mesca
mesca
  • Threads: 1
August 10th, 2010 at 11:28:18 AM permalink
Hello,

I am designing an electronic slots machine for fun.
I come fromwhere I already got a lot of answers, but I still have a question I can't figure out:

In the case of multi-paylines machines, is there a known algorithm to generate "lookup tables" based on the weight I want to assign to each symbol?

It is easy to make a 9-reel slots where each slot spins independently, but not as easy for a 3-reel slots with three paylines...

Thank you for your help,

--
M.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
August 10th, 2010 at 11:50:17 AM permalink
Multi-line slots don't have don't have weighting tables, except for some 3-reel games. Otherwise, each stop has the same probability.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mesca
mesca
August 10th, 2010 at 12:14:40 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Multi-line slots don't have don't have weighting tables, except for some 3-reel games. Otherwise, each stop has the same probability.

That considerably simplifies my problem.

What about single-line slots? It is quite easy to manually come up with strips (even with including a near-miss effect). All I need to do is letting it run for a few millions spins, check the stats, rinse and repeat. But is there an existing algorithm to automagically generate those strips?

--
M.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
August 10th, 2010 at 12:34:54 PM permalink
Quote: mesca

But is there an existing algorithm to automagically generate those strips?

Not that I'm aware of. I create all my slots by hand.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
mesca
mesca
August 10th, 2010 at 12:55:35 PM permalink
Ok. Thanks for your answers.
Now, back to the programming :)
marksolberg
marksolberg
  • Threads: 26
September 15th, 2010 at 12:13:43 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Multi-line slots don't have don't have weighting tables,

Just so we're all talking about the same thing. Every symbol that might appear does not have an equal probability of appearing on the paylines, even with video multi-line slots. While there might be 15 different symbol types, there could be 80 virtual stops. The lower paying symbol might be 15 of the 80 virtual symbols and the top award only 1 symbol.

Mark
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 15th, 2010 at 1:03:56 PM permalink
Quote: marksolberg

Just so we're all talking about the same thing. Every symbol that might appear does not have an equal probability of appearing on the paylines, even with video multi-line slots. While there might be 15 different symbol types, there could be 80 virtual stops. The lower paying symbol might be 15 of the 80 virtual symbols and the top award only 1 symbol.

Mark

Right, but in a 3-reel game the 80 virtual stops are mapped to 22 (or so) physical stops, while in a multi-line game the 80 virtual stops are actually laid out in a reel strip with 80 stops. Otherwise the different paylines would have different EVs. You could technically do that but the PAR sheets would be gigantic. And it might violate regs depending on where you are and the relative value of each payline.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
marksolberg
marksolberg
  • Threads: 26
September 15th, 2010 at 1:10:40 PM permalink
Yes, you are correct. I shouldn't have mentioned virtual stops. My point was that just because you see a top award symbol and say a single bar it doesn't mean they each have the same probability of appearing in the paylines. I thought that's what the original poster was asking about and I just wanted to be clear.

Mark
  • Jump to: