No votes (0%)
1 vote (7.69%)

13 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
May 18th, 2015 at 3:27:39 PM permalink
I just wrote a new page on the Highest Hand blackjack side bet. The idea is that you play two or three hands of blackjack and bet which one will have the higher initial total. A blackjack is paid premium odds and other wins are paid fair odds. However, you lose on ties.

Please click the link and let me know what you think. As always, I welcome comments, questions, and especially corrections.

The question for the poll is would you play Highest Hand?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
cyrus
cyrus
  • Threads: 7
May 18th, 2015 at 3:59:59 PM permalink
Doesn't seem very compelling. It's a complete random chance without even the appearance of a choice. Especially if played online.

Yeah I know that most games also boil down to a biased coin flip , but part of the appeal is the illusion of choice / playing a hunch or superstition. Favorite color, playing a streak, even a real coin heads vs tails, many people have a preference. In this game I see little to compel me to choose the left hand vs right hand. Especially as they are both my own hands so I don't really want to cheer for the "other hand" to be lower.

edit: disregard question about busted hands. This bet applies to first 2 cards only. That reduces my interest further.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
May 18th, 2015 at 4:43:16 PM permalink
The appeal of side bets IMO is to bet a small amount for the chance of winning big. For instance you might be at a $25 table and play a side bet for $5, with a chance for that $5 bet to hit you a big win of up to $1000 or something. This IMO, takes away the thrill of doing that.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 18th, 2015 at 6:22:02 PM permalink
I agree with gabes. This is a boring side bet.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
  • Jump to: