terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 80
November 19th, 2020 at 1:47:01 PM permalink
I just finished the Queens Gambit, great netflix series.
I've been playing a lot of chess on my switch now
I'm a pawn to King 4 opening person my whole life
Been playing a lot on my switch using Queens gambit opening and really loving my position.
The series is fascinating as it uses real historical games picked by Gary Kasporov. I've watched analysis of those games on youtube.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
November 19th, 2020 at 3:33:31 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I've been playing a lot of chess on my switch now
I'm a pawn to King 4 opening person my whole life

"Pawn to King 4"? Are you using a Switch, or flipping switches on an Altair 8800?
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 51
November 19th, 2020 at 4:08:28 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

"Pawn to King 4"? Are you using a Switch, or flipping switches on an Altair 8800?

Holy Cow! Early 1970s, if I recall, Howdy, Ol'Timer!

Young folk will never understand what it was like to be front-and-center at the computer techology revolution.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1344
November 19th, 2020 at 5:05:56 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I just finished the Queens Gambit, great netflix series.

I agree 100%. Just outstanding. I loved every second of it. It is on my list of near-perfect television like Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

In your other post, T, you mentioned they used real games, chosen by Kasparov, for the show. I'd be interested to study the games more carefully.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 95
November 19th, 2020 at 6:22:13 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Holy Cow! Early 1970s, if I recall, Howdy, Ol'Timer!

Young folk will never understand what it was like to be front-and-center at the computer techology revolution.

Not quite "early" 1970s; I read about it in Popular Electronics when I was in middle school, so around 1975. The first computer I programmed was a big iron IBM 1130; the first one I owned was an Atari 800 (with a whopping 48 KB of RAM) in the early 1980s.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 38
November 19th, 2020 at 7:07:47 PM permalink
No doubt the show will take home a basket full of Emmys.

I was kind of impressed by the VFX. Did you see how they recreated the Las Vegas Strip of the mid 1960s? Few viewers will appreciate how much work must have gone into what was essentially some minor ambiance backdrop.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 16
November 19th, 2020 at 7:24:10 PM permalink
For those of you who enjoyed the series, I highly recommend you read the novel by Walter Tevis. It's even better than the series. And yes, the series was EXCELLENT! For the most part, it was very, very true to the novel, something I was very happy to see.

I've probably read The Queen's Gambit a half dozen times... or more. I often read it just before a large tournament. It would help to put me into that "competitive chess mood." (I've entered about 80+ chess tournaments over the past 25 years.) The novel came out back in 1983 and I'm probably one of the few who read it way back then. It's one of my favorite novels of all time. So to see a miniseries made from the novel, and to see the miniseries doing so well and being so well received, is a dream come true for me.

I've recommended reading the novel to many of my chess buddies over the years, and everyone who did take me up on my recommendation also enjoyed it very much. Of course, the subject matter was an interest to us, and that helped.

The novel goes into much more depth regarding Beth and her addition, the thoughts going through her head, etc.

If you're not familiar with Tevis, three of his six novels were made into movies. (The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 13
November 19th, 2020 at 7:38:37 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I agree 100%. Just outstanding. I loved every second of it. It is on my list of near-perfect television like Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

I definitely agree with this sentiment. It was truly great. I will, however, forever argue against anyone that it should be considered a movie and not a TV show.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
November 19th, 2020 at 8:18:57 PM permalink
Late in the series, the some of the chess boards had numbers and letters on the edges, as the players were shifting from descriptive to algebraic notation.

"Pawn to King 4" becomes "e4"
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 48
November 19th, 2020 at 8:36:02 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

The novel goes into much more depth regarding Beth and her addition, the thoughts going through her head, etc.

Addiction being Bethís biggest adversity was one of my favorite parts of the story.

I kept waiting for some kind abuse since thatís the direction 99% of orphan stories go, and was pleasantly surprised when it never happened.

The circumstances leading to her orphanage were pretty dark, and her adoptive father was a jerk (but not abusive). However the rest of her relationships were amazingly wholesome. Hopefully that is true in the book as well.

• Jump to: