fbkaiser
fbkaiser
  • Threads: 2
January 1st, 2010 at 4:39:13 AM permalink
To teddys or anyone:

What is the difference in house edge between playing Span 21 with the Wizard's Span 21 stand 17 (2nd graphic), or playing it with the optimal BJ 4-8 deck, hit 17 strategy?

The Span 21 strat is too hard for me to remember.

ty

Kaiser
pocketaces
pocketaces
  • Threads: 3
January 1st, 2010 at 11:54:17 AM permalink
One word: Huge. While differing regular blackjack rules can be played fairly effectively by simply using the regular S17 multi-deck chart, its a whole different ballgame for spanish 21.

I don't know if the edge under these conditions has ever been calculated, but based on the fact that a true count of -4 on a H17 blackjack game leads to a house advantage of about 3.0%, I would imagine it is around 2 percent due to the bonuses which you will still get using any strategy. But there are simply far too many differences in the cells on the strategy charts, many of which are on hands that are very commonly dealt, and this increases the edge significantly.

My best advice would be to look for patterns and develop a simple strategy for areas that are different than blackjack. For example, you should at least memorize what to do with stiff hands and soft totals. Then worry about the multiple 'exceptions' later. This would bring the house edge down signifcantly.

Simply put, there is absolutely no reason to play this game using blackjack strategy. Its a different game. You will notice that, compared to regular blackjack: The dealer is going to bust far less, your double downs will work less often, and you must be significantly more agressive with regards to hitting as you 'stands' have far less value. Without a strategy to compensate for this, just play blackjack instead.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
January 19th, 2010 at 10:40:36 AM permalink
Sorry for chiming in late, but I agree with PocketAces. Don't bother playing S21 if you don't learn the strategy. Stick to blackjack.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
February 3rd, 2011 at 5:52:08 PM permalink
I have been working on the Spanish 21 BS, much more to the game than BJ ! Using the BS from this site , I have made my flashcards. Do not play if you do not know the BS cold , you will get demolished ( I have yet to actuallly play ). I have read Katarina Walker's book , and when I master the concepts , I will give S21 a try . Around here the S21 is: H17, 6D,double double down w/ a . 40 house edge ( , which is better that any BJ game around here). It would be nice to be able to do both , equally !!!

May all your Aces have Faces !!!
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
February 3rd, 2011 at 5:59:11 PM permalink
PS- make sure you check the game out !!

Rules, Decks House Edge
H17 6 D 0.78%
8 D 0.80% ( ouch !!!!!)

S17 6 D 0.37%
8 D 0.38%

H17 (with redoubling )6D 0.42% ( that is the game around here)
8D 0.45%
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
  • Jump to: