GreenChipBaron
GreenChipBaron
  • Threads: 9
January 7th, 2018 at 12:39:58 PM permalink
In discussing SD strategy with a friend, we're having a difference in opinion about how to apply indices to a SD game and I'm having trouble understanding his point of view.

An index play is by definition a deviation from basic strategy. In a H17 SD game, the following is basic strategy:

9v2 -> Double
8v6 -> Double

To me, that means that you always double those hands in positive counts. There's some negative index to NOT double them below 0.

From my friend's point of view, yes basic strategy has those as a double, but since we're counting and using index plays:

9v2 -> Double at +1
8v6 -> Double at +3

Not considering any risk adjustment for CE or anything like that, aren't those indexes objectively wrong from an EV point of view? Basic strategy assumes you have no information so the count is essentially 0. How would it make sense that the actual +EV index is quite a bit higher if you suddenly choose to use indices, but is still the most efficient play for someone who isn't counting at all with essentially a 0 count?
Last edited by: GreenChipBaron on Jan 7, 2018
tyler498
tyler498
  • Threads: 20
January 7th, 2018 at 8:14:40 PM permalink
Basic strategy takes in account the composition of the hand.
8v6 is a count of +3, so for someone who is not counting the average count for when you have that hand is +3 which is why B.S. says to double. 9v2 is +2 or +3.
The indices are correct and overrule BS
  • Jump to: