Wanderer
Wanderer
  • Threads: 19
July 19th, 2014 at 8:42:36 PM permalink
I'm looking for some advice on betting spreads for my normal playing scenarios. Here's some information:

1. I usually bring $300-$500 to the table. Not really ever looking to break the bank, just double my money.
2. $10 minimum DD table. 3/2 BJ, S17, DAS, etc. Good table. No surrender, though.
3. I use Hi/Low.

If you were me, how would you play your money relative to the count and my bank roll?
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 19th, 2014 at 9:33:40 PM permalink
The usual pattern for hi/low as 10-20-30-50. At a $10 min. $200 out of pocket/ 200 reserve. JMHO
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
July 19th, 2014 at 9:53:54 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

The usual pattern for hi/low as 10-20-30-50.

What?
Wanderer
Wanderer
July 19th, 2014 at 10:43:11 PM permalink
Quote: 98Clubs

The usual pattern for hi/low as 10-20-30-50. At a $10 min. $200 out of pocket/ 200 reserve. JMHO

At what count are you suggesting raising my bet to $20, $30, etc.?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
July 20th, 2014 at 3:18:41 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

What?

Ya I'm trying to figure that one out too.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 20th, 2014 at 5:21:03 AM permalink
Quote: Wanderer

I'm looking for some advice on betting spreads for my normal playing scenarios. Here's some information:

1. I usually bring $300-$500 to the table. Not really ever looking to break the bank, just double my money.
2. $10 minimum DD table. 3/2 BJ, S17, DAS, etc. Good table. No surrender, though.
3. I use Hi/Low.

If you were me, how would you play your money relative to the count and my bank roll?

Can you bring 3k or so to the table? Without knowing the specifics of your trip or session it's really hard to pin down a bankroll. To answer your question, if I were you I would not go near that game with $300-$500 dollars because the risk is too great.

I like a 1-8 spread for this game, more if you can get away with it but you probably won't. I don't think you have enough for even a 1-4 spread which could work on this game depending on penetration, number of players etc.

You're going to try this anyway aren't you? Let's see if we can stretch that bankroll. Wonging can greatly help here. Is mid shoe entry allowed? If so use wonging to you full advantage but remember that it is a huge red flag. If you can wong, I would play short sessions in the 30 to 45 minute range.

The best I can advise you is to be patient and build your bankroll.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Wanderer
Wanderer
July 20th, 2014 at 6:50:11 AM permalink
Quote:

Can you bring 3k or so to the table?

No.

Quote:

Without knowing the specifics of your trip or session it's really hard to pin down a bankroll. To answer your question, if I were you I would not go near that game with $300-$500 dollars because the risk is too great.

I play for fun. If I lose, I lose. But obviously I like to win.

Quote:

I don't think you have enough for even a 1-4 spread which could work on this game depending on penetration, number of players etc

What I generally do is play $10 on neutral to negative counts, $25 with a TC of 2, and $50 with a TC of 3+. It's possible to burn out quickly with some bad luck, and when I do, that's okay.

Quote:

You're going to try this anyway aren't you?

Already have. I'm not new Blackjack or card counting. I am just looking to maximize my odds of winning in what is mostly a casual approach to the game.

Quote:

Wonging can greatly help here. Is mid shoe entry allowed?

No.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 20th, 2014 at 7:16:25 AM permalink
Okay then, Wanderer. You know that you are over betting and you accept that. You'll win some and you'll lose some. You are an informed gambler who is hopefully enjoying himself.

One area of concern is having your max bet out and getting into a multiple split/double situation but you've probably already been there. Carry on and good cards and best of luck to you!
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Wanderer
Wanderer
July 20th, 2014 at 10:05:35 AM permalink
Those of you who count (whatever your bankroll) using hi/low, what are your markers for increasing your bet according to your spread? Let's say you're at a $10-$1,000 table. What do you bet on the first hand of a fresh cut? Do you jump to specific figure every time the TC goes up a number? Whatever money you play, how do you systematically vary your betting according to the count?

If you would, answer the question from two different perspectives. The first one being if you had zero concern for getting backed off. You wouldn't get any heat no matter what you did. You could jump your bet from $10 one hand to $1,000 the next and double bird both the Pit Boss and the Eye in the Sky while doing so and nothing would happen. The second one being what you (may) do to camouflage your counting scheme.

Curious as what everyone else does. You can always learn.
kewlj
kewlj
July 20th, 2014 at 10:39:58 AM permalink
I don't usually like to talk about my spread and ramp in too much detail, but I'll answer your question as best I can. First, you left out a key piece of info, when describing your game....penetration. The DD game described @ 50% penetration (1 deck cut) is going to require a bigger spread than the same game @ 75% penetration (half deck cut).

Your absolute zero heat scenario, no matter what you do. Yes, table minimum at all neg EV counts and table max at all plus EV counts, ASSUMING you had the BR to handle the swings at that level. But there is no such thing as zero heat scenario, at least in my world. EVERYTHING has consequences.

My own DD betting strategy, (assuming an average game of about 60% pen): 1-8 spread, but I camoflauge it by playing either 2-3 units off the top and then dropping to 1 unit in negative counts (usually 2 to start, 3 second time through spread, if I play a second time through spread). The advantage of this is that rarely will you be betting 1 unit (negative count) and 8 units (max bet) in the same shuffle. So one shuffle where the count goes positive, will look like a smaller spread 2 units to 8 units or 1-4 spread, while a shuffle where the count goes negative will just look like you are alternating from 2-1 units. They have to look at multiple 'shoes' or times through the decks to put the two together and see full spread.
kewlj
kewlj
July 20th, 2014 at 11:26:32 AM permalink
Oh and for your situation, Wanderer, where you are playing a $10 minimum, DD game with a trip bankroll of $300-$500, I would spread $10-$40, wonging out of at least the worst of negative counts. @ $40 max bets you are only bringing 10-12 max bets to the table, which is not good, but you have to accept if that is what you want to bring to the table, you are playing with a high RoR. At DD, you can't wong out of negative counts too aggressively or you would constantly be jumping in and out, but at least get out of the worst of the negative counts.
  • Jump to: