Thread Rating:

ontariodealer
ontariodealer
  • Threads: 7
March 1st, 2019 at 9:49:29 PM permalink
do you know her Tomlinson number for 8.5.......visually she didn't look like she wanted to go any further.
get second you pig
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 188
March 2nd, 2019 at 5:03:01 AM permalink
Quote: ontariodealer

do you know her Tomlinson number for 8.5.......visually she didn't look like she wanted to go any further.

regardless of that number I think they feel it is necessary to try her on a route because there are so many more opportunities for big purses on routes compared to sprints
"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 123
March 2nd, 2019 at 7:38:39 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

regardless of that number I think they feel it is necessary to try her on a route because there are so many more opportunities for big purses on routes compared to sprints

I think so too. I also think itís hard to tell if a horse wants to go further after watching them sprint. She will be traveling the first 6 furlongs of her next race in around 112-113. Thatís 10-15 lengths slower than her sprint race. That should give her more energy to keep running.

But I agree itís a big question.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 188
March 6th, 2019 at 3:39:29 AM permalink
incredible - Santa Anita has been shut down
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/06/something-is-drastically-wrong-after-horse-die-storied-california-track-shuts-down-racing/?utm_term=.8cb407069dae

"𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳"______Edgar Allan Poe
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 6th, 2019 at 3:54:34 AM permalink
This whole thing is hard to comprehend.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
March 6th, 2019 at 11:42:51 AM permalink
In the couple of weeks since I first started hearing of this possibly bubbling up as an issue at Santa Anita, there hasn't been any obvious commonality among the catastrophic injuries as far as I can tell from the public reports. The incidents that have caused gradually escalating concerns in the community of horsemen and finally led to the current state of extreme alarm with racetrack management have involved stock from the Santa Anita stables of a diverse set of trainers, occurring over a period of about two months. That fact alone certainly doesn't eliminate the possibility of multiple stables at the same track doing something problematic all at once, such as a "supplement" *ahem*cough*cough* becoming a popular "health" potion on the backstretch that caused or contributed to these injuries. But the number of different barns does reduce the probability of something like that being the culprit. Maybe the necropsy reports (horse autopsies) will help provide some clues to define what kind of issue(s) are really involved. But, maybe not, and that will take some time.

Speculating on the recent wet weather this winter in California having some unique effect on the Santa Anita main track surface, and acting accordingly, seems to be simply the best default position available when nobody really knows what might be going on, if anything is. In the same relatively wet (for SoCal) climate conditions the Friday through Sunday night mixed quarterhorse & thoroughbred racing that's been held continuously at Los Alamitos down in Cypress throughout this same period has NOT been having similar issues. But no two running surfaces are completely identical, including even the SA training track & their main track located on the very same grounds in Arcadia.

The most difficult thing may be if there really is no particular common contributing problem or few identifiable related issues to fix. And whatever it is, the safest bet in the San Gabriel Valley is that the rabid mindless PETA numbskulls who've heard "something or other" and have now started pimping this with photo-op stunts at Santa Anita will, if anything, only "help" by making it worse, not better. Then in coming months look for a breathless & extremely sloppy ill-informed three part feature series implying mass slaughter & vicious torture trumpeted under profoundly ignorant purple screaming headlines in the NY Times. They've done it before, and seemed to really like the rabble they roused in their audience.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Mar 6, 2019
"I'm against stuff like crack and math" --AxelWolf
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 6th, 2019 at 12:24:56 PM permalink
Raintree Starlet draws the 7 post in a field of 10 for the Grade III Honeybee Saturday at Oaklawn.

Iíd say 8-1 would be a good morning line, maybe 4th choice?
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
March 6th, 2019 at 2:07:30 PM permalink
So $5 across, ok?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 112
March 6th, 2019 at 5:40:33 PM permalink
I am stunned, not that there are 20 horse deaths this year, but that in the past few years they averaged around 10 deaths!!!! At ONE track!! These are prime athletes, obviously being abused in some fashion that there are that many deaths among them. Imagine if there were 10 deaths NATIONWIDE amongst elite human runners!!!

If 20 is the numerator for dead horses at Santa Anita, what is the denominator? (all horses that ran at the track)
FinsRule
FinsRule
March 6th, 2019 at 6:28:30 PM permalink
Their bodies have been bred for speed not durability. They are extremely fragile animals.

They honestly arenít being abused. At least not in the sense youíre referring to.

• Jump to: