Thread Rating:

heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
April 6th, 2021 at 10:31:23 PM permalink
this is most likely a question that will go unanswered but - lets use pokerstars as an example

is the money that ive won in my account "mine"?

there is more parts to this but i need a basic yes or no or an explanation as to why it "technically" is or is not
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
April 6th, 2021 at 11:44:57 PM permalink
Money : something generally accepted as a medium of exchange, a measure of value. - Merriam Webster

The business presents a digital artifact with a claimed value, subject to terms and conditions. It is not your money until the business issues you currency a grocer will accept in exchange for food. The claimed value is dependent on the trustworthiness of the business.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
April 7th, 2021 at 4:17:51 AM permalink
Quote: heatmap

this is most likely a question that will go unanswered but - lets use pokerstars as an example

there is more parts to this but i need a basic yes or no or an explanation as to why it "technically" is or is not

No. You have a claim against pokerstars for payment of that amount of money. You don’t have a property right in that money. It’s pokerstars money.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 7th, 2021 at 5:27:38 AM permalink

Two good answers above mine. If the purpose of this question relates to your overall net worth in a divorce proceeding, damn tooting she will say it is your money.... until half is her money....
heatmap
heatmap
April 7th, 2021 at 6:40:17 AM permalink
actually these are the exact answers i expected because i assumed it wasnt mine

now

my next question

say i leave that money in my account and never withdraw it

will pokerstars in this example still have a win/loss statement at the end of the year? if its not exactly mine i never removed it - how is it a win if its technically not mine - and heres where this is going - do i have to pay taxes on it?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
heatmap
April 7th, 2021 at 7:24:03 AM permalink

actually these are the exact answers i expected because i assumed it wasnt mine

now

my next question

say i leave that money in my account and never withdraw it

will pokerstars in this example still have a win/loss statement at the end of the year? if its not exactly mine i never removed it - how is it a win if its technically not mine - and heres where this is going - do i have to pay taxes on it?

I would argue that it is a unrealized gain until you collect it so it should not be taxable. Of course, If you sell a stock and don't withdraw the money you do still owe taxes on it.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
heatmap
heatmap
April 7th, 2021 at 8:03:13 AM permalink
im going to leave it at this ty for the responses
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 7th, 2021 at 8:04:19 AM permalink
I've asked a similar question.
If I win $5,000 in November playing BJ, but don't cash in the chips until my next trip n March, which year do I report the winning?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
heatmap
heatmap
April 7th, 2021 at 8:11:27 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I've asked a similar question.
If I win $5,000 in November playing BJ, but don't cash in the chips until my next trip n March, which year do I report the winning?

seems like a state of limbo
  • Jump to: