Thread Rating:

FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 123
March 6th, 2019 at 6:29:12 PM permalink
But to answer your question, there’s probably around 1500 horses stabled there.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
March 6th, 2019 at 7:13:18 PM permalink
^^Upon further review, probably better to just go with the two succinct FinsRule replies, and leave it there.

Well now if one wants to be "stunned" by the simple number "ten" or twenty-one for that matter without any awareness of it amounting to a mortality rate much lower than what occurs in nature then there's going to be no possible cure for that anywhere under any circumstances no matter what. But if someone wants to be so inclined they won't have to search too hard to find some intensely enthusiastic support that's grabbing misleading hysteria inducing factoids to aid in staying that way and feeling very full of righteous fervor for folks who like that. But hey guess what, there most certainly were a lot more than that many deaths among human athletes occurring last year and the year before and every year, and there will continue to be. People do die, for all kinds of reasons, at all ages, including athletic ones, just as other living things do.

But I guess someone should really have to get beyond horrified at the much larger number of deaths that would occur among a similar large population of wild horses not receiving the same exceptionally high level of constant daily attention and extensive veterinary care, and doing their constant daily natural running on ground that's not nearly so carefully manicured and expensively maintained. I don't have the current stall number which has been changing (growing) since the final end of training & stabling at Hollywood Park, but over the last several years I can recall that I've seen reports of recent expansions designed to add on over 800 more stalls in new barns that were being built in a stabling addition on the north side of the grounds, and another addition of something on the order of 1,400 more IIRC that were to be added nearby in West Covina. I think it is safe to say the total population of horses routinely using the facilities at Santa Anita, including both the large number stabled there and the larger population stabled off-site but routinely on the grounds exceeds the human population of a lot of towns and some counties, towns and counties that would be places where, as you may have noticed, people die, as do other animals. Perhaps that perspective will help; one would hope.

Personally I'd be in favor of getting totally medieval about dealing with anyone harming or knowingly tolerating someone harming these wonderful creatures. But whatever else it would be, willfully "abusing" these animals would as a purely practical matter amount to stacking a lot of your money in a pile and lighting it on fire. There are creeps and malignant idiots at large in the world, even some right here right now, but it would be pretty foolish to assume this is that.

EDIT to add: I think Fin's stall number given above is probably right, for the rock bottom baseline minimum of what has been stabled on the grounds for many years. That's without considering the additions mentioned above that I don't necessarily know have all been completed or not, and those regularly brought to the grounds without stabling there. The last item has increased a lot since stall space was removed at Hollywood Park, creating a regional barn space crunch, so the total population number becomes squishy.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Mar 6, 2019
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
March 6th, 2019 at 7:39:10 PM permalink
By the way & FWIW, treat this as a rumor of an assertion, but I know I've previously read in some of the professional literature on the subject that the all cause mortality rate of racing age (young) thoroughbreds is 0.69%, which I recall was considered the normal baseline among all those known under human care, and therefore generally living healthier safer lives than in nature. But even though I do remember that specific figure I don't have the source to cite or a good enough recollection of which academic institution and publication(s) were involved to know how to direct someone to find it easily, with any methodology, documentation, and context.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Mar 6, 2019
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
March 6th, 2019 at 9:08:00 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Raintree Starlet draws the 7 post in a field of 10 for the Grade III Honeybee Saturday at Oaklawn.

I’d say 8-1 would be a good morning line, maybe 4th choice?

I imagine you've probably seen Oaklawn Park's staff account of an interview with your trainer, which headlines this edition of "barn notes" posted by them a few days ago: RAINTREE STARLET TO MAKE TWO-TURN DEBUT IN SATURDAY’S HONEYBEE STAKES

There's also this short summation published today by Thoroughbred Daily News of the presumed top tier competition expected to go in the Honeybee, but not including your Starlet among their three: Empire Maker Filly the Buzz in Honeybee

I have no clue about an appropriate morning line or an opinion of fair value. And I'll probably choose not to get one of either for this.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster 
  • Threads: 188
March 7th, 2019 at 3:14:10 AM permalink
this is the New York Times Joe Drape's take on the issue at Santa Anita. Drape is a bettor and handicapper and I don't think he has a more than average bias in whatever direction

this article has a great deal more detail than the Post's.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/sports/santa-anita.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 7, 2019
"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
March 7th, 2019 at 4:01:50 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Raintree Starlet draws the 7 post in a field of 10 for the Grade III Honeybee Saturday at Oaklawn.

I’d say 8-1 would be a good morning line, maybe 4th choice?

This is SO exciting. I'm going to try and figure out where I can watch it live. Anybody know who besides OTB places might broadcast it?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 123
March 7th, 2019 at 5:21:05 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

This is SO exciting. I'm going to try and figure out where I can watch it live. Anybody know who besides OTB places might broadcast it?

Fox Sports 2. Thanks for your support!
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
March 7th, 2019 at 5:28:46 PM permalink
Go get em RTStarlet!

For the Honeybee past performances click on Sunset Wish's Ulimate pps link.
http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/briswatch.cgi/public/Darley/GODOLPHIN/9999/summary.html
Click on Sunset Wish's Ulimate pps link.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
March 9th, 2019 at 1:49:35 PM permalink
Go Raintree Honeybee! FS2 is already on the air w/Aquaduct and Tampa Bay Downs, but the Honeybee should be up pretty soon. Perfect track conditions, 70°.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
March 9th, 2019 at 2:17:54 PM permalink
I checked the past performances of other horses Raintree has a good shot if she can handle the distance. Her running style is what I like. Just off the pace a bit. Good luck Fin.

• Jump to: