racquet
racquet
  • Threads: 50
June 6th, 2016 at 5:57:32 PM permalink
Assuming you can play basic strategy flawlessly and can count (EZ) without any problem, and that you still might have some extra bandwidth to do something more, what added activity might you want to add to your routine to add value?

I'm thinking counting aces might be doable, but then how do you apply it, and to what benefit? There is a progressive sidebet that requires a dealer blackjack, so a deck rich in aces would perhaps be an incentive to play. I see people playing that game on the first hand in the shoe, when the ace count is at zero. But if there were maybe 12 or 14 aces left in the last 2 decks of a six deck shoe, would that justify playing it on the LAST round? Assuming you could know this.

I've read that count-dependant adjustments in basic strategy, I18 at a minimum, add only slightly to your advantage, and I have trouble sliding those adjustments along the number line as the count changes. I don't have a mental matrix in my head for them, probably because when I get frustrated trying to build one I remind myself how slight a benefit people say you gain.

But counting aces. I have been doing that, just to see if I could, and sure enough, I think I can keep an accurate count (I'd need to test at home with a full shoe to see if that's true, since I can't ask to go through all the cards after the cut-card to see how well I do it in real-life).

Is it worth it?
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
June 7th, 2016 at 7:02:52 AM permalink
Quote: racquet

...Is it worth it?

Eh, no... not really. If you're playing shorter decks (1D or 2D) then if you're proficient at counting side counting aces is just something that you should naturally be doing at that point. You could use it in assistance with your regular count... So if you have TC +3, which normally mandates a $100 bet, when you know it's TC +3 because it's ace heavy, then it would probably be a bit advantageous to a) spread to 2 hands (upping your likely hood of catching a blackjack) and b) bet more (so long as it's within your bankroll tolerance).
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
BW21
BW21
  • Threads: 16
June 7th, 2016 at 7:49:01 PM permalink
If your going to count you should learn the I18 index deviations because it adds a good amount to your edge. The index for insurance is the most important, which you always take at a true 3 or higher count. About 1/4 of the edge from counting is gained from learning those deviations.
onalinehorse
onalinehorse
  • Threads: 1
June 7th, 2016 at 8:30:35 PM permalink
Actually 30% of a counter's profits come from insurance bets. At least that is what 2 guys I met on the Strip told me. One was a white Asian, the other was on a unicycle.
  • Jump to: