ase713
ase713
  • Threads: 1
May 21st, 2017 at 2:34:39 AM permalink
Hi Everyone,

New to the site here.

Does anyone know if the blackjack strategy game and trainer on the wizard of odds website is programmed different than what it should normally be?

I have been using the trainer for 5 working days now to get used to the basic blackjack strategy and rules. I have not been using any betting system other than what the basic blackjack strategy lies out, and have only been placing $1 opening bets before doubling and splitting. For some reason, every day, I am able to make a profit. I start with a bankroll of $1000 and go up $100 per day. Some days it will take my 6 hours and other days it will take 8, etc. It all depends on my luck.

But my question is, if the house has a 1.5% edge on Blackjack, how do I keep coming up in the positive? Have I had a lucky streak for 5 days straight. Theoretically I should be going down in the negative or at even breaking even. Honestly I assume that you are guaranteed to lose money in blackjack and there really is no way around it other than counting cards. So my thought is, that the program is mainly there to teach users how to use the strategy and not so much rely on the odds of the cards.

Does anyone have any light on this? Thanks for any help you can give.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
LostWagesRomes
May 21st, 2017 at 3:51:13 AM permalink
Quote: ase713

Hi Everyone,

New to the site here.

Does anyone know if the blackjack strategy game and trainer on the wizard of odds website is programmed different than what it should normally be?

I have been using the trainer for 5 working days now to get used to the basic blackjack strategy and rules. I have not been using any betting system other than what the basic blackjack strategy lies out, and have only been placing $1 opening bets before doubling and splitting. For some reason, every day, I am able to make a profit. I start with a bankroll of $1000 and go up $100 per day. Some days it will take my 6 hours and other days it will take 8, etc. It all depends on my luck.

But my question is, if the house has a 1.5% edge on Blackjack, how do I keep coming up in the positive? Have I had a lucky streak for 5 days straight. Theoretically I should be going down in the negative or at even breaking even. Honestly I assume that you are guaranteed to lose money in blackjack and there really is no way around it other than counting cards. So my thought is, that the program is mainly there to teach users how to use the strategy and not so much rely on the odds of the cards.

Does anyone have any light on this? Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi Ase,

Welcome to the forum.

I would expect that the Wizard's trainer is representative of reality. Short of the industrial level of accuracy and randomness of a true game, but I'm sure it would be negligible difference.

Now, you say that each day you have managed to turn 1000 into 1100. Well, that is absolutely unremarkable. On a low edge game ( And I expect the edge on that game is actually<1% ) you would expect that daily success with about 90% probability ( 1000/1100)
https://wizardofvegas.com/member/oncedear/blog/2/#post1370

To see such success on 5 straight days, you'd still have a probability of .9^5 = 62% or so. really nothing remarkable there. That's the nature of the game. The house edge does not steadily and relentlessly deplete your bankroll over the short term. You will see lots of winning sessions from time to time. Just like the real game.

It's that variance that makes the game fun to play.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
ase713
ase713
  • Threads: 1
May 21st, 2017 at 9:33:44 AM permalink
Thanks OnceDear, I like your math. I'm actually practicing the basic strategy for when I go to Vegas next week. I will be there for about 6 days and am sure to be gambling for at least 3 of them. I'm bringing $200 bucks to play with strictly for playing adult video games (gambling) and a little bit extra for tipping for free drinks.

I'm pretty certain I can get a few extra laughs in and not lose my money quite as quick as normal when using the basic strategy, and get drinks worth way more than i'm gambling.

Thanks for the help!
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 21st, 2017 at 10:10:22 AM permalink
Quote: ase713

Thanks OnceDear, I like your math. I'm actually practicing the basic strategy for when I go to Vegas next week. I will be there for about 6 days and am sure to be gambling for at least 3 of them. I'm bringing $200 bucks to play with strictly for playing adult video games (gambling) and a little bit extra for tipping for free drinks.

I'm pretty certain I can get a few extra laughs in and not lose my money quite as quick as normal when using the basic strategy, and get drinks worth way more than i'm gambling.

Thanks for the help!

Enjoy your trip to Vegas.
If you are a bit new to BlackJack, check out posts by member LostWages, and read through his blog. He was a BlackJack newbie and was given lots of great advice which made his trip the more pleasurable and more profitable.
https://wizardofvegas.com/blog/member/lostwages

Two top tips. Shun 6:5 Blackjack which seems to be pushing 3:2 Blackjack off the strip and if playing blackjack always have a backup mini bankroll in case your regular bankroll cannot meet a need to double or split.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: