Thread Rating:

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 188
November 4th, 2021 at 3:59:04 AM permalink
_________

Bob Baffert is again standing tall at the Breeders Cup
running 8 horses
more scrutiny of him but basically his CA chums are again letting him skate yet again

this is a total disgrace to the sport and will give ammo to those who hate racing

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211103-controversial-trainer-baffert-seeks-breeders-cup-classic-win

"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 5th, 2021 at 1:42:02 AM permalink
________

this is the Timeform breakdown of tomorrow's Breeders Cup Classic - the featured event of the weekend
last year more than $35 million was bet on this race alone
it's a long race with 4 frontruners - Knicks Go, Medina Spirit, Hot Rod Charlie, and Art Collector
they may very well knock themselves out dueling for the lead leaving an ideal trip for a plodding longshot to pick up the pieces

charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 34
November 5th, 2021 at 2:15:12 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

...tomorrow's Breeders Cup Classic - the featured event of the weekend
last year more than $35 million was bet on this race alone...an ideal trip for a plodding longshot to pick up the pieces...link to original post

5/2 and 3/1 seem good prices, however the odds for the rest are currently slightly bigger on UK bookies (possibly these are ante-post, if so you would lose if they were non runners)
https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/2021-11-07-del-mar/00:40/winner
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
November 5th, 2021 at 9:15:38 AM permalink
I just noticed that the 3-year-olds get a 4-pound weight allowance. How long has that been happening?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 5th, 2021 at 9:54:28 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I just noticed that the 3-year-olds get a 4-pound weight allowance. How long has that been happening?
link to original post

a very, very long time

other reasons to get a weight allowance -

a female running against males

the jock is an apprentice

to even out the competition typically when some horses have recently won a race and others haven't won a race in a few months
or some horses have won a higher caliber race and others haven't

this is an example of this from a Stakes race:

"Weight 122 Lbs. Non-winners of a race other than maiden, claiming, starter or state-bred allowance allowed 2 Lbs.; maidens allowed 4 Lbs."

a "maiden" is a horse that has never won

the weight thing is decided by the Racing Secretary and is spelled out in the conditions of the race which appears on the official program and in the official charts

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Nov 5, 2021
mwalz9
mwalz9 
  • Threads: 44
November 5th, 2021 at 10:14:59 AM permalink
I have a $10 free bet that must be used on that race. I dont follow it closely enough to make an educated decision.

Who ya got?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 106
November 5th, 2021 at 11:11:45 AM permalink
I understand what allowances are (and what a handicap race is).

What I don't know is, how long has the Breeders Cup Classic been doing this? I thought all non-filly/mare horses had the same weight, like it is in the Kentucky Derby.

I found links to the Equibase charts going back to 1991, and even back then, 3-year-olds got 122 (and fillies/mares get a 3-pound allowance) - except that southern hemisphere 3-year-olds get 117 for some reason.

Horse racing question of the day: what states besides Kentucky ban betting entries (e.g. 1 & 1A), whether outright or on particular races? The last time I looked, Kentucky didn't allow them for any races with a purse of $1 million or higher, but I am having a little trouble determining if California has a similar rule.
Last edited by: ThatDonGuy on Nov 5, 2021
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 34
November 5th, 2021 at 12:24:14 PM permalink
Quote: mwalz9

I have a $10 free bet ...Who ya got?
link to original post

I put my £2 each way based on the name being Charlie (only got 9/2 rather than 5/1).
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 5th, 2021 at 1:07:05 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

What I don't know is, how long has the Breeders Cup Classic been doing this? I thought all non-filly/mare horses had the same weight, like it is in the Kentucky Derby.

I found links to the Equibase charts going back to 1991, and even back then, 3-year-olds got 122 (and fillies/mares get a 3-pound allowance) - except that southern hemisphere 3-year-olds get 117 for some reason.

Horse racing question of the day: what states besides Kentucky ban betting entries (e.g. 1 & 1A), whether outright or on particular races? The last time I looked, Kentucky didn't allow them for any races with a purse of $1 million or higher, but I am having a little trouble determining if California has a similar rule.
link to original post

the Breeders Cup only goes back to 1984 - you found charts going back to 1991 - as far as I know they always have done this

the KY Derby is of course completely different because only 3 year olds are allowed to compete

I don't know the answer to your question about coupled entries

but I do know the reason some States banned them

the racing authorities believed, and they were surely correct - that some Trainers did not have good intentions with the coupled entries

specifically, some would use one horse as a "rabbit" knowing he couldn't win - but he would go as fast as he could early and duel with the other speed horses and often wear them down_________that made the job of the legitimate competitor - a tracker or a closer - easier

Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
November 5th, 2021 at 3:14:10 PM permalink
Somewhere I have the Daily Racing Form from the initial BC in 1984. If I can find I will see what the conditions were for the first Classic

• Jump to: