DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
November 1st, 2012 at 3:28:27 PM permalink
I seem to usually just give up my blinds, when raised-especially the SB.

I try to find any reason to play the hand I am dealt but when I cannot , I just fold.

How can I improve my play from the binds ?
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
November 1st, 2012 at 3:42:22 PM permalink
Quote: DonPedro

I try to find any reason to play the hand I am dealt but when I cannot , I just fold.

How can I improve my play from the binds ?

In fixed limit? You're doing about all you can. The trick is to find a starting hand that you're willing to see the flop with but that you won't chase too far if it doesn't materialize. I suppose you could probably blend this and the bluffing strategy somehow.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
November 11th, 2012 at 1:05:55 PM permalink
Yeah, if you're raised, and it's a hand you wouldn't normally play, don't play. You'll be in a lousy position in all subsequent rounds, and while it will cost you less to call a raise than to make your own, basically you should only call if you'd be willing to limp with your hand under the gun, having somehow gleaned the information you have from the initial betting round. The money in the pot is gone; don't chase it.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
November 11th, 2012 at 2:32:46 PM permalink
some stuff i wrote a few years back that might prove insightful.

this on defending your bb against a raise from someone who has position on you:

"the key to getting the most value from your hands when you defend from the bb against a lone opponent is to get aggressive prior to the street your opponent typically gets passive on. your primary goal is to extract the most you can from their barreling range before you spring in a raise. once you figure out your opponents tendencies with most of his range on whether he usually triplebarrels, doublebarrels and checks back the river, cbets the flop and checks back the turn, or checks back the flop, you then act accordingly whether its 3betting preflop or checkraising postflop."

this is on defending your bb against a raise from the sb:

"the first question i seek an answer for is: is he capable of triplebarreling?

once i find this answer and it turns out to be yes, ill start waiting for the river to raise for value, that way i get the full amount from his barreling range and when he actually does have a showdownable hand, i can squeeze an extra bet from him on the river. if i find out he starts folding to my river raises, ill start throwing in some bluffraises on the river with my missed draws that have little or no showdown value.

if he stops triplebarreling versus me or never triplebarreled to begin with, then ill start throwing my value raises in on the turn. if he typically folds to my value raises on the turn, ill start raising with my draws or air that i floated his flop bet with. if he'll typically b/c the turn but then c/f the river when i raise for value, then ill start raising my draws on the turn, and barreling the river if i miss but i wont raise with air in this spot though since it takes 3bets and i dont think its worth the risk when the pot is so tiny. with a draw, at least i retain some equity in the pot.

if he typically fires the flop but gives up on the turn when he has nothing, then ill usually raise the flop for value when i have a strong hand and peel with all the others planning to bet the turn if checked to.

and if hes someone who will only fire the flop after raising preflop if he has anything, then ill be more liberal with my preflop 3betting from the bb. if he doesnt raise much pf from the sb but is apt to c/f a lot of flops when he misses, then ill be more liberal in raising from the bb when he just completes from the sb."
  • Jump to: