Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 27th, 2012 at 8:59:12 PM permalink
Greetings!

I wanted to go ahead and start a Suggestions thread for the WoV Picks Game/Bet while we are still playing the game and the Rules are fresh in our minds.

Given the popularity and continued interest in this game, there is no doubt in my mind that barring catastrophe this game will be played again for the 2013 NFL Season. I would also like to say that if I win the PowerBall Jackpot on this Wednesday 11/28/2012 that no bet will be necessary for the 2013 incarnation of this game as I will be offering $10,000 to the prize pool!

Because that is not going to happen, my contribution will probably be $25 again...

The parameters for suggestions will be that any WoV Member is (obviously) free to comment on this thread and offer input, but only Suggestions coming from non-eliminated players or myself will be voted upon at the end of this first WoV Picks Game/Bet. If an active participant in this game likes a suggestion from any non-active participant, though, it will be put to a vote upon the active participant's request.

Voting will take place in a seperate thread at the end of this first WoV Picks Game/Bet.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
November 28th, 2012 at 4:18:25 AM permalink
Mission - Before I offer my suggestions, I want to first thank you for administering this contest. It takes some effort to post lines and update results on a weekly basis as well as some patience to work with everybody on the nuances of the rules and it's much appreciated.

Suggestions:
1) Use a line source that displays several lines and averages them. A fouled line would be much easier to detect. A suggestion is Vegas Insider.
2) In the case there is an obvious fouled line, post the correction in the thread as soon as it's detected. If someone had previously selected that line, they can change before the deadline, if they don't, that particular pick should be declared 'No Action' but their remaining picks would be in play.
3) Change the payout structure to be less confusing and easy to compute. My suggestion is to have players pay $1 for each one hundredth they are behind the winner (and leave the .600 thresehold out of the equation). So for instance if the winner is at .674 and someone is at .451 at the end of the season, then the payment would be $22.30.
playstkid
playstkid
  • Threads: 12
November 28th, 2012 at 5:26:52 AM permalink
still the same problem here....cant you guys just have a thread nfl picks week what ever......pick results week whatever and overall.......just trying to locate picks and results with all the drivel posts inbetween is not even worth the effort.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
November 28th, 2012 at 6:34:22 AM permalink
Quote: playstkid

still the same problem here....cant you guys just have a thread nfl picks week what ever......pick results week whatever and overall.......just trying to locate picks and results with all the drivel posts inbetween is not even worth the effort.

Try Official Game Thread
Mission146
Mission146
November 28th, 2012 at 1:51:08 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Mission - Before I offer my suggestions, I want to first thank you for administering this contest. It takes some effort to post lines and update results on a weekly basis as well as some patience to work with everybody on the nuances of the rules and it's much appreciated.

Suggestions:
1) Use a line source that displays several lines and averages them. A fouled line would be much easier to detect. A suggestion is Vegas Insider.
2) In the case there is an obvious fouled line, post the correction in the thread as soon as it's detected. If someone had previously selected that line, they can change before the deadline, if they don't, that particular pick should be declared 'No Action' but their remaining picks would be in play.
3) Change the payout structure to be less confusing and easy to compute. My suggestion is to have players pay $1 for each one hundredth they are behind the winner (and leave the .600 thresehold out of the equation). So for instance if the winner is at .674 and someone is at .451 at the end of the season, then the payment would be $22.30.

Thank you very much for the compliments, MidWestAP! I finally decided just to abbreviate the teams on everything except for the Lines and that has saved me all kinds of time. I usually hate abbreviating things, for whatever quirky reason, but it was just taking too long to type out Picks/Results.

1.) That will definitely be put to a vote, and then perhaps an after-vote on what source to use if anyone has any other suggestions. As you can imagine, it doesn't especially matter to me what the source of Lines is as it has no effect on gameplay.

2.) I see where that could be a good idea, but I'm not sure it's manageable. I would imagine that there are going to be people who cry foul when they get their Lines changed on them, and then it becomes more difficult to do the Results because people might have different lines. For example, if SF beats CLE 34-14 and the O/U is 45 and the Line is SF -10, then I just look at the score on Yahoo and scroll down through the picks with, "SF-Win, CLE-Lose, Over-Win, Under-Lose," on my mind, so it makes that process very quick.

I also would not like to be the sole arbiter of what is or is not a fouled line, but I don't know that there is enough time between posting the Lines and making the Picks for there to be a consensus.

If the average player had more time to spend on this game, then I would agree with you. If I win the PB (Not Happening) then we will do it exactly that way because we want the 10-Large to be won as honestly as possible, and I have nearly unlimited time to administer the game.

We will put the item to a vote, though.

3.) This will be put to a vote and I agree wholeheartedly. My payout system for this incarnation of the game is a pile of shit!!! Like most over-complicated things, it seems brilliant when you are coming up with it and then becomes ridiculous to try to effectuate.

I remember the first time I was asked about it, I had trouble coming up with an answer.

If anyone else would like to suggest alternative payout structures to the one suggested my MidWestAP, then there will first be a vote to determine if it needs changed (God, yes!) and then a vote to see what to change it to.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 28th, 2012 at 2:06:24 PM permalink
Money part-

Everone who enters mails or paypals or esends or whatever you $20.

First place wins 60% of pool
Second place wins 30% 0f pool
Third place 10% of pool

Last place owes you 20 pushups.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 29th, 2012 at 9:42:06 AM permalink
I also want to thank you for administering this for all of us Mission. I have enjoyed it very much... even the 1-5 weeks...

My one suggestion for reporting results would be to have a, "if the game ended today" column that would display the total won, and amount owed.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mission146
Mission146
November 29th, 2012 at 1:03:07 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

I also want to thank you for administering this for all of us Mission. I have enjoyed it very much... even the 1-5 weeks...

My one suggestion for reporting results would be to have a, "if the game ended today" column that would display the total won, and amount owed.

Thanks, AyeCarumba, I'm just glad everyone had fun!

The suggestion will be put to a vote, but will be unnecessary if the suggestion to base it on hundreths of winning percentage = $1.00 passes, because then you would simply subtract your record from that of the winner.
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
December 3rd, 2012 at 2:14:03 PM permalink
Mission, let me add to the list of people thanking you. I've administered a football/basketball pool a time or three and it's kind of a pain. So for you to do it every week with updated standings etc etc. is great. So Thanks Again.

I would agree with SOOPOO, that next season just get anyone who wants to enter send you X amount of cash for the season $20 or $25 sounds about right. Other rules the same, 5 games a week, confidence pick optional, skip a week if you want or forget. At the end of the season break down the prizes:

60% to win
30% 2nd place
10% 3rd place.

Loser should have to run the pick em contest the following season (impossible to enforce I know, but fitting punishment for crappy picks).
Mission146
Mission146
December 3rd, 2012 at 2:23:32 PM permalink
You're welcome, it's been a fun game!

How about something like this for prizes:

1st Place-50%
2nd Place-25%
3rd Place-15%
Dead Last: 5%
"Most Confidence" (Best Record on Confidence Picks Only, Minimum Five)-5%
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 3rd, 2012 at 4:13:51 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

You're welcome, it's been a fun game!

How about something like this for prizes:

1st Place-50%
2nd Place-25%
3rd Place-15%
Dead Last: 5%
"Most Confidence" (Best Record on Confidence Picks Only, Minimum Five)-5%

Should NOT do the "Most Confidence" unles the minimum is 15. Having someone go 4 - 1 on confidence picks then stopping ruins the idea. In general, I would avoid the "most confidence" pick altogether as the winner of that is very likely in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, anyway. Make dead last a lower percentage, like 1%!, if you feel you need such...
Mission146
Mission146
December 3rd, 2012 at 5:49:04 PM permalink
Yuck, make that a no to Dead Last and CP's then.

How about:

1st Place: 75%
2nd Place: 15%
3rd Place: 10%
Mission146
Mission146
December 3rd, 2012 at 5:52:02 PM permalink
If we're going to do fixed percentages, though, do you think we should just make the game a flat fee as opposed to the winner being based on winning percentages? If everyone is going to be mailing payments in ahead of time, it seems silly to do all the math and mail checks back to people for $2.17, $3.86, or what have you...and then them needing to send the winner an additional check for a small amount if it is a little over.

That would discourage play when someone is mathematically eliminated, (or doesn't feel they have a chance) but that's not really a big deal in that scenario.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
December 3rd, 2012 at 6:22:41 PM permalink
For what it's worth, I like the idea of the amount someone owes being variable based on how far they are from the winner. I think it keeps people engaged. I also like the winner take all approach we used this year.
Mission146
Mission146
December 3rd, 2012 at 7:04:34 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

For what it's worth, I like the idea of the amount someone owes being variable based on how far they are from the winner. I think it keeps people engaged. I also like the winner take all approach we used this year.

It will be a two-part vote, then. The first part will be a vote on the prize distribution while the second will be a vote on how the amount one owes is determined.

I do like it being based on record, I just don't want to have to write 82 million partial refund checks. What if we had whatever was left over from the $20 (or what have you) go to a Playoffs game based on the same premise. The only difference would be one must pick every game of the Playoffs, there would be no Confidence Picks, and by the time the SB came around, if you were not in the lead or only behind by one game you'd be eliminated. The tie-breaker is picking the total points scored in the SB. Anyone participating in the regular game could play.

In the Playoffs version, we could make it so each game must be picked by Spread and Over/Under.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 4th, 2012 at 9:08:22 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

It will be a two-part vote, then. The first part will be a vote on the prize distribution while the second will be a vote on how the amount one owes is determined.

I do like it being based on record, I just don't want to have to write 82 million partial refund checks. What if we had whatever was left over from the $20 (or what have you) go to a Playoffs game based on the same premise. The only difference would be one must pick every game of the Playoffs, there would be no Confidence Picks, and by the time the SB came around, if you were not in the lead or only behind by one game you'd be eliminated. The tie-breaker is picking the total points scored in the SB. Anyone participating in the regular game could play.

In the Playoffs version, we could make it so each game must be picked by Spread and Over/Under.

If we do a flat fee next year, I suggest that a portion of each entry be reserved for a Superbowl props picking contest for all regular season participants, regardless of record, unless they've dropped out. Maybe 10 prop bets and a closest to the pin "tie-breaker", with the winner taking the whole thing. I think it gives an incentive for folks who are behind to stay in.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Mission146
Mission146
December 4th, 2012 at 4:07:30 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

If we do a flat fee next year, I suggest that a portion of each entry be reserved for a Superbowl props picking contest for all regular season participants, regardless of record, unless they've dropped out. Maybe 10 prop bets and a closest to the pin "tie-breaker", with the winner taking the whole thing. I think it gives an incentive for folks who are behind to stay in.

The Playoffs Picks Game would be open to anyone who finished out the season, though. The only problem I see with it is that it tends to punish people who lose but were close to the winner in winning percentage. I guess it doesn't matter if it is a flat fee, because if the fee is $20, everyone knows they are either coming in 1st/2nd/3rd in the main game or 1st in the secondary game or are losing $20.
  • Jump to: