kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 15th, 2012 at 9:23:59 PM permalink
I am rather bummed about the results of the Denver-SD monday night game. Last year I stared doing a little bit of sportsbetting, mostly on college and pro football games. Mainly because I am a big fan, watch many games anyway and it makes it more fun to have a little action on the game. (yes I know that is a warning sign for degen gamblers). Anyway my action is rather small. $100 a game on probably 8-10 college games each Saturday, with and additional 6 or 7 Sunday Pro games, in addition to Sunday, Monday and Thursday televised games. I am currently running just a hair ahead for the year, less than $200. But let me state that I have no dilutions that my play is positive EV. I am a losing player. On 20 games wagered a week ($2000) I figure my cost (EV) to be $40-50, which is a price I am willing to pay for entertainment. I view it as similar to going to the movies or a concert. The one positive EV thing I get out of the whole deal is that I place my wagers at 2 local type stores, which do rate my action giving me credit on my players card account. It also shows other action, besides BJ on my card, which I figure can't hurt.

OK, now that I have set the stage, here is my issue. Tonight I had Denver for $100 at +105. I watched the first half, which I didn't find to my liking and at half time with the score San Diego 24, Denver 0, I jumped on line to read a couple of the message boards that I read daily. After posting in a couple threads (mainly here at WoV), minutes turned into an hour and a half as often does. I flipped the TV back on just in time to see the female sideline reporter interviewing Peyton Manning. They hadn't shown the score, but Peyton seemed pleased. Is it possible???? Yes it was possible. Final score Denver 35, San Diego 24. I had won $105, BUT, I had deprived myself of witnessing a great comeback of rare proportions. How often do you get to see the team, you are routing for comeback from 24 points down to win your wager? Not often in the NFL. 24 point comebacks in general are pretty rare, let alone when you have a buck or two on them. I did not see a single play of the second half. I guess the only silver lining is that I did not throw away my $100 ticket. Even though, small money, that would have been crushing in principal.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 15th, 2012 at 9:35:22 PM permalink
I'm satisfied with Denver's performance. I only had two small bets going with a friend this week, I laid 2:1 that the Patriots were going to win, and they lost for $20 to win $10. I had an even-money bet with the same friend for $20 in which I had Manning over 2.5 TD passes. That won.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 15th, 2012 at 9:44:51 PM permalink
It's hard to win a game when your QB switches sides in the second half :P
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
October 15th, 2012 at 10:16:31 PM permalink
Haha that's a bummer about missing the 2nd half.

I was out at the local card room getting in some play during the first half, wearing my Jake Plummer Broncos jersey. I saw bits and pieces on the TV monitors and on my radio in the car. I wrapped up the BJ around half time and was driving home, wondering if I could stand to show my face/jersey in the neighborhood bar. But, I needed dinner so I went in anyway.

HOLY SHIT!

What a game...defense showed up huge, Manning made all the throws, just an amazing combination of events for that win to happen. And to think, they even forced one fumble that wasn't recovered...I figured it was all over after SD recovered that fumble...
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 15th, 2012 at 11:30:47 PM permalink
I won two of my fantasy leagues with that come back... lovely job.

I've seen the Lions stage big comeback wins ... the 24 point comeback versus the Cowboys last year was particularly sweet, not just for the winnings in Vegas, but being the only Lion in a bar full of Dallas fans (or neutrals).
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 15th, 2012 at 11:38:00 PM permalink
Pop quiz!

What was the biggest REGULAR SEASON comeback in NFL History? Please include your answer in a Spolier.

See mine for a hint:

Not the Bills comeback against the Houston Oilers, that was a Playoff game.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
October 16th, 2012 at 4:38:07 AM permalink
Honestly, the comeback wasn't that amazing. San Diego is known for choking because of their coach who somehow is still around. Denver has Peyton Manning who now has the most 4th quarter comebacks ever.

But my actual point is, that for a 24 point comeback, this was not dramatic at all. The comeback was complete midway through the 4th quarter. And, once it was 24-14 in the 3rd, Denver looked like the team in control.

It was a fun game to watch for sure, but the comeback was more methodical (Which is so Peyton Manning) then incredible.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
October 16th, 2012 at 9:02:02 AM permalink
Decker and McGahee did just enough to win me my dynasty league fantasy game so I was very pleased
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 16th, 2012 at 9:03:55 AM permalink
I had been switching between football and baseball until the football was 24-0, so I kept it on baseball instead. Ooops.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 16th, 2012 at 9:21:47 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Honestly, the comeback wasn't that amazing. San Diego is known for choking because of their coach who somehow is still around. Denver has Peyton Manning who now has the most 4th quarter comebacks ever.

But my actual point is, that for a 24 point comeback, this was not dramatic at all. The comeback was complete midway through the 4th quarter. And, once it was 24-14 in the 3rd, Denver looked like the team in control.

It was a fun game to watch for sure, but the comeback was more methodical (Which is so Peyton Manning) then incredible.

It was less Manning and more Rivers choking. Norv Turner is a terrible coach. Him and Coach Boyarde (aka Andy Reid) should be sans jobs at the end of this season. If not before.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Nareed
Nareed
October 16th, 2012 at 9:33:44 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

I had been switching between football and baseball until the football was 24-0, so I kept it on baseball instead. Ooops.

A game going badly is no reason for you to self-flagelate by watching baseball ;)
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
October 16th, 2012 at 9:37:18 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

A game going badly is no reason for you to self-flagelate by watching baseball ;)

Ha! Fall Ball is still in session. Have a make-up game tonight and one on the schedule for Thursday. It's great to be in the stands socializing with the other parents and watching your son beating up on the opposing pitchers, then coming home to more baseball on the tube. My husband even went to that first ALCS game since he was up there for the Jets anyway. :P
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
thecesspit
thecesspit
October 16th, 2012 at 9:40:34 AM permalink
That was a late end... I watched it after the local hockey match had finished here... out off the west coast. Baseball can be tedious a lot of the time, but with a beer and something on the line... it's not bad.
Nareed
Nareed
October 16th, 2012 at 9:49:26 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

Ha!

You lost me after that.

Anyway, you should all look up Heidi Bowl. Be grateful no one in their right minds these days would even consider interrupting a football game, except for a major emergency or another football game.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
October 16th, 2012 at 9:52:52 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

You lost me after that.

Anyway, you should all look up Heidi Bowl. Be grateful no one in their right minds these days would even consider interrupting a football game, except for a major emergency or another football game.

I don't have to look it up! My parents and my sisters are RABID Raiders fans. My sister just got out of a speeding ticket this year because the cop liked her Raiders sticker and license plate frame so he gave her a warning after they chatted football for a while.
  • Jump to: