• Threads: 62
September 25th, 2012 at 12:58:52 AM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 39
September 25th, 2012 at 1:33:39 AM permalink
I don't usually make it through the Monday night games and last night was no exception...I found this video of the play:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/0ap1000000066103/Packers-broadcasters-react-to-final-play

I'm not sure how this was not overturned on replay at the very least. They are trying to say that both guys caught the ball at the same time but I don't see the same thing.

I also noticed, in addition to the normal jostling that goes on during "Hail Mary" plays, one of the Packers was blatantly shoved down and out of the way of the receiver.

The NFL is losing more credibility every week that it puts on the show with referees from D2 college football.
sodawater
sodawater
September 25th, 2012 at 1:39:40 AM permalink
deleted
RonC
RonC
September 25th, 2012 at 1:45:58 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Ron C, I am guessing you forgot the word "was" in there -- from the replay it is clear that Tate (Seahawks WR) pushes off/shoves a Packer defensive back prior to attempting to catch the ball. Which Tate didn't catch or come close to catching to begin with.

Black eye for all of pro sports tonight.

Fixed it, thanks! My writing is bad enough on a normal day...it is even worse in the middle of the night!!
soulhunt79
soulhunt79
  • Threads: 6
September 25th, 2012 at 2:00:00 AM permalink
1) I don't think it is possible to call pass interference from a replay, so that issue goes away. Whether or not the regular refs would have called that, I don't know, but I kindof doubt it.

2) There was an interview with some retired ref(no clue on the name). He mentioned something like "when they go to replay all they are looking at is whether it was a score or not". If this is truly the case, then replay is just broken. If they actually weren't looking at whether or not it was a catch by 1 or 2 people, something is just wrong.

I don't blame the refs. These are D3/High School or retired refs. The NFL was forced into using these people because they are ok with the football monopoly and won't poach D1 refs. I'm fine with that, but the NFL has run into the situation where their personal is on strike and due to other policys they can't even hire the 2nd best out there.

I don't know the full extent of the negotiations. In generally I'm not a fan of unions since I've seen them bring along very bad people with the rest of the group just because they were in a union. Professional sports are unique in that there just are not many available so this isn't some 15000 member teachers union. This is a group wanting to get their share of billions. I did hear a rumor that the refs were asking for backpay for games that they missed due to the strike. :)

The NFL is far from dead, but they need to end this strike fairly soon. Week after week of people talking about replacement refs rather than the game is not good for those billions.
sodawater
sodawater
September 25th, 2012 at 2:05:23 AM permalink
deleted
RonC
RonC
September 25th, 2012 at 2:13:16 AM permalink
Quote: soulhunt79

1) I don't think it is possible to call pass interference from a replay, so that issue goes away. Whether or not the regular refs would have called that, I don't know, but I kindof doubt it.

The interference would have had to have been called by the referees on the field; they can't review penalties from every explanation I have heard. I would agree that most interference on "Hail Mary" plays is ignored but shoving someone out of the way in such an obvious manner might draw a flag...who knows...

2) There was an interview with some retired ref(no clue on the name). He mentioned something like "when they go to replay all they are looking at is whether it was a score or not". If this is truly the case, then replay is just broken. If they actually weren't looking at whether or not it was a catch by 1 or 2 people, something is just wrong.

That sounds pretty strange indeed--there was either a "score" or a "touch back" depending on the call. Sounds like an excuse being made...

I don't blame the refs. These are D3/High School or retired refs. The NFL was forced into using these people because they are ok with the football monopoly and won't poach D1 refs. I'm fine with that, but the NFL has run into the situation where their personal is on strike and due to other policys they can't even hire the 2nd best out there.

I don't know the full extent of the negotiations. In generally I'm not a fan of unions since I've seen them bring along very bad people with the rest of the group just because they were in a union. Professional sports are unique in that there just are not many available so this isn't some 15000 member teachers union. This is a group wanting to get their share of billions. I did hear a rumor that the refs were asking for backpay for games that they missed due to the strike. :)

The NFL is far from dead, but they need to end this strike fairly soon. Week after week of people talking about replacement refs rather than the game is not good for those billions.

This is not a "strike"; the NFL "locked out" the referees back in June or so as part of a dispute over $16.5 million dollars. To be sure, refs are paid well (average salary of about $150k or so), but it is sad that the NFL would tarnish the product with people who clearly, game in and game out, cannot keep up with the speed of the game. I have to think they could have fixed the issue without making themselves look this bad.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
September 25th, 2012 at 3:30:20 AM permalink
Quote: The Announcers

That's a travesty, that is awful.

I have nothing further to add. But if the NFL wants to use these refs instead of competent ones then who am I to complain. It probably means cheaper ticket prices for me even though I haven't been to a football game in 30 years.

Poe's Law smiley included :)
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
September 25th, 2012 at 3:43:46 AM permalink
I should have taken a screenshot of my Facebook just a minute after the game, I've never seen any single subject take up so much space (Seattle is my hometown). By in large most Seattle fans are skeptical on whether or not it was the right call, on the other hand it's nice for a few fuck ups to go our way for a change. There's still a lot of anger over Super Bowl XL (we didn't play well, but the refs were horrid), so it's just like we were paid back.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1223
September 25th, 2012 at 4:22:25 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

There was also talk of sports books declaring all bets on that game "no action." Is this possible to happen? I think that would be the right thing to do to avoid the appearance of profiting from this debacle.

I highly doubt that would happen. It would set a terrible precedent. You know the people who bet on Seattle will demand to be paid, and rightly go to Gaming if they are refused. The sports books will not pay one side and push the other, because somebody has to lose.

It is my understanding that the books go by NFL.com or the Associated Press for the actual score of the game, which will say that Seattle won by 2. Where it can get tricky is what happens if said source changes the result after initial publication? In that case, I think they go by what was initially published. This turned out to be the case with the number of kickoffs in the 2009 Super Bowl.

So, sorry Packer bettors, but you lost. Bad officiating is part of the game sometimes.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.

• Jump to: