Thread Rating:

bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 98
May 29th, 2019 at 6:29:57 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

nice story

I remember after Cigar's last race Bill Mott took him to a racetrack just to say goodbye and let him gallop around the track and people had tears in their eyes

Friend and I went to Del Mar the day Cigar was trying to break Citation's win streak. We couldn't move, there were so many people. Could not get close to the paddock or walking ring, so we hopped on the roof. It was the only place we could see anything. Security didn't even say anything.

Of course, we all know they did 6f in 1:09 and change, cost Cigar the race. And I had bought a bunch of $2 tickets. It was a fun day regardless. I don't know how many Tecates and fish tacos I did.
Don't believe anything until it is officially denied.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 148
Thanks for this post from:
bobbartop
September 12th, 2019 at 3:16:17 AM permalink
Justify failed a drug test before winning the Kentucky Derby and should have been DQed
he tested positive for scopolamine - an illegal performance enhancing drug

I've always suspected Baffert - his win and in the money %s have been so very high

another body blow for Santa Anita and California racing - that is where the test was performed - looks like they covered it up probably to protect Baffert who is revered in CA

this is going to be a very big deal - I think it's possible they will retroactively take away his Derby win - declare it inauthentic for historical records - but those gamblers who bet against him will still be SOL - they're not going to be compensated

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/sports/horse-racing/justify-drug-test-triple-crown-kentucky-derby.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 12, 2019
it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters........................it's the size of the fight in the dog
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 101
September 12th, 2019 at 6:11:24 AM permalink
4 dead horses at Belmont so far this meet.......

Try and imagine if human athletes died at 10% the rate these horses do.........
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 12th, 2019 at 6:54:52 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

4 dead horses at Belmont so far this meet.......

Try and imagine if human athletes died at 10% the rate these horses do.........

where did you get this %?- there is a problem but what you are stating is not remotely close to being accurate
it's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters........................it's the size of the fight in the dog
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 12th, 2019 at 8:46:13 AM permalink
DrawingDead, a very knowledgeable guy who doesn't post here anymore was right on the money

he accused Baffert of being a druggy more than a couple of years ago
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 101
September 12th, 2019 at 11:11:28 AM permalink

where did you get this %?- there is a problem but what you are stating is not remotely close to being accurate

You are right. I mis-remembered NYPost article from yesterday.

Headline..... Three horses dead in first week at Belmont Park.

two more at saratoga.

one more at Finger Lakes

Since 2009 Belmont averaged over 40 deaths per year. Easily google-able.

I stand by my question.

TRY AND IMAGINE IF HUMAN ATHLETES DIED AT 10% THE RATE THESE HORSES DO!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 12th, 2019 at 12:06:05 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

TRY AND IMAGINE IF HUMAN ATHLETES DIED AT 10% THE RATE THESE HORSES DO!

you can stand by whatever you want but the 10% figure you keeps saying is total BS - if you don't want to admit it okay - I don't care

from a related NYT article from April 2019:

"The Louisville Courier-Journal recently proclaimed Churchill Downs one of the “deadliest racetracks” in America and reported that the track had lost 43 thoroughbreds to racing injuries since 2016, an average of 2.42 per 1,000 starts, "

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/sports/horse-deaths-kentucky-derby.html

from Wikipedia:

statistical interpretation - Churchill 2.42 per 1,000 starts since 2016 - very bad

a claimer - a heavily raced racehorse will average about 20 starts in his career

1,000 starts equals approximately the racing careers of 50 claimers

out of 50 claimers about 2.42 would die or about 4.84 out of 100

except a great many racehorses are not claimers and do not run anywhere near 20 races in their lifetimes
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Sep 12, 2019
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 9
Thanks for this post from:
SOOPOO
September 12th, 2019 at 12:25:39 PM permalink

you can stand by whatever you want but the 10% figure you keeps saying is total BS - if you don't want to admit it okay - I don't care

(Quote truncates)

You are misunderstanding SooPoo. He’s saying “imagine” if for every 10 racehorse deaths there was a human athlete death. If the right stat is 40 horses a year then imagine 4 human athletes a year die. It’s a thought experiment.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
September 12th, 2019 at 12:31:41 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

(Quote truncates)

You are misunderstanding SooPoo. He’s saying “imagine” if for every 10 racehorse deaths there was a human athlete death. If the right stat is 40 horses a year then imagine 4 human athletes a year die. It’s a thought experiment.

yes, I now get it - what he was saying - thanks for the clarification

the underlying thought being how greatly we care about human life

the Rohingya people were mercilessly slaughtered and driven out Mynamar recently - many observers called it a genocide

who cared around the world? - very few - we care greatly about humans - if they live in our country and look like us - if not - we don't care very much

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_genocide
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 98
September 12th, 2019 at 12:48:59 PM permalink

yes, I now get it - what he was saying - thanks for the clarification

You misunderstood Soopoo like I misunderstood you a few weeks ago when I made a fool out of myself. lol Join the crowd.

Anyway, if I took enough scopolamine, the LAST thing I would feel like doing is running around a track for two minutes. I remember that being some nasty stuff. How could it "enhance" performance, except to prevent the horse from getting car sick?

Before Baffert was a famous big shot, he used to run Quarter Horses at Los Alamitos, a small 5/8th track not far from Long Beach. I used to hang out there religiously when I was younger.

Thanks for posting this, I had not heard about it yet. Not good.
Don't believe anything until it is officially denied.

• Jump to: