Thread Rating:

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 97
  • Posts: 13594
September 1st, 2018 at 7:53:31 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Isn't getting $5 for a $5 bet in Roulette called Even Money? I may be confused.



If roulette paid true odds, any even money win would pay slightly more than you bet, because you would also lose on 0/00. So if you bet red, you win 18 out of 38 times. Same for black. Even. Odd. High. Low.

All those bets are slightly against you, but they only pay even money for them. That's how they make their money, over time.

They take all your money when you lose. But they pay you slightly less than full odds when you win.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 211
  • Posts: 5319
September 1st, 2018 at 8:35:09 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

It is "voila'' from the French and no I have no idea how to type that accent mark on a computer. It means 'see there' 'demonstrated' 'proven' 'made apparent'.

Casinos always 'nick' bettors in some manner.

Roulette "should' pay 5.26 when you have bet 5.00 but they only give you the 5.00.

Making you feel like a cheapskate and making you walk to the cage to get your pennies is just a way they can get you to 'donate' money they would otherwise have to keep in their machines.

Some banks do this too. They round off the pennies to the dollar amount.



Yes voila

I knew that. Wallah was annoying me as not quite right but my brain froze.

Thx
unJon
unJon
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 998
Thanks for this post from:
tringlomane
September 1st, 2018 at 8:46:31 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

It is "voila'' from the French and no I have no idea how to type that accent mark on a computer. It means 'see there' 'demonstrated' 'proven' 'made apparent'.

Casinos always 'nick' bettors in some manner.

Roulette "should' pay 5.26 when you have bet 5.00 but they only give you the 5.00.

Making you feel like a cheapskate and making you walk to the cage to get your pennies is just a way they can get you to 'donate' money they would otherwise have to keep in their machines.

Some banks do this too. They round off the pennies to the dollar amount.

5.26 house edge does not mean a $5 bet should pay 5.26 instead of $5. It “should” pay $5.55555555....
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
mustangsally
mustangsally
Joined: Mar 29, 2011
  • Threads: 25
  • Posts: 2463
Thanks for this post from:
unJontringlomane
September 1st, 2018 at 8:49:01 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Casinos always 'nick' bettors in some manner.

Roulette "should' pay 5.26 when you have bet 5.00 but they only give you the 5.00.

nice try
but not correct, unless you are actually answering a different question you did not write.
*****
for the 'evens' at 00 Roulette

a $5 bet should pay $5 5/9 to be a 'fair' payoff
that would be difficult to do except on an electronic game, imo

but $18 could pay $20
or
$9 pays $10 ($90 pays $100, sweet)
or
$4.50 pays $5

just remember q/p
q=20/38
p=18/38
that is the payoff factor for a 0% house edge

no one hurt

except KU! (Kansas)
pu!
Sally
I Heart Vi Hart
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 261
  • Posts: 13694
September 2nd, 2018 at 1:58:59 AM permalink
As always, when it comes to math I sort of just have to accept whatever it was you said.

I've no ability at all to deal with your post rationally, so whatever it says I'm sure you are correct.

The point I was trying to make was an example of "the nick" rather than "the humungous chunk". The teensy, weensy amount is how the casino gets its money. So a slot ticket that rounds down any pennies is just yet another example of 'the nick'. You've been gambling, drinking a bit, you are cashing out, etc. its just less likely that you will feel like trekking to the cage and encountering a line than you will just let the pennies go.
darkoz
darkoz
Joined: Dec 22, 2009
  • Threads: 211
  • Posts: 5319
September 2nd, 2018 at 2:23:28 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

As always, when it comes to math I sort of just have to accept whatever it was you said.

I've no ability at all to deal with your post rationally, so whatever it says I'm sure you are correct.

The point I was trying to make was an example of "the nick" rather than "the humungous chunk". The teensy, weensy amount is how the casino gets its money. So a slot ticket that rounds down any pennies is just yet another example of 'the nick'. You've been gambling, drinking a bit, you are cashing out, etc. its just less likely that you will feel like trekking to the cage and encountering a line than you will just let the pennies go.



I totally agree with you (even down to just accepting Sallys math cause its beyond pur capabilities)

But I feel this 'nick' is beyond the house edge concept

There is a natural expectation that cashing out will return all your money and not be forced to go to a secondary measure of waiting on a cashier line

In an industry known for its addiction handing a slot ticket for just enough to make a wager thats going to be on so few lines its almost neglible there is any return is like handing a tiny drop of alcohol to the drunk as he is leaving the bar (and charging him for it)

Someone mentioned above they dont have to pay to load silver now into the machine. Well whats to stop them from deciding they dont want to load those pesky dollar bills?

Slot tickets for $99? Get back $95 and a voucher for $4

Yea then you are on line at the cashier. Or more likely throwing it back into the convenient slot which also accepts your voucher

Like anything in life (voter suppression or gifts that have to be redeemed by mail) making things more difficult is just a way to keep other peoples money by erecting false barriers

Playing roulette or any other casino game is the nick you get for willingly making a wager. And the expectation of possible reward

A nick for trying to leave with every penny you have left to your name? Thats NOT a house edge. That has no expectation of further reward. There should not be any money grab there... unless you are a huge corporation who has figured out how to legally steal

One final note (if any of us took those penny vouchers that might be thrown away guess what happens to us)
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 1669
September 2nd, 2018 at 4:20:03 AM permalink
I'm not sure whether the Netherlands have adandoned anything less than 5c or whether it was a casino thing. Anyway I cashed out a win of (say) EUR 25.43c and only received EUR 25.40. Out of principle I complained to the manager who said they always round the payouts up and I said give the 5c to charity.

Before you say, but that means you can play a 1c machine for free, it's only if you win a meter win that you can get this; so they can afford it.

btw UK casinos keep a float of pennies and small change, so it must be a pain for them!

(aisde) For fun, probably halloween, I once played a machine with 13p a spin and got a feature. Although every pay was a multiple of 5p I somehow won 78p!
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Joined: Dec 29, 2013
  • Threads: 15
  • Posts: 1956
Thanks for this post from:
AxelWolf
September 2nd, 2018 at 7:46:49 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I totally agree with you (even down to just accepting Sallys math cause its beyond pur capabilities)

But I feel this 'nick' is beyond the house edge concept

There is a natural expectation that cashing out will return all your money and not be forced to go to a secondary measure of waiting on a cashier line

In an industry known for its addiction handing a slot ticket for just enough to make a wager thats going to be on so few lines its almost neglible there is any return is like handing a tiny drop of alcohol to the drunk as he is leaving the bar (and charging him for it)

Someone mentioned above they dont have to pay to load silver now into the machine. Well whats to stop them from deciding they dont want to load those pesky dollar bills?

Slot tickets for $99? Get back $95 and a voucher for $4

Yea then you are on line at the cashier. Or more likely throwing it back into the convenient slot which also accepts your voucher

Like anything in life (voter suppression or gifts that have to be redeemed by mail) making things more difficult is just a way to keep other peoples money by erecting false barriers

Playing roulette or any other casino game is the nick you get for willingly making a wager. And the expectation of possible reward

A nick for trying to leave with every penny you have left to your name? Thats NOT a house edge. That has no expectation of further reward. There should not be any money grab there... unless you are a huge corporation who has figured out how to legally steal

One final note (if any of us took those penny vouchers that might be thrown away guess what happens to us)



A step further than the “they’ll leave the pennies behind if we don’t have change in machines,” is the equivalent for tables players. They generally have no chip line and you have to wait behind 14 people doing a second mortgage or some sort of complex financial transaction so you can do a 30 second transaction. Hey.....maybe they’ll just leave the chips and we might change chips before they come back if the chip amount divided by wait time is lower than their hourly wage!

Viejas just did a chip changeover August 20th, and only would cash old chips until September 1st. Most places when they do that give around three months. Difficult not to see that timeline as an attempt to steal money.

Also for slots, the places that make the tickets expire in 30 days rather than 90-180 or never, can’t convince me that additional money “stolen” isn’t a factor in that sort of timeline.
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on Sep 2, 2018
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 175
  • Posts: 10054
September 2nd, 2018 at 9:23:04 AM permalink
Wait a sec...

I thought that, in most jurisdictions anyway, that abandoned TITO money goes to the state.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3333
September 2nd, 2018 at 9:57:17 AM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Wait a sec...

I thought that, in most jurisdictions anyway, that abandoned TITO money goes to the state.



They are surely honoring that....lol

  • Jump to: