PeterMorris
PeterMorris
  • Threads: 9
February 14th, 2014 at 12:58:16 PM permalink
to bet or not to bet - does it make a difference if I'm small blind?

A six player game. Small blind is 1 coin, big blind is 2 coins.
Playing means that I bet 2 coins for a chance of winning 12 coins.

I draw suited 5-4

I have an EV of -0.0125. That means I should fold. Correct so far?

But what if I'm small blind? I've already put in 1 coin. It's a sunk cost. I won't get it back if I fold.

If I bet, I only have to bet 1 coin for a chance of winning 12.
Does that make a difference? Has the EV become positive? Has it become a worthwhile bet? Or should I still fold?
Impmon
Impmon
  • Threads: 0
February 14th, 2014 at 1:29:23 PM permalink
It's a hideous hand in the worst possible position post-flop. A (4,5s) is going to require just E-SSSS loads of help. It's a definite long shot right there. Even if you flop good, you're left in the position of guessing: will a check-raise work? What about leading? How much? The problems continue all the way to the river.

Yes, you get a "discount" on the call that other players don't get. It's still not enough to be playing trash hands. Muck it and move on. The small blind is -EV and there is nothing you can do about that. Don't fall for this trap and make it worse than it needs to be.

Do your speculating on the button with position.
PeterMorris
PeterMorris
February 14th, 2014 at 2:27:55 PM permalink
Okay, first of all, I'm a novice, and I don't know what all of those words mean. What's a check-raise? What's leading?

Secondly, I know it's a hideous hand. I deliberately picked one that is just slightly negative EV.

Third, I'm interested in the maths. Simply as a question, does small blind change the EV of a hand, ever?

And in general, are there any borderline hands, where it would be worth p;laying as SB, but usually not?
endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
February 14th, 2014 at 3:44:40 PM permalink
Quote: PeterMorris

Third, I'm interested in the maths. Simply as a question, does small blind change the EV of a hand, ever?

Yes. Also highly important is the number of callers and if you think the Big blind will raise behind you.

And in general, are there any borderline hands, where it would be worth p;laying as SB, but usually not?

Yes, but which ones is highly dependent on the kind of game (limit vs no limit).

I actually think 4-5 suited is not a bad call there if there are 6 to the flop. The key is being a good enough player to lay down second best hand if you catch it. That is very though for a novice, but over time that flop is well worth a dollar if you have some loose callers in your game who will pay you off if you nail the flop.
Kickass
Kickass
  • Threads: 11
February 14th, 2014 at 4:08:34 PM permalink
Peter, Poker is a game of people. It's not the hand I hold but it's the people I play with.
At the tight table, you want to play aggressive with this hand. At the loose table, you want to play it very defensively.
Math is important but it is not everything.
Leave Katie alone. Rasul: Or what? Or I come back and break your F** legs
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
February 14th, 2014 at 10:17:00 PM permalink
A totally unscientific approach... the other 4 limpers are taking 5 to 1. It looks loose if everyone calls. You make the call, if its raised you fold.
You miss the flop fold, top pair on the flop raise, middle pair call a raise. Open-ended straight or 4-flush on the flop raise anything. What... its social poker: not rocket science.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
February 14th, 2014 at 10:20:49 PM permalink
Is this limit or no limit?
michael99000
michael99000
February 14th, 2014 at 10:47:13 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

A totally unscientific approach... the other 4 limpers are taking 5 to 1. It looks loose if everyone calls. You make the call, if its raised you fold.
You miss the flop fold, top pair on the flop raise, middle pair call a raise. Open-ended straight or 4-flush on the flop raise anything. What... its social poker: not rocket science.

I agree with everything you said except raising top pair on the flop.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
February 15th, 2014 at 7:50:12 PM permalink
Quote: anonimuss

First of all it's 11-1 odds. Second of all, no limit hold em poker has very little to do with ev pre flop, it's about implied odds and this is about as good a play you can find. Anybody folding here should never play poker again.

Are you sure we're talking about no limit?

I call either way but I wouldn't necessarily suggest that a beginner who is outclassed call in a NL game. If you're going to go broke every time you make the 2nd best hand I think you have to fold.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
February 15th, 2014 at 8:21:00 PM permalink

I'm not so sure it's no limit either. I think it's an easy hand to get away from even for a beginner. Easy for a beginner with poker instincts anyway.

Beginners don't have poker instincts. When they have a flush those chips are going in.
socks
socks
  • Threads: 15
February 15th, 2014 at 9:41:48 PM permalink

...I have an EV of -0.0125. That means I should fold. Correct so far?

But what if I'm small blind? I've already put in 1 coin. It's a sunk cost. I won't get it back if I fold.

If I bet, I only have to bet 1 coin for a chance of winning 12. ...

the bottom chips that you have already matched are overlay, not sunk costs.
Eazzy
Eazzy
  • Threads: 4
February 16th, 2014 at 7:15:31 AM permalink
This is generally going to be a call. It of course matters if this is limit or not limit. If it no limit it depends on the stack size...one can't discus no limit without telling what the stacks sizes are. If you have $10 in front of you in a 1-2 no limit game its probably a fold.

A bit of a note...if its limit it would be correct to call for implied odds. But if the big blind then raised and everyone else called...even though you still getting 11 to 1 it now may become a fold...because your implied odds just got slashed in half....implied odds are the money you could win post flop and in a limit game it often just 1 bet per round (5 small bets)
tilt247
tilt247
  • Threads: 2
February 16th, 2014 at 11:40:28 AM permalink
Ok, I know you are looking for the math, but there is more than just math. You also have to play the people and recognize betting patterns and tendencies of these players. You say you are a novice, so you are likely not to know the competition you are up against. Why try to make complicated plays if you yourself do not understand them and if you are not sure if others will see past or through the play itself. I like to say I am a decent NL player and I pick on those who I know are weak at the game. I don't want to play against good players, I want newbs, tourists etc. I don't want to have to constantly try and outwit a good player. It's exhausting. Playing out of position with weak cards is negative EV period. If you are going to play this way, represent a big hand. Come out firing. You are out of position on every street so keep firing on all streets. Example:
You have 4/5 suited in SB with 4 callers. In a $1/$2 game you have $8 plus the BB which is $10. If you want to play a negative EV hand at this point, why not represent something you don't have and fire. I say raise to $14. Now if and when you get callers, you can figure a range of hands for each player. I won't get into comforting / confidence tells at this point, because it appears you do not understand this part of the game yet. You are first to act. If you check, you lose. So fire again. 3/4 pot up to pot + half. And so on. So, you keep firing in hopes you will win by the turn, or you get lucky, or you can bluff the river. Most novice players don't have the stomach to fire on all streets with little to nothing in their hands.
My point being, do not complicate the game. There are plenty of games you can beat by paying attention and playing solid and tight in some cases. Once you get the required experience and understand the complicated plays, it will be like second nature. There are alot of great books on the math and tells of the game. I suggest you google and find them.
Respectfully
Wait, it's a long term advantage?
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
  • Threads: 24
February 18th, 2014 at 4:15:22 PM permalink
You could do a big raise and make everyone fold too. Odds are they have trash.
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
February 18th, 2014 at 4:20:49 PM permalink
I think it's hilarious there is even a debate about calling in the SB with 54s with 4 limpers. It's about as obvious a call as you get.
tilt247
tilt247
February 19th, 2014 at 7:43:04 AM permalink
Quote: sodawater

I think it's hilarious there is even a debate about calling in the SB with 54s with 4 limpers. It's about as obvious a call as you get.

Just calling with these cards in this position is about as weak of a play you could make. If you play like this you must throw alot of money away.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 19th, 2014 at 10:15:56 AM permalink
Quote: tilt247

Just calling with these cards in this position is about as weak of a play you could make. If you play like this you must throw alot of money away.

Calling or raising big is the play. Folding is never correct. You either want everyone in for cheap or nobody in and you take it down. Anything else is WRONG!
10 eyes for an eye. 10 teeth for a tooth. 10 bucks for a buck?! Hit the bad guys where it hurts the most: the face and the wallet.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
February 19th, 2014 at 4:03:44 PM permalink
Call! Man I thought I was a nit....
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 19th, 2014 at 6:55:22 PM permalink

Small suited connectors play best getting in cheap in multi way pots (with position preferably). Making a big raise to drive everybody out with a hand you can call for half a bet and that plays very well in this spot and can win a lot of money with the right flop is foolish. Any of the early limpers can be slowplaying a big pair begging for somebody in late position to raise so they can reraise. The big blind remains to act as well. Anybody advising anything other than a call is either 80+ years old living on social security or never played much poker beyond freerolls.

Calling is best. Raising big is far back but second best nonetheless. The worst is raising small and being out of position in a juiced pot. Good chance everyone called your small raise too.
tilt247
tilt247
February 20th, 2014 at 11:31:46 AM permalink
No, I'm mid 30's. You bring up a good point about getting trapped, but you will lose more money on a trap if you don't hit a draw or have two pair vs. set (when limping out of position). Limping in when in position with these cards is better than doing so out of position. The best decision is to fold these hands, table talent pending.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 20th, 2014 at 6:07:38 PM permalink
The only reason I can see folding is if there are no callers...and even there you can probably chop with the BB. Two more reasons to call are bad beat possibilities with 45s and you don't want the rep of being a nit unless you plan to do some bluffing.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
February 20th, 2014 at 6:23:26 PM permalink
Quote: Lemieux66

The only reason I can see folding is if there are no callers...and even there you can probably chop with the BB. Two more reasons to call are bad beat possibilities with 45s and you don't want the rep of being a nit unless you plan to do some bluffing.

Suited connectors, and only the big blind in at this point? Why would fold be an option, rather than a 3x BB raise to push the BB out of the hand? If the BB calls, and you miss the flop, it is an easy check and fold, or you could continue the charade, although probably not worth it, other than table image.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 20th, 2014 at 6:34:52 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

Suited connectors, and only the big blind in at this point? Why would fold be an option, rather than a 3x BB raise to push the BB out of the hand? If the BB calls, and you miss the flop, it is an easy check and fold, or you could continue the charade, although probably not worth it, other than table image.

First off, this usually doesn't happen in live cash games. There will be chop discussions. Secondly, it's not worth raising to be out of position to win the bb in a cash game. It's not worth it.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
February 20th, 2014 at 6:48:52 PM permalink
First off my opinion about the game used in the hypothesis by the OP. "1-coin small blind and 2-coins big blind"......imo he could only be talking about either a $1/$2 or $5/$10 NL game, nothing else. Limit games are (usually) $2/$4 or $4/$8 games......you can't place down those bets with 1 or 2 coins.

Secondly I think the advice you guys have been giving him is great but unfortunately he doesn't understand any of it because he is new to the game.

Here is what my reply would be......

I would definitely call in the position that you described, not because of it being a +EV play but because, if you have suited cards or connectors or suited connectors you want to be in a pot with the maximum amount of people. This gives you the best opportunity to improve your hand. Also, as you have mentioned you have alreayd antied up "1-coin", why not see a flop?

If you had a pocket pair you would definitely want to see 2, 3 or 4 callers in front of you so that you can re raise the pot with approx. 4 times the pot value in order to push out any callers that was limping (meaning betting the minimum to see the flop and get lucky). You are not in good position post flop but you want to play against as few players as possible.

Hope I explained it so that you can udnerstand?

Enjoy the game bud!
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 20th, 2014 at 7:03:02 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

First off my opinion about the game used in the hypothesis by the OP. "1-coin small blind and 2-coins big blind"......imo he could only be talking about either a $1/$2 or $5/$10 NL game, nothing else. Limit games are (usually) $2/$4 or $4/$8 games......you can't place down those bets with 1 or 2 coins.

Secondly I think the advice you guys have been giving him is great but unfortunately he doesn't understand any of it because he is new to the game.

Here is what my reply would be......

I would definitely call in the position that you described, not because of it being a +EV play but because, if you have suited cards or connectors or suited connectors you want to be in a pot with the maximum amount of people. This gives you the best opportunity to improve your hand. Also, as you have mentioned you have alreayd antied up "1-coin", why not see a flop?

If you had a pocket pair you would definitely want to see 2, 3 or 4 callers in front of you so that you can re raise the pot with approx. 4 times the pot value in order to push out any callers that was limping (meaning betting the minimum to see the flop and get lucky). You are not in good position post flop but you want to play against as few players as possible.

Hope I explained it so that you can udnerstand?

Enjoy the game bud!

Good advice, but I will add you want to call with the small PP and raise with your big PP. Sounds lewd lol
Tomspur
Tomspur
February 20th, 2014 at 9:42:18 PM permalink
Quote: paisiello

Because it is a -ve expected value and in the long run it will cost you money. I assume by the same logic that you would also recommend to call from the BB a minimum raise?

What you can do is every time you have a marginal hand to call with in the SB or BB, just make a note of it. At the end of the session add up all the times and see how much money you have spent. You'll find that it is quite a lot of money and very unlikely will have won any big hands with it.

Best advice which I think most poker pros will tell you is only play this type of hand in late position and raise it pre-flop to represent a big hand. This should be a rare move and only then if you have a good table image.

A min raise would cost you "2-coins" and not the "1-coin" it would cost you to flat call the ante.
Also, this guy has 4 callers behind him with a decent starting hand for this situation, unless everyone was dealt pocket pairs and for some reason just decided to limp.......

I think you are over thinking this particular situation. If you fold in this instance, I think you are either the biggest nit on the planet or you don't quite udnerstand NL hold em.

Just my opinion of course, you may be johhny Chan for all I know :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Tomspur
Tomspur
February 20th, 2014 at 9:50:32 PM permalink

I'm just interested in maximizing my profit. You are more interested in gambling in which case you should stick to a game like roulette.

Yes because you can absolutely equate NL hold em to Roulette.....thanks for that astonishing admonition.
Tomspur
Tomspur
February 20th, 2014 at 10:01:26 PM permalink

Well you are apparently suggesting it since your poor recommendation is to always call the SB with weak hands.

how is a suited connector in that spot a weak hand?
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
February 20th, 2014 at 11:44:34 PM permalink
If you're playing against fish you want to open your range, and if you can discipline yourself into a call/fold when you don't hit the flop it might be worth it. Being OOP sucks though.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Tomspur
Tomspur
February 21st, 2014 at 12:06:25 AM permalink

I believe it was stated originally that it had a -ve EV. I can only suggest that you keep track every time you play it and add up your losses from this play at the end of your sessions.

When I'm able to play again I will do so but as DJ mentioned it is very seriously going to depend on the players at your table. tight-aggressive, loose-aggressive, tight-tight and so on and so forth....

I respect your opinion, thanks for the discussion!
djatc
djatc
February 21st, 2014 at 12:10:16 AM permalink
suited connectors can flop 2 pair, pair+straight draw, pair+flush draw, or trips or better and if you feel a fish will get their money in with TPTK then the implied odds would be worth the extra blind to check preflop. To be honest most donks on 1/2NL will get it in if they hit their ace/king/face card. Figure out the equity in whatever you have that is better than top pair and get it in if you are ahead.

Unless you get drawn out..... which happens to me a lot.
Tomspur
Tomspur
February 21st, 2014 at 12:34:03 AM permalink
Quote: djatc

suited connectors can flop 2 pair, pair+straight draw, pair+flush draw, or trips or better and if you feel a fish will get their money in with TPTK then the implied odds would be worth the extra blind to check preflop. To be honest most donks on 1/2NL will get it in if they hit their ace/king/face card. Figure out the equity in whatever you have that is better than top pair and get it in if you are ahead.

Unless you get drawn out..... which happens to me a lot.

Bet bigger :)
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 21st, 2014 at 4:48:41 AM permalink
Folding in this spot is wrong. There is no debate. Maybe if it was 45 off suit you can save a coin. But 45 suited in this spot is a GIFT that I'm thankful to receive:
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 21st, 2014 at 8:00:56 AM permalink

Folding in this spot is right. You're assuming that when you hit a 20:1 long shot that everyone will voluntarily go along with your brilliant plan and pay you off. Just doesn't happen in real life most of the time. You're opponents are just as equally likely to get a big hand and you are easy to get counterfeited.

More importantly, you generally want to build up an image as a nit so that when you do have an opportunity to bluff or semi-bluff you can take down more hands without having any callers. If your opponents see you folding a lot and only playing premium hands this helps build up a good image to set them up with later.

There's a balance. You can make SOME money if you hit your hand here. Not stack someone all the time but you can get some calls.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 21st, 2014 at 8:04:24 AM permalink
Here's a question: for those who are folding in this spot, what kinds of hands are you calling with here?
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 21st, 2014 at 8:15:11 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 21st, 2014 at 8:19:50 AM permalink

Not enough to justify the call every time. Like I said, just keep a personal log of how many hands you played this way and figure out how much it cost you at the end of your sessions.

You will lose a dollar a lot of the time. But you will also win your share of pots. The real reason to call is there are all those limpers. More money in the pot, more people who can make mistakes, etc
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 21st, 2014 at 8:58:48 AM permalink

And more people who can beat you, too. In the long run your wins will not offset the costs.

What exactly can you flop here that you can't get away from that isn't considered a good hand? Two pair is good. Low straight is good. You have to be cautious hitting trips because of bad kicker but you can get away if you're smart.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 21st, 2014 at 9:31:02 AM permalink

I already outlined scenarios previously here:
Calling SB in NL

The main reason not to play this hand is that you are out of position and easily exploitable.

This logic overlooks exactly whom you'll be facing. Old man nit? You can fold bottom two. Hot shot young guy raising and bluffing a lot? You can call. You need reads on people in poker not just math. Examine the situation.
djatc
djatc
February 21st, 2014 at 9:34:33 AM permalink
Of course calling from the small blind is -EV, since you are forced to put in 1 unit call or fold. It's all dependent on the table and how aggressive people are. If people limp/call into a pot you could lead out on the flop and hope to take it down, or hit something and try to get the guy who can't throw away a pair to shove.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 21st, 2014 at 9:41:23 AM permalink
The fact that this one question inspired this much debate shows poker is incredibly interesting and complex.
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
February 21st, 2014 at 10:09:58 AM permalink
We can agree there.
tilt247
tilt247
February 22nd, 2014 at 9:41:02 AM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

how is a suited connector in that spot a weak hand?

Because you are gambling at this point with 2 weak cards and most likely are looking at a trap. You limp in, you show weakness. Now if you don't get lucky, you have to pretend to have a big hand or get out of the way. if you choose to just give up, you look weak and have given away some important information. Poker is war, not about making friends. Poker is also about making money. Limping in is the weakest play. Are you going to limp in with suited connectors in this spot every time? I hope not. Are you going to try and take it with suited connectors and missing in this spot every time, I hope not. You have to mix your play up. By the sounds of it, there appears to be alot of really tight players posting. Tight / aggressive play works, but you have to adjust to the table and try to keep everyone guessing. No offense intended, but I have learned this lesson amongst many others in my poker playing journey. And by no means am I saying I'm a pro.
tilt247
tilt247
February 22nd, 2014 at 9:42:52 AM permalink

I'm almost never calling in this spot. I will either raise or fold.

That being said, sometimes (but not too often) I will call with some hands to try and catch those people who like to limp in with hands like suited connectors. For example, sometimes I will call with any pocket pair, suited ace, or two cards that will give me broadway draws. I might even slow play a big premium hand to catch loose players with (but rarely do this).

And at the end of the day, very rarely, I might actually play suited connectors or some other similar garbage. I think the golden rule in poker is not to be predictable. Get your opponents to make bad plays because they think you are strong when you are weak and you are weak when you are strong.

EXACTLY!!
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
February 22nd, 2014 at 11:28:52 AM permalink
Quote: tilt247

Because you are gambling at this point with 2 weak cards and most likely are looking at a trap. You limp in, you show weakness. Now if you don't get lucky, you have to pretend to have a big hand or get out of the way. if you choose to just give up, you look weak and have given away some important information.

What information are you giving up if you limp in (after 3 or 4 other limpers) and then check-fold the flop? That you don't try to bluff every single hand? Hopefully your opponents already know that.

IMO you are giving up a lot more information if you raise in this spot.
paisiello
paisiello
February 22nd, 2014 at 11:55:03 AM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

What information are you giving up if you limp in (after 3 or 4 other limpers) and then check-fold the flop?

That you like to limp in with garbage hands maybe?

Quote: AxiomOfChoice

IMO you are giving up a lot more information if you raise in this spot.

Not necessarily but more important you are getting more information if anybody calls you or three bets it.
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 22nd, 2014 at 11:57:02 AM permalink
I can see the logic in raising here in a tournament. Especially if you needed those chips and expected everyone to fold. But calling is the right play here in a cash game. Especially if you're deep. ESPECIALLY!
Lemieux66
Lemieux66
February 22nd, 2014 at 11:59:06 AM permalink
A trap huh? Can't fold your bottom pair no kicker huh? If someone is limping aces here, they aren't trapping you they are trapping themselves.
paisiello
paisiello
February 22nd, 2014 at 12:06:49 PM permalink

A trap huh? Can't fold your bottom pair no kicker huh? If someone is limping aces here, they aren't trapping you they are trapping themselves.

I'll try and remember that when I take all your chips...
paisiello
paisiello
February 22nd, 2014 at 12:08:36 PM permalink

But calling is the right play here in a cash game. Especially if you're deep. ESPECIALLY!

Calling is the wrong play. It is a long time money loser.
  • Jump to: