 is approved as opposed to Item 4.

Yes: Pay in Advance.

No: Do Not Pay in Advance.

7. PLAYOFF GAME OR REFUND

Premise: If Item 6 Passes and Item 4 Fails, then there will be a huge probability that there would be money left over at the end of the 2013 WoV Picks Game/Bet. This measure is to determine what is done with that money, the following two possibilities have been mentioned:

REFUND: Self-Explanatory.

PLAYOFF GAME: The Playoff Game would take any monies remaining from the pre-pays (after the results of the game were known) and would essentially combine those monies into a prize pool that would go to the winner of a winner-take-all NFL Playoff game. The Rules would be the same, EXCEPT every participant MUST pick one team against the spread AND the Over/Under for the game for every game of the Playoffs, to reduce the liklihood of ties. If a tiebreaker were potentially necessary, it would be picking the total points scored in the Super Bowl.

Mission146: PLAYOFF GAME
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
December 25th, 2012 at 8:32:25 PM permalink
1. Yes. I'd be interested to know what you mean by the "Vegas insider" line, but it should be easy to improve upon your source this time.
2. Yes. I think there should be some rule of thumb, like the line was obivously off by 7 or more points.
3. Nah.
4. No. I don't think the losers should worry about paying three different people.
5. No. KISS.
6. No. I don't want this to the legality of betting here to be called into question. Let's keep it on the honor system.
7. Playoff game.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Mission146
Mission146
December 25th, 2012 at 8:45:36 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

1. Yes. I'd be interested to know what you mean by the "Vegas insider" line, but it should be easy to improve upon your source this time.
2. Yes. I think there should be some rule of thumb, like the line was obivously off by 7 or more points.
3. Nah.
4. No. I don't think the losers should worry about paying three different people.
5. No. KISS.
6. No. I don't want this to the legality of betting here to be called into question. Let's keep it on the honor system.
7. Playoff game.

1.) Vegas Insider is a website suggested.
2.) We could do that, Lines or Over/Under +/- 7 Points is, "Fouled." I still vote No, however. The main problem, in my opinion, is that people would be unlikely to have adequate time to change their Lines, and I've never been a fan of, "No action."
5.) What do you mean by KISS? (EDIT: Oh, I get it...LOL...Ironic that I didn't, at first!)
6.) Good call. I change my vote to, "No."
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
December 25th, 2012 at 8:59:17 PM permalink
1) yes. I'm not commited to this line source, but it's one of several sites that display multiple line sources. As a result it's easier to detect a fouled line.
2) yes
3) yes
4) no
5) no
6) no
7) playoff
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
December 27th, 2012 at 5:48:03 AM permalink
The only rule that I really care about is 4. the payout structure, so I vote Yes on that. It's just easier to understand, and keeps more people interested with a shot at some money.

On the rest, whatever the group decides is fine.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 27th, 2012 at 1:51:49 PM permalink
Quote: vendman1

The only rule that I really care about is 4. the payout structure, so I vote Yes on that. It's just easier to understand, and keeps more people interested with a shot at some money.

On the rest, whatever the group decides is fine.

I'll ditto vendman1
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 27th, 2012 at 1:53:20 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

This is combined with the money being sent to Mission146 in advance. The losers will have already paid. Mission146 will just distribute the winnings to the three winners. Simple.
Mission146
Mission146
December 27th, 2012 at 1:59:58 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

This is combined with the money being sent to Mission146 in advance. The losers will have already paid. Mission146 will just distribute the winnings to the three winners. Simple.

Yeah, but there is that legality thing The Wiz mentioned.

I would just say that if that vote passes and we do not do pre-pay, then everyone is basically going to have thirty days to send me the money (after it is over) at which point I will re-distribute any monies received and flame the Hell out of whoever makes the bet and doesn't pay.

I can't stand it when Keyser...erm...I mean, people, fail to pay a small amount of money pursuant to the Gentleman's Agreement without any explanation.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 27th, 2012 at 2:56:55 PM permalink
" .I mean, people, fail to pay a small amount of money pursuant to the Gentleman's Agreement without any explanation. "

Screw the explanation. I volunteer to collect, commission free even.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mission146
Mission146
January 2nd, 2013 at 10:30:24 PM permalink
Greetings!

I just wanted to let anyone who has not voted (but participated in the game) know that I am going to allow seven more days for voting, and also send a reminder PM early next week.

Ten2Win has also declared that he wishes to proxy his vote to me, so he will vote as I vote, effectively.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 3rd, 2013 at 4:34:35 PM permalink
1. No. I propose we use the Wizard's sorta-endorsed Pinnacle site.
2. No. But a typo must be available to all players, and cannot be edited once it is posted.
3. No. Some of the players in this year's contest would have owed much more than I would be comfortable with since the proposal does not include a "cap" on the loss.
4. No. I think it is fine to settle directly with the winner(s)
5. I will abstain since it is alot of work already, and we can do the calculation ourselves, as long as the methodology for calculating "games behind" is clear.
6. No. Same reason as #4
7. Playoff Game.

Again, thank you Mission for running this season's contest. I appreciate how much work is involved, and your generous seed money for the prize pool.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mission146
Mission146
January 3rd, 2013 at 4:58:21 PM permalink
Thanks for playing! I've been telling everyone that I hate to see it come to an end for this year!
Mission146
Mission146
January 9th, 2013 at 9:36:16 PM permalink
Greetings!

The Results of the Vote are as follows:

Quote:

1.) NEW LINE SOURCE

Premise: We currently use the Lines available at www.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/odds predominantly using the Lines from JustBet.cx except for when JustBet.cx has no Lines available for a certain proposition and another Yahoo! source does. Midwest AP has suggested that we change our source to a source such as VEGAS INSIDER

Vote: To change our Official Source of Lines to Vegas Insider.

This measure passes by a Vote of 4-1 with a proposed amendment to use PinnacleSports.com Lines. If anyone wishes to second the use of Pinnacle, then we will have a supplemental vote.

Quote:

2. FOULED LINES

Premise: MidWestAP suggests that, in the event of a fouled Line, that Line is declared, "No action." The corrected Line may later be posted, and an individual picking that line would have the option to change his Pick or have his Pick declared, "No action," with other Picks remaining in play. What does or does not constitute a, "Fouled Line," would be left to the sole discretion of the WoV Picks Game/Bet Commissioner, namely, me.

This measure fails with a Vote of 2-3. There is a proposed Amendment, however, that any posted line will always remain playable, fouled or not. A second will put this to a supplemental vote.

Quote:

3. PAYOUT STRUCTURE

Premise: MidWestAP (correctly) suggests that the Payout Structure is something pretty closely resembling completely ridiculous. He suggests that players will essentially pay $0.10 for every one-thousandth their winning percentage is off from the winner's winning percentage.

NOTE: If you vote, "Yes," to Item 4, then you would, by deafult, vote, "No," to this item.

This measure passes by a vote of 5-2.

Quote:

4. PAYOUT STRUCTURE

Premise: SOOPOO suggests that we change the payout structure to one in which each participant send me $20, and then the money would be distributed with 1st Place getting 60%, 2nd Place getting 30% and 3rd Place getting 10%. The clear positive of this is having a set amount of money on the line, but the negative (if I may) is that someone who effectively loses by one game (behind third) pays just as much as someone who effectively loses by 20.

This measure fails by a vote of 2-5.

Quote:

Premise: AyeCarumba suggests that we effectively have, "Running Totals," which would apply if we keep the current payout schedule, or if we change the payout schedule to that proposed in Item 3. The, "Running Totals," would be a column indicating how much money would be owed by each participant on a basis of, "If the game ended today."

This measure fails by a vote of 0-3

Quote:

6. PRE-PAY

Premise: Vendman1 suggests that all participants should pay in advance (probably $25) and otherwise agrees with SOOPOO's payout schedule. The pay-in-advance, however, could be implemented even if Item 3 is approved as opposed to Item 4.

This measure fails by a vote of 0-4.

Quote:

7. PLAYOFF GAME OR REFUND

Premise: If Item 6 Passes and Item 4 Fails, then there will be a huge probability that there would be money left over at the end of the 2013 WoV Picks Game/Bet. This measure is to determine what is done with that money, the following two possibilities have been mentioned:

This item passes by a vote of 4-0, but is irrelevant because Item 6 did not pass.
Mission146
Mission146
January 9th, 2013 at 9:41:25 PM permalink
Effective Changes for Next Season:

1.) The Line source WILL change to VegasInsider, unless there is a second for Pinnacle which would then be put to a vote.

2.) Fouled lines will not be changed, however, Lines as originally posted may remain active and be unchangeable if there is a second to put that to a vote.

3.) The bet will change to such an extent that every player will owe the winner $0.10 for every one-thousandth of a percentage point that person is off from the winner's winning percentage. For example, if the winner has .685 and you have .585, then you would owe the winner $10.00.
  • Jump to: