Wildwillis1
Wildwillis1
  • Threads: 6
July 24th, 2016 at 9:49:08 AM permalink
So I've done some research and was wondering if this would even be a good idea. If I layed the 10 say, for 123 and then place the 6+8 for 12, and parly them for two hits, would this be any better then playing the dark side?
As a landscaper you learn a few things. 1. Mushrooms can be as hard as rocks. 2. It's not how fast you mow. But how well you mow fast. 3. Not all grass was created equal.
pingclassic
pingclassic
  • Threads: 4
July 24th, 2016 at 10:21:57 AM permalink
I don't think hedging is ever good..... I think you would be better off to put the full amount on the 6 & 8 and once you have hit them both or each one twice and recovered your money press and parlay till your heart's content!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment...<Will Rogers>
Wildwillis1
Wildwillis1
  • Threads: 6
July 24th, 2016 at 1:12:11 PM permalink
Quote: pingclassic

I don't think hedging is ever good..... I think you would be better off to put the full amount on the 6 & 8 and once you have hit them both or each one twice and recovered your money press and parlay till your heart's content!

So this would be a form of hedging then? Do you mind explaining further as to how this would be hedging? I mean, I would call it hedging if I was to lay and place the 10. I'm still new to the whole don't hedge thing, so give me just a little slack on this.
As a landscaper you learn a few things. 1. Mushrooms can be as hard as rocks. 2. It's not how fast you mow. But how well you mow fast. 3. Not all grass was created equal.
whodat
whodat
  • Threads: 7
July 24th, 2016 at 1:23:39 PM permalink
Quote: Wildwillis1

So this would be a form of hedging then? Do you mind explaining further as to how this would be hedging? I mean, I would call it hedging if I was to lay and place the 10. I'm still new to the whole don't hedge thing, so give me just a little slack on this.

If you lay the 10 for $40 (to win $20) AND you place the 6/8 for $12 each you are hedging. What this means is that if a 7 rolls you would win $19 ($20 - $1 vig) and lose $24 for a net loss of $5. By using the above method, what you are hoping for is a hit or two on the 6/8 so you can then take them down (6 hits $14, 8 hits $14, take them down +$28). Now if a 7 hits you are up $47. If a 10 hits you have lost $12 as opposed to $40 if all you have is the 10 lay.

Similarly people have hedged the pass line bet with the any craps bet. $15 PL and $3 anycraps. If a 7 or 11 rolls, you win $12, if a box number rolls you lose $3, and if a crap number roll you win $6.
alphastorm
alphastorm
  • Threads: 17
November 12th, 2016 at 5:23:16 AM permalink
I think it's better to parlay your wins than hedging. I prefer alternating between taking the wins and parlay after each hit.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 12th, 2016 at 11:28:22 AM permalink
If you lay the 10 I'm pretty sure that means you have bet don't pass. I don't think you can lay the 10 otherwise. So, if you want to hedge if you have bet $100 on don't pass, you could bet $70 placing the 10 and get 9/5 which means no matter what happens you will win some money. $30 if you roll a 7 winning your don't pass bet and losing your place bet; $26 if the 10 comes and you lose your don't pass bet. If only you could be sure you can get through the first roll of the don't pass bet without sevening or elevening out. But of course, you can't.
Please don't feed the trolls
alphastorm
alphastorm
  • Threads: 17
November 12th, 2016 at 4:18:25 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

If you lay the 10 I'm pretty sure that means you have bet don't pass. I don't think you can lay the 10 otherwise. So, if you want to hedge if you have bet $100 on don't pass, you could bet $70 placing the 10 and get 9/5 which means no matter what happens you will win some money. $30 if you roll a 7 winning your don't pass bet and losing your place bet; $26 if the 10 comes and you lose your don't pass bet. If only you could be sure you can get through the first roll of the don't pass bet without sevening or elevening out. But of course, you can't.

Sorry but there is a lot wrong with your statement. You can lay any number anytime. Also buying 4/10 when you are betting $25 or more is better than placing 4/10.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 13th, 2016 at 4:10:25 AM permalink
The following was in response to a post suggesting a simultaneous LAY the 10 and PLACE the 6/8.

Quote: pingclassic

The above quote introduces the term "hedge" into the equation ... and at first I thought unjustly so.

The "Next Roll" is always most likely to be a 7, but has sufficient other alternatives to make the game viable and we all know there have been three hour sessions wherein that "most likely 7" simply does not raise its ugly head.

I think it certainly is a 'hedge' in that it attempts to ameliorate the impact of a 7, rather than allow the bettor to take his full rewards or full lumps as the case may be.

YET, by having such bets down... If the slightly more likely six and eight DO roll and the somewhat UNlikely ten and four do NOT roll, the bettor sure cleans up pretty good. Of course as in any other situation if the dice cooperate, the bettor cleans up pretty good. It is possible for the 4 and 10 to roll and then have seven roll, thus making ALL the bets losers.

From a temporal point of view, the "roll" is going to average somewhere around eight tosses of the dice, is it really all that bad to assume that the results of these eight or so rolls will be in accordance with the natural order of the universe as expressed to four decimal points?
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
  • Threads: 49
November 13th, 2016 at 10:16:52 PM permalink
This is absolutely and emphatically NOT a hedge. Since each bet can completely win and resolve by itself without loosing, it isn't a hedge.

A hedge limits a loss of a bet.

At any rate, I think it is a great way to play.
slackyhacky
slackyhacky
  • Threads: 49
November 13th, 2016 at 10:20:07 PM permalink
Found this on the web.

"According to its dictionary definition, the verb “hedge” means to reduce one's risk of loss by compensating transactions on the other side of a bet or speculation. In gambling, specifically, “hedging” is an action taken to mitigate the damage of a poor wager."

A lay 10 is not the opposite or other side of a place 6 or 8.
jkluv7
jkluv7
  • Threads: 4
November 21st, 2016 at 2:19:00 PM permalink
In another post somewhere, there is this method. I do not consider it a hedge...

3 green makes a nice spread: $12 each 6 and 8, $50 no 4 (or no 10) + $1 vig = $75 initial outlay.
A 7 right away is a wash. Do a unit press on both the 6 and 8 until 3 hits:
a) $12 wins $14; keep $2, press both to $18
b) $18 wins $21; keep $9, press both to $24
c) $24 wins $28; keep $16, press both to $30 and take down the lay.
Any 7 before then and you've locked up whatever you took back.
If you get past the 3rd hit you have $60 in action, $27 in winnings, and no hedge.
Obviously, the downside is knocking out the lay bet.

As far as what to do next, I'd probably transition to line+odds, replacing the place
bets as needed with full odds. If you're skittish, regress the 6 and 8 back to $12 each,
locking up a larger win at the expense of smaller action.

No, this isn't a "don't pass" hedge either.
  • Jump to: