boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
February 13th, 2018 at 11:08:30 AM permalink
Liberals are fine to complain about taxes not being spent efficiently. As well, liberals should be worried about the deficit as well.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Nathan
Nathan 
  • Threads: 65
February 13th, 2018 at 6:20:46 PM permalink
About tipping actually becoming a problem for the WAITRESS, a woman found herself basically fired when she got a $200 tip on a $13 dollar plate of food or something like that. The customer came back a week later claiming he meant to tip her $2 and demanded she pay his $200 back or something like that. Her copy and his copy of his receipt both said,"$200.00" in the tip section.

He said something like,"Why would I tip $200 on a $13 plate of food? She should have seen a red flag right off the bat at the exhoribitant tip." The rub is she had already spent the $200 as once again he came back a week later. It was mentioned she had a young child she was raising on her own IIRC. You can see how fast $200 goes when you are raising a young child on your own. ;) Her boss told her something like,"You are welcome to quit right now," after the customer complained.

People taking her side said,"How did he get $2.00 and $200.00 mixed up? That was his fault. A $20.00 would have been reasonable as it could have been really easy to accidentally add one extra zero, but to add two extra zeros by accident is not very plausible at all.

Plus he came back a week later rather than like the very next day to complain which makes him look sketchy."People taking his side said,"She should have alerted to him that he just have her a $200.00 and ask him if he really meant to pay her so much on just $13 plate of food. How hard is it to ask,"Excuse me sir, this tip is really big, $200. Are you sure you mean to tip me so much?"
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 6
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
February 15th, 2018 at 3:49:56 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Pizza is totally different. I've yet to hear of a pizza place where the tips aren't over and above minimum wage because all of the employees make the standard minimum wage. Maybe there are some out there, but I've never heard of a non-predominantly dine-in pizza place not paying the non-tipped minimum wage.

That's like McDonald's. They all make the regular minimum wage, or more, so there is no expectation of tipping.

During the 90s I delivered pizza for three different places. Two had no hourly wage - one payed 50 cents per delivery, the other a dollar (which was a dine-in place). The one who payed minimum wage expected me to clean and make dough when it was slow.

The worst tippers were not surprisingly college students. Best tippers were the ones that would ask for me to pick up cigarettes or something on the way. Also not surprisingly, waitresses were great tippers. Even had one that would answer the door topless (with her boyfriend laughing in the background) and still tip three dollars on like a 15 dollar order. Worst tip I ever got wasn't a bad tip in absolute terms. I delivered a pizza during a tornado, had to hide under a viaduct for awhile due to severe hail. I get there and the guy says, "I'm giving you the biggest tip you've ever seen." Then he gives me two dollars.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 118
February 26th, 2018 at 7:16:57 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

During the 90s I delivered pizza for three different places. Two had no hourly wage - one payed 50 cents per delivery, the other a dollar (which was a dine-in place). The one who payed minimum wage expected me to clean and make dough when it was slow.

I've never heard of anything like the first two, the third seems typical. They usually help out with after-shift cleanup and stuff like that, as well.

Quote:

The worst tippers were not surprisingly college students. Best tippers were the ones that would ask for me to pick up cigarettes or something on the way. Also not surprisingly, waitresses were great tippers. Even had one that would answer the door topless (with her boyfriend laughing in the background) and still tip three dollars on like a 15 dollar order. Worst tip I ever got wasn't a bad tip in absolute terms. I delivered a pizza during a tornado, had to hide under a viaduct for awhile due to severe hail. I get there and the guy says, "I'm giving you the biggest tip you've ever seen." Then he gives me two dollars.

I'm surprised you were able to get away with picking up cigarettes, is that a relatively common request?
Vultures can't be choosers.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 59
Mission146
February 26th, 2018 at 9:17:34 PM permalink
I can just imagine a 17 y/o kid ordering something cheap like 4 chicken wings from the pizza store then asking the guy to stop by and buy him 2 cartons of Marlboro Reds. lol
нет сговор. нет непроходимость. полный освобождение от ответственности.
BedWetterBetter
BedWetterBetter
  • Threads: 26
February 26th, 2018 at 11:38:20 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

The worst tippers were not surprisingly college students.

Keep in mind, most are burning their tuition and textbook on Drugs & Alcohol.

I work with people in their 30's who still haven't kicked those habits including being poor tippers. Whenever they would order out, they would ask if I wanted to order with them the first two times I said "Sure, get me XXXX." It usually cost $8 and I would throw him a 10 and say use the change as tip.

He would then hand me a wad of bills and say, the delivery guy is down stairs, can you go pick it up. I would naively say "Okay, you included tip right?" and he says "Yea, yea." I head down with what I thought was an abundant amount of cash. The delivery guy would say "$49.65 please!" And much to my surprise the amount of money I have in $10's,$5's and $1's adds up to exactly $50!!!

So now I have to stand there and hand this guy a bunch of crumpled bills and a lousy tip to boot. To which he thinks I'm the one who gave him the low tip. Even though I provided a fair tip amount which my "co-workers" decided to use to cover their tab and not contribute a penny more to what should at least be a minimum tip of $2. I quickly decided I will never order out with this guy and his buddies again.

On the flip side, I went to dinner with 3 friends at a Hooters in NJ when we were all in college. Two of them were waiters at On the Border and felt the need to Over tip because "they know how it is." I initially tipped $4 on an $18 tab and thought that was fair, they looked at me like I had three heads and said "They gotta split that with the bartender and the bus boy and the hostess, etc.." So I made it $8 and they said "Were putting $15 each, you can put whatever you want but know that every bit helps them make ends meet. So I just threw a $5 bill on top of the $8 and said "Thanks guys, I coulda spent this money on gas for the week, but now I can sleep better knowing the Hooter's girl has more money than me tonight!"
Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 31
Mission146
February 27th, 2018 at 6:31:48 AM permalink

I'm surprised you were able to get away with picking up cigarettes, is that a relatively common request?

I had a buddy in college who had the delivery guy to do exactly this on a regular basis. The Little Caesars on campus was just starting their delivery service to the dorms. He would call in a pizza order, then have the driver call him before he left the store. At which time he would ask the delivery guy to pick up his cigs on the way and that he would "take care of him." He'd usually give him the money for the cigarettes & pizza plus a $5 tip (on a $10 order).

The way food service at the university operated at the time, you (or your parents) could put money on an account, then use your student ID to pay for food on campus, debiting from your account. It turns out my buddy was running a scam on his parents. They didn't altogether trust his handling of money. They would not send him cash outright, but wouldn't hesitate to put more money in his dining account. Their boy had to eat, right? This was his way of having his folks finance his smoking habit!

This was back in the 90's, so I'm sure things have changed since then.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 6
Mission146
February 27th, 2018 at 3:19:34 PM permalink

Not uncommon. Typically they would ask for the driver to call before leaving, as if the address needed some explanation. When I called they would request cigarettes, a gallon of milk, or something similar. Only thing I would balk at was alcohol.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 118
February 27th, 2018 at 5:45:09 PM permalink
Apparently not!

I just found it strange because I've had an actual taxi company refuse a very similar request on one occasion. Essentially, I offered them to stop at the gas station, grab the smokes and bring them to me...In exchange, I'd reimburse for the cigarettes, pay as if I had physically went to the gas station and back and would throw a $5 tip on there...anyway, they said no even though the driver was clear at the time of my call.
Vultures can't be choosers.

• Jump to: