IAchance5
IAchance5
  • Threads: 41
February 6th, 2011 at 1:14:42 PM permalink
So I've heard that if you play VP, your bankroll variances can be quite large depending on if you hit any big tings (i.e. 4 aces, royal, etc).....but are the bankroll variances about the same for slots too? Or is the spread of winnings or losing a little tighter than in VP?
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
February 6th, 2011 at 1:59:37 PM permalink
Quote: IAchance5

So I've heard that if you play VP, your bankroll variances can be quite large depending on if you hit any big tings (i.e. 4 aces, royal, etc).....but are the bankroll variances about the same for slots too? Or is the spread of winnings or losing a little tighter than in VP?

The difference in house edge is what's more relevant; since slots have 10-20x the HE of VP, you can get killed a lot more quickly at slots, regardless of the relative variance of the two games. To answer your question, though, most slots have MUCH higher variance than VP. In most VP games, the biggest jackpot pays 800-1 (the royal flush). Very few slots have a maximum jackpot that is that small relative to the original bet. This means that VP can give the player lots of small winners and pushes, which slots do not. This contributes to VP's realtively low variance.

One variety of slot machine that is lower variance than most is Double Diamond, which has a jackpot of only 800-1, which means both that that jackpot occurs relatively often, and that the machine can "afford" to give you a high frequency of small wins.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
  • Jump to: