OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
December 20th, 2015 at 3:14:46 AM permalink
Don't try this at home. It's stupid and dangerous !!!

To set the scene, yesterday I had a good day at RNG Blackjack. I turned a £500 balance into £2500.50, attributed to lots of good luck and Basic Strategy.
That pleased me most of all, because when I updated the chart of my running bankroll, it left me up over the psychological £10,000 line. https://wizardofvegas.com/member/oncedear/blog/#post1281

Not wanting to throw it all back, I requested a withdrawal request to move all of that money to my bank account (takes 3 days).

But then I got sad and greedy: I was just a few hundred shy of my all time high, and worse than that, I would need to make another deposit so that I'd have something to play with over Christmas.

Me. Addicted.... Nooooo.... $;o)

It's an obvious truth that Marty and similar progressives are stupid, destructive, dangerous, and occasionally fun. But what the hell.

Withdrawal request cancelled! Balance to play with £2500.50. My intention was to put up to £500 at risk and try to get to £2750. Probability of success with Marty, somewhere in the region of (500/750)=66.7%, Less a bit for the exposure to tiny house-edge, call it 64.7% **

Progressive to be used was to be 10, 20, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 ... resetting on a win. Only original bet to be Marty'd

Jeez, I'm a lucky fool.

Lowest ebb was down £20 to £2480.50 !!!!!
79 wagers in total over 20 minutes.
Average wager £23.80
Biggest wager £70, which won with a Natural.
I didn't stop till £3,000 !!!
Re-Cashed out my £2,500 leaving £500 to play with over Christmas.

Seriously guys. I know this was stupid. I know progressive wagering is a recipe for disaster. I know. I KNOW! But it was fun.

** I could calculate it properly, but I cannot be bothered. It's a decent approximation.
*** Evidence available to Wizard and any of moderators, on request.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 20th, 2015 at 4:40:02 AM permalink
as long as you're having fun and can afford to lose what you are wagering ... no apologies needed*

Nice!

*if you can't afford to lose it, the day is coming when you will - it's inevitable, must be a version of Murphy's Law
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
December 20th, 2015 at 7:13:40 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

as long as you're having fun and can afford to lose what you are wagering ... no apologies needed

It's a guilty pleasure, a bit like showing off my chainsaw juggling trick.
I'd hate to encourage anyone to think that Marty is a good idea. It's reckless and adds nothing to.EV.
A bit like flat betting 2 columns in one roulette wheel spin, it was more likely I'd win than lose but my risk was big and very real. There is, of course the added risk that I might get cocky and keep doing this repeatedly with bigger stakes. A sure road to ruin.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: