billionaireben
billionaireben
  • Threads: 20
July 15th, 2016 at 9:23:37 AM permalink
What are the changes to basic strategy after splitting? I know it's supposed to be more risk adverse, avoiding busting a little more; but what are the official computer generated changes?
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
July 15th, 2016 at 9:40:29 AM permalink
Quote: billionaireben

What are the changes to basic strategy after splitting? I know it's supposed to be more risk adverse, avoiding busting a little more; but what are the official computer generated changes?

I don't think splitting allows you to play any differently unless you're counting and the cards you see on the table and the cards you take dramatically changes your count to pull an index play. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. This is the first I've heard of a changing the strategy after a split.
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
July 15th, 2016 at 11:42:37 AM permalink

Where are you getting this advice?
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
billionaireben
billionaireben
July 15th, 2016 at 12:31:37 PM permalink
I forget where I heard this, I remember it was from a reliable source (someone like the wizard, but I don't recall) but it was a generalized statement. I think not hitting 16 after a split or something. Falls into the same category as not hitting a certain number of cards hand when you would hit if it were a 2 card hand, that is from the wizard and I have the chart for that one, but not sure about where it came from.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
July 15th, 2016 at 12:43:59 PM permalink
There are no basic strategy changes while splitting.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
July 15th, 2016 at 3:29:46 PM permalink

I forget where I heard this, I remember it was from a reliable source (someone like the wizard, but I don't recall) but it was a generalized statement. I think not hitting 16 after a split or something. Falls into the same category as not hitting a certain number of cards hand when you would hit if it were a 2 card hand, that is from the wizard and I have the chart for that one, but not sure about where it came from.

I'm having a difficult time understanding what you're referring to. Perhaps, (and I'm just guessing here), perhaps this is some weird situation in a single deck game. Say you split 33 v. 7 in a single deck game and you hit your first 3 up to a total of 16, like 3-5-5. With two 3s and two 5s out against a 7 the deck is now slightly rich in 8s and 9s and you would STAND on 16 v 7 instead of the normal hit.

That made my head hurt a little bit. Are you talking about a single deck situation? Otherwise I'm confused, but would still like to hear you continue. It sounds interesting.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 15th, 2016 at 3:47:48 PM permalink
I'm not aware of any changes in BS after splitting. Perhaps some exotic counting method might employ some but BS is BS for anyone not using such a count. If such a count exist. If countinging, you'd adjust for the cards that are now on the table, but no different because you split.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billionaireben
billionaireben
July 15th, 2016 at 9:14:25 PM permalink
If you split and get stiffs, certain stiffs I was told were not to be hit after a split. I recall it being someone reputable, but I can't recall. Unless I find the info, I will assume I remembered wrong. But this was not multiple card stiffs, more like if you split 8's against a A and caught a 7; simply standing on the seven so you don't get 2-4 busts against a dealer card all at once. Again, I will assume I mis-remembered unless I find the info.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
July 16th, 2016 at 1:22:42 AM permalink
Change of Strategy due to cards gone.
(i) If you were playing infinite deck (where you are allowed to re-split and Double After Split) then with usual US or UK rules you wouldn't change your strategy depending on whether you had a split hand or an original one.
(ii) If you were playing finite decks then sometimes the strategy changes for close decisions depending on what cards you have seen. The obvious examples are hitting 16s or some single deck plays. I think most strategies do not consider the other hand after splitting - so I can imagine the decisions on 16s would change depending on the cards used in the other hand. I haven't done the calculation but if you split 2's vs 4 and both hands had 10 2 the I'd guess it would be correct to hit the first one.

Change of Strategy depending on whether Original Only bet loses
This situation only really happens if you have split 8's where the dealer can still get Blackjack and there is an Australian rule where something like Original and Busted hands lose. In that case you stand on 15 unless this is a last hand standing. I think this is what you might have been referring to.

You can see fuller details here ( https://wizardofodds.com/games/australian-blackjack/ ).

Freebet
You haven't mentioned it but there is a game where you get a free split - in this case the strategies for the two hands are different. https://wizardofodds.com/games/free-bet-blackjack/
  • Jump to: