Avincow
Avincow
  • Threads: 24
January 12th, 2015 at 1:01:19 PM permalink
I notice some differences in index numbers from source to source. I thought it was widely believed that you stand 16 v 9 at TC=5 in Hilo, but i am using cvdata index generator which gives me stand 16 v 9 at 4. What gives?

If I stand at 4 or 5, will there be much difference? What if I do what Arnold Snyder does and group things into +1, +5, -1, how much will that affect things?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 12th, 2015 at 1:52:24 PM permalink
Don't do +1/+5/-1 etc. They're so simple to memorize, it makes no sense in any case.

Doing something at +4 or +5 doesn't really change much in your EV overall.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
January 12th, 2015 at 2:21:24 PM permalink
There was a pretty knowledgeable poster back on Ken Smith's BJ site that went by AutomaticMonkey. He was/is a real sharp AP, with strong math skills. I wish I had a fraction of his ability.

Anyway, AutoMonk published what he called the Ben Franklin count, recommended for shoe BJ games (which is still available online in a PDF if you google ben franklin count). The Ben Franklin count was basically the level 2 Revere Point Count, as far as tags for counting. The difference is that he rounded off all the index play numbers to either +5 or +10. The name Ben Franklin had something to do with 5 and dime stores (which is what he rounded indices to). I never really got that connection....probably something before my time.

Anyway, the point is that the rounding off of index plays into only 2 numbers, +5 and +10, has almost zero effect on the win rates, when compared to actual precise index plays. It was a difference of a few cents literally. It goes to show that in today's mediocre at best games, especially multi-deck, shoe games, it's really all about the bet spread. Index plays just aren't nearly as important as years ago with better games.
Avincow
Avincow
  • Threads: 24
January 12th, 2015 at 10:31:24 PM permalink
Okay so I have been playing around with the index generation a little bit more. Running under the same parameters, sometimes I get stand at 4 for 16v9, sometimes I get 5 for 16v9. sometimes I get double at 0 for 9v3 sometimes i get double at 1 for 9v3. The difference between plays sometimes is very small. So I guess it could go either way.

Sometimes I get nervous that I am learning the wrong numbers. And it's hard to realize mistakes in the short run. you can only realize mistakes in the long run.
  • Jump to: