kauboj
kauboj
  • Threads: 16
February 3rd, 2012 at 10:34:32 PM permalink
What is a good playing strategy for online poker play. You cant really play a tight game because even if you play the AQ(s) AJ(s) A10(s) and AK you have so many players playing any 2 cards that tight play still does not put you and better advantage. I find alot of players raising and going all in on marginal hands that almost always burn the best starting hands.

Its kinda frustrating. you get AK(s) and call or even raise preflop and you get an all in behind you and if i call the all in i find the all in was made on a 9h4d and low and behold that player get 2 pair or gets trips and bam out...

Alot of times i am finding this in live play too.. you get a decent starting hand only to have someone behind you make a ridiculus preflop raise that you wind of folding out to find their hand was marginal. and its not like you atleast have the flop to make a reasonable decision. and if you fold every hand that way you will be wittled out... if you make calls based on the better starting hand.. and get hammered by the marginal hand your no better off.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
February 3rd, 2012 at 11:41:42 PM permalink
Quote: kauboj

What is a good playing strategy for online poker play.

If you can't play well live, don't assume online is any easier.

You cant really play a tight game because even if you play the AQ(s) AJ(s) A10(s) and AK you have so many players playing any 2 cards that tight play still does not put you and better advantage.

Could you link me to the room (website) where you have so many players playing any 2 cards? I want to play there. If you mean money play, of course.

Its kinda frustrating. you get AK(s) and call or even raise preflop and you get an all in behind you and if i call the all in

Why do you call a pre-flop all-in if you don't have at least a high pair?
AK is just one inch above trash pre-flop.
Pre-flop hands rank like this: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88, 77, 66, 55, 44, 33, 22, AK, trash. There is a bit of a divide as to whether AKo ("o"=offsuit) is also trash.
The reason AK is considered a premium hand and low pairs aren't is because you can just fold AK right away if you miss the flop and get off cheap.

Of these depending on how tight or loose a table is, proper pre-flop all-in calling range should vary between AA,KK and 99...AA. Some would add 88, but only if you are in the pot already; 88 is about the lowest hand even a donk would all-in pre-flop other than as a bluff attempt.

if you make calls based on the better starting hand.. and get hammered by the marginal hand your no better off.

Better hands are better exactly because they win more often than others.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 4th, 2012 at 6:34:47 AM permalink

What is a good playing strategy for online poker play. You cant really play a tight game because even if you play the AQ(s) AJ(s) A10(s) and AK you have so many players playing any 2 cards that tight play still does not put you and better advantage. I find alot of players raising and going all in on marginal hands that almost always burn the best starting hands.

Its kinda frustrating. you get AK(s) and call or even raise preflop and you get an all in behind you and if i call the all in i find the all in was made on a 9h4d and low and behold that player get 2 pair or gets trips and bam out...

Alot of times i am finding this in live play too.. you get a decent starting hand only to have someone behind you make a ridiculus preflop raise that you wind of folding out to find their hand was marginal. and its not like you atleast have the flop to make a reasonable decision. and if you fold every hand that way you will be wittled out... if you make calls based on the better starting hand.. and get hammered by the marginal hand your no better off.

It sounds like people are easily able to bluff you off of a hand which is better than theirs. I guess they are looking to play with someone like you.... Seriously, if you find a player is consistently calling or raising with crap, of course they may get lucky every now and then, but you should be able to easily take advantage of that player in the long run.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
February 6th, 2012 at 9:43:53 AM permalink
Evil Bot has no fear. Raise them pairs and Slick maximum. You holdin a high pair also? put'em all in.
Second, this style of play occurs with DEEP pockets at the table pricing. There are a lot of under-priced game-bots and strategies. Try a $1 to $5 tournament, where for one price you can play till the chips dissapear. Nasty game: go for broke strategy. Cheap fun for a buck, ehh?
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
kauboj
kauboj
  • Threads: 16
February 6th, 2012 at 5:36:34 PM permalink
ok for example... J-J called all in - player had 6-2 off suit. hit the straight
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
February 6th, 2012 at 6:13:46 PM permalink
Like I said DEEP pockets. Crap happens, brick and mortar or on-line. If you can't handle it, you can't handle it.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
blakepaul
blakepaul
  • Threads: 0
February 9th, 2012 at 10:26:34 PM permalink
Really interesting points here. Online poker seems to be a good thing to play with, as long as you are really dedicated to it. In that way, things would work out pretty well in the long run.