Dween
Dween
  • Threads: 66
March 3rd, 2014 at 8:58:15 AM permalink
When passing by a bank of slots, I noticed they were generic, specialized games made just for tournament play. Heavy pays, simple symbols and combos. What really caught my eye was that occasionally a large symbol appeared on a reel, that when touched, scored bonus credits. I imagine players were instructed to look for and touch these symbols.

If this level of interactivity were introduced into regular slots, how would this affect the player base? Would younger players see this, and be attracted to it? Would older players not want to be bothered by such things?

If a person missed out on a 'touchable' bonus, would they simply lose out? Would it be given to them anyway? I know that slots are chance-based, so is this kind of feature completely out of the question?
-Dween!
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
March 3rd, 2014 at 9:31:35 AM permalink
Interactive displays are common on many slots. Video poker's "skill based" selections have been around for years. Many new slots offer "chance based" selections that seem to appeal to all players in general. I don't know of many players who prefer the older physical reel machines. The interaction and variation provided by the touch-sensitive displays are hit among slot players. Full disclosure: I don't play them, but my wife is an "expert."
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
March 3rd, 2014 at 11:20:00 AM permalink
Quote: Dween

If this level of interactivity were introduced into regular slots, how would this affect the player base? Would younger players see this, and be attracted to it? Would older players not want to be bothered by such things?

If a person missed out on a 'touchable' bonus, would they simply lose out? Would it be given to them anyway? I know that slots are chance-based, so is this kind of feature completely out of the question?

If I'm understanding what you are describing correctly, slots of this nature have been around for a long time...and as much as I talk about them for other reasons...Quick Hits Platinum is an example.

The way the Bonus Games work is the player selects from 20 different boxes which contain as follows:

20 Free Games---3
15 Free Games---3
11 Free Games---3
10 Free Games---3
7 Free Games---4
5 Free Games---3
Wild + 5 Games---3

After the player Matches three boxes, or matches 2 Boxes plus the Wild + 5 Games box, the player gets that number of Free Games multiplied by 2x wins (or the number plus five), unless the player gets three 20 Free Games or two 20 Free Games + Bonus because 20 Free Games is a 3x multiplier.

The only way for a player to, "Miss out," is to get up and leave the machine and for someone else to take it. The game will refuse to continue until you select from the boxes.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 3rd, 2014 at 2:05:20 PM permalink
Yeah, my g/f played in one of these at the Quad during our trip. I should have tried to sneak a pic (video) of it in play. It looked more fun than the standard slot tournament.

Mission, no, this is a tournament slot machine where you have maybe 1 second to touch an item on the screen for bonus points while spinning a slot machine at the same time. It does not stay available indefinitely from what I saw.

It was an interesting concept, but I'm not sure said type of "skill" machines would be legal for actual slot machines in Nevada currently. I just rescanned the regulations, but I'm not convinced they are illegal eiter because they are too vague for my taste (I think they should be). GLI-11 doesn't clearly discuss this possibility either. But I am thinking for promo machines, the regs are likely flexible enough for this. They require a level of dexterity that not all slot players have to improve their outcome. As someone with poor dexterity myself, I would definitely be at a disadvantage over others and would never play something like this for real money. I have never heard of an actual slot game with a bonus award that was dependent on dexterity. Bally's "Total Blast" has a bonus like this, but your monetary award for the bonus has nothing to do with your performance.
Dween
Dween
March 3rd, 2014 at 2:11:54 PM permalink
I think there is a misunderstanding. I know there are touchable, selectable icons during bonus rounds. I'm talking about something where, say, when a spin is complete, an icon would have to be touched in order to score a bonus. If you spin again without touching it, you lose it. Paying attention would be paramount.

In fact, here is a clip of the exact slot tournament I saw. Notice the large balloon that the players are tapping on-screen, which is awarding 5000 credits/points. I actually don't know if you lose the bonus if you don't touch it. What if there was a reaction-based bonus, the quicker it's tapped, the bigger the bonus?
-Dween!
tringlomane
tringlomane
March 3rd, 2014 at 2:29:43 PM permalink
You didn't attach a clip. Here's one. If I play this the next time at the Quad, I'll let a 1000 point symbol go for sure. Not letting the "Switch to 1st Place" symbol go though. :P This lady never missed a symbol, so can't say from her.

supermaxhd
supermaxhd
  • Threads: 12
March 3rd, 2014 at 2:43:26 PM permalink
I don't play slots, just VP and blackjack but I have been invited to three $50,000 slot tournaments over the last year where top 40 win something. From what I can tell they are usually limited to about 300 people. The ones I have played last for three minutes and you do need to press the bonus symbols when they appear. It is not much of a challenge to touch the symbols and get the bonuses. I don't think I missed any of the bonus points. I am not sure why you would let any bonus go without taking it. You don't put any money in the machines to play. Just press the button as fast as you can for thee minutes. You get points for the national slot league and winners get a free trip to Vegas for a chance at a million in the finals.

The last one of these I played in the weather was bad on that day and at over half the seats in each session was empty. That didn't help me. They had a rebuy for $100 during the final hour to try to get into the top 40 and play in the final rounds.
gambling problem? split tens!
supermaxhd
supermaxhd
  • Threads: 12
March 3rd, 2014 at 3:08:29 PM permalink
Press spin as fast as you can. It does not cause you to miss the bonus points.
gambling problem? split tens!
tringlomane
tringlomane
March 3rd, 2014 at 3:15:59 PM permalink
Quote: supermaxhd

Press spin as fast as you can. It does not cause you to miss the bonus points.

Yeah, I thought this might have been a possibility too.
Dween
Dween
March 3rd, 2014 at 4:08:10 PM permalink
The video attached above shows what I am talking about. The link I had was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUv99XFNoak. Much shorter, but also gets the idea across.

I could see a 'dexterity' bonus symbol in an iPad or FaceBook slot game, though... even thought of programming one for fun. Something where a moving bonus needs to be tapped/clicked.
-Dween!
  • Jump to: