Brackjack
Brackjack
  • Threads: 1
February 21st, 2016 at 3:34:21 PM permalink
If using the hi-lo count in blackjack, would it make the count more accurate if I added +1 if spotting a pair of 5s, 7s, or 5/7? Same goes for subtracting 1 for a pair of 2s, 9s, or 2/9. This is instead of learning the full halves count.

Thanks!
surrender88s
surrender88s
  • Threads: 20
February 21st, 2016 at 8:53:40 PM permalink
welcome to the forum. Slightly offended by the username.
"Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1." -Warren Buffett on risk/return
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
February 23rd, 2016 at 6:57:52 AM permalink
Quote: Brackjack

If using the hi-lo count in blackjack, would it make the count more accurate if I added +1 if spotting a pair of 5s, 7s, or 5/7? Same goes for subtracting 1 for a pair of 2s, 9s, or 2/9. This is instead of learning the full halves count.

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forums. It really depends on your comfort level. You're not going to get that much more value (gain per hand) out from doing something like this... but if you're 'bored' with Hi/Low, and have it MASTERED, then perhaps you could work something this in, or try a level 2 count, to get a bit more advanced and make pennies more per hand. You have to weigh the cons of your pennies per hand with new potential mistakes that may arise as a result of making your count more complex though. If you can successfully make the transition with no mistakes then it will yield very slightly more EV. Only you can figure out if it's worth the trade offs, for you!
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 23rd, 2016 at 7:36:57 AM permalink
I would focus more on playing fewer negative counts (either wonging in our out) and playing better games (with better pen and rules) than squeezing a few pennies out of a better count.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
February 23rd, 2016 at 8:06:15 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

I would focus more on playing fewer negative counts (either wonging in our out) and playing better games (with better pen and rules) than squeezing a few pennies out of a better count.

+1
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
  • Jump to: