September 29th, 2026 at 4:51:57 AM
permalink
In the day and age of 8 deck shoes, is it even worth it to learn to card count? I would like to give it a shot but given the amount of time needed to get from here to there, I have reservations. Could some of you give me your opinion? (Hey, my first post!)
September 29th, 2026 at 5:00:02 AM
permalink
Depends how you define “worth it”. Depends on where you live and how much you’re making now. Depends how good you are at other AP skills.
Welcome to the forum :)
Also as a side note knowing how to card count is important if you want to work in surveillance… to catch card counters. So if you’re looking for a new career it could be worth it in that way
Welcome to the forum :)
Also as a side note knowing how to card count is important if you want to work in surveillance… to catch card counters. So if you’re looking for a new career it could be worth it in that way
September 29th, 2026 at 5:13:43 AM
permalink
I would put it this way. It’s not worth it.
September 29th, 2026 at 5:38:03 AM
permalink
You seem worried that it will take some time to become proficient (and, for many people, save up an initial bankroll). If you weren't studying card counting, what would you be doing instead?
There are surely worse hobbies. Why, from a storage space perspective alone, a wholesome hobby like reading comic books can quickly overwhelm a dwelling, where a dozen decks of cards, a shoe, some chips, and a rug take up practically nothing by comparison.
There are surely worse hobbies. Why, from a storage space perspective alone, a wholesome hobby like reading comic books can quickly overwhelm a dwelling, where a dozen decks of cards, a shoe, some chips, and a rug take up practically nothing by comparison.
May the cards fall in your favor.
September 29th, 2026 at 5:43:36 AM
permalink
I am comfortably retired and live about 2 hours away from 4 “riverboat” style casinos. I make it to Vegas about once a year and could do week long vacations in the Gulfport area a couple of times a year.
So I’m not looking for work, I just would like to play a non-negative EV game and keep my mind agile. A break even game would be worth it for me.
So I’m not looking for work, I just would like to play a non-negative EV game and keep my mind agile. A break even game would be worth it for me.
September 29th, 2026 at 5:46:48 AM
permalink
I have plenty of time and I would be happy if I could break even. But I guess break even would be my bottom line, I don’t have to make money, I just don’t want to lose money.
September 29th, 2026 at 6:01:29 AM
permalink
You sound like a fine candidate.
Never underestimate the power of taking a break. Simply not playing (restroom, phone call, or...) when the deck turns sour can help substantially, from a cash play side.
I'd definitely read Comp City, if you haven't. I expect that the current offers will be less generous than what is described in the heyday, but playing enough to get dinner and gas money covered is probably viable.
Never underestimate the power of taking a break. Simply not playing (restroom, phone call, or...) when the deck turns sour can help substantially, from a cash play side.
I'd definitely read Comp City, if you haven't. I expect that the current offers will be less generous than what is described in the heyday, but playing enough to get dinner and gas money covered is probably viable.
May the cards fall in your favor.
September 29th, 2026 at 7:34:13 AM
permalink
Quote: ehtelgaebI would like to give it a shot but
There's your answer. Give it a shot.
Quote: ehtelgaebgiven the amount of time needed to get from here to there, I have reservations.
Counting through a deck takes like one minute. Then do some reading and watch some videos, which can take a few hours or many hours. Put in whatever time you would like to. Then more practice exercises for however much or however little time you would like. Then go to the casino and put your skills into action. I would say for whatever amount of time you would like, but it's really the casino that decides how much time you can do it for.

