21 votes (58.33%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (8.33%)

36 members have voted

Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
  • Threads: 7
May 12th, 2011 at 9:18:11 AM permalink
This is a multi faceted question. I am first curious what everyone here plays when they decide to try their hand at some craps.
However also, I would like to know about those players who alternate between pass and don't pass or come and don't come, how and when they decide what way to play?
I recently began trying out the Don't pass, don't come side of craps and thoroughly enjoy playing it as I do Pass and Come, however I don't want to keep second guessing myself if I should switch in the middle of a session, or just go to the table to play one way, and once that session is over (either win goal or bust out) wait til the next session to switch to the other side. Any insight on what you guys do would be cool and interesting, thank you.
"In the poker game of life, women are the rake" Edward Norton (Rounders)
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
May 12th, 2011 at 9:57:28 AM permalink
If I notice a table is cold (which it is 90% of the time) I'll just bet a "No-4" for $60. This will win me $30 (plus the $1 vig collected when I win). It's a great way to keep my average high and still do OK while waiting for the table to heat back up.
My best record so far is 8 wins in a row (only like two of those were front-line winner 7's). I also probably could have made more, but I ran out of time and took the bet down after 8 straight wins (I was +$240; total $300 with bringing my bet down)
The rest of the time I just put $5 on the PL and 3/4/5x odds, and place the 6/8 for $12 each (or $24 on one)
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 169
May 12th, 2011 at 10:11:34 AM permalink
I tend to only play place bets unless I'm shooting. Then it's just one PL bet, 2x odds. No Comes.

Early in my craps career, I did shoot from the dark side once. But that was when I still had no real clue what I was doing. The stick announced it loud enough that everyone knew I was doing that. In fact, I had to ask if that was OK.

Because of everything I've been reading here, I might start to play the don'ts on my next trip.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
May 12th, 2011 at 10:34:58 AM permalink
I used to think of the donts as taboo just cause of the vibes sent out at the table when someone was playing them. But I too acquired an interest to play them from reading so much about it at this site. Now I really enjoy it, still can't muster up enough courage to shoot from them though
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 212
May 12th, 2011 at 11:18:00 AM permalink
I only play don't when I am on an empty table, or there are only darkside players (rare). My thinking on shooting alone is that if you win, you get to keep shooting, which is the thing I enjoy the most.

On a table with others, it is more fun to all pull the same direction (the thing I enjoy second most), so I'll switch if a group bellies up to the rail.

I used to switch if multiple shooters in a row were cold, but sure enough, as soon as I did, the dice would heat up. When I switched back, I would always be on the wrong side of the chop. yeesh...
Voice of the Announcer: Meanwhile, at an abandoned gold mine, a sinister figure lurks. Snidley Whiplash: I love to lurk. It's so me
Knuckleball3
Knuckleball3
May 12th, 2011 at 12:58:32 PM permalink
I feel you on the playing with the rest of the table aspect, cause it does get really entertaining when the hooting and hollering begins.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
May 12th, 2011 at 1:49:02 PM permalink
Quote: Knuckleball3

still can't muster up enough courage to shoot from them though

Actually, there is a long and widely held belief that don't bettors who shoot tend to make lots of points and intermediate numbers. No empirical evidence, but I've witnessed that more than enough times and perpetrated such enough times to become convinced.
wrongway
wrongway
  • Threads: 8
May 13th, 2011 at 6:30:55 PM permalink
I used to play only the DP and it is great when the table goes real cold but then you miss out on a hot shooter. Now I just follow the table and switch back to the PL after a shooter makes a point and run a little progression from there. To add some fun I bet any craps on the come-out when I'm switched to the pass line and then parlay if I win. I also hop seven and an eleven if there is a come-out 7 or 11 on the come-out and I'm on the DP also with the parlay. Usually once per session one of my parlays hits once or twice and that is fun. BTW I rolled 4 11's in a row about a month ago and that was sweet. My wife plays similar but also likes to add some 6 and 8's and sisters.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 250
May 13th, 2011 at 7:19:50 PM permalink
Charting a craps table makes about as much sense as charting a baccarat table.
However, many players form a conclusion based on cheerfulness, number of place bets, etc. and if they determine the table is "hot" they go to the Right Side. If everyone is glum, the chips in the rail seem few, etc. then some players will decide to become Wrong Bettors.

I have no hesitation to shoot from the Dark Side. The stickman will often intone "From the Don't, hoping they won't".

Being a contrarian at an otherwise happy table? Heck its my money and your mood, which do you think I care about the most?
BearCraps
BearCraps
  • Threads: 3
May 13th, 2011 at 8:40:57 PM permalink
Knuckle, if you're enjoying it, then roll with it. (No pun intended)

Personally, I normally stay with the Pass Line and Come Bets. If the table is warm, hot, or on fire, I'm moving up a progression in my odds on the PL and come. If the table is cold, I'll take a hike. My rule of thumb is 3 losses in a row or three out of four losses and I'm colored in and out for some time.

If I'm throwing the dice and I see people betting the don't pass, well I'm grinning if make the point and they lose (don't we all?) Plus as others stated before, it's a good feeling whenever a point hits and everybody ont he pass line is getting the houses money.

Only went to the dark side on don't pass once and lost. (Figures right?) Might try it again sometime to go dark or don't come if the mood strikes me. The house edge is pretty small comparing between the pass and don't pass come/don't come. Though the lay on 4 or 10 is too much house edge to justify it to me.

As for the dealers, several have privately told me that don't bets usually aren't good tippers. Hence why they will sometimes make light of them. Not to say there aren't good don't tippers out there, I just haven't seen many either.

Again, it's your money, enjoy playing it as you please.

• Jump to: