Flippyfish
Flippyfish
  • Threads: 5
July 27th, 2015 at 11:24:37 PM permalink
Hey guys. I'm new here and this is only my second post. But since last time was so helpful I thought I'd ask one more question here.
What would be the best way to evenly distribute profits for 2 players using the same bankroll? We have roughly 35k between the 2 of us and there is also an investor who has agreed to take 30% of profits leaving 70% for us. me and my friend thought that it might help a bit with negative variance if we split our 70% of profits amongst eachother(35% each). At the same time it might be unfair if someone logs in way more hours than the other for that particular bankroll or if someone Made majority of that bankroll. What would be the best way to approach splitting profits fairly while still addressing and giving incentive to 1. Make money and 2. Log as many hours as possible. if anyone knows anything about small team play or how to structure a 2 person team with an investor evenly any advice would be greatly appreciated.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 28th, 2015 at 9:51:33 AM permalink
Definitely by hours played. I have never believed in incentivising based upon who won the bigger amount. That may encourage the person that is behind to make worse plays in order to hit a jackpot.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
July 28th, 2015 at 10:40:10 AM permalink
Since I don't recall seeing your other post, WELCOME to the forums =).

You've come across a huge issue with team play... Assuming you're actually winning, and no one is skimming, then paying everyone. If you have a small 3 man operation as it sounds, this is a little bit easier, but you'll still see the same issues. It really depends on your partnership, and if it's all business or there's a friendship behind it. I have a partner, and we do everything literal 50/50. Most of the time we go on trips together and play at the same time in different places/pits/tables/etc, so our hours correlate. If they do not however, we establish how it's handled before hand. Since he also happens to be my best friend that I trust with my life, I trust what he tells me point blank. This is a huge risk on my behalf because he could fleece me and I would never be the wiser (until eventually the numbers show us more than 3 SD out, but that would take a long time with just a 2 man team playing weekends).

What it comes down to is trust. If you trust each of you are putting in the same amount of work then you should split the pay evenly. If he has 10 more hours than you this month, but you have 10 more the next month, etc. Now if he CONSISTENTLY has more hours than you because maybe he doesn't have another job, or whatever the reason, then yes, he's earning the team more and should be paid more based on the EV he's generating.

I wouldn't do anything by hours, or by amount won/loss. Most teams (such as the MIT team) did things by EV/CE. If you play for 1 hour at a super juicy game and your EV for that hour is $200, but I play at a crap game for 3 hours and my EV is $150, YOU did more for the team even though you played 1/3 as much as me. When you look at the games being played and the EV being generated, it all becomes black and white then.

So my suggestion is to split the profits based off EV. If you have the friendship and you have hours that are pretty close already (and one of you isn't consistently higher than the other) then I would just do an even split and call it a day without arguing over a few percent. You'll make more money if you play together for 10 years than you would if you got the extra 5% now for 1-2 years before splitting up.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
  • Jump to: