Hollywood06
Hollywood06
  • Threads: 19
April 22nd, 2010 at 9:54:54 AM permalink
In no way am i looking for the guarenteed seat to win(there isnt one), just getting opinion on what you guys think and like

WHEN COUNTING! Do you prefer 3rd base so you can see more cards come out and thus get a better opinion on whether to stand, hit, double etc?

OR

Do you prefer 1st base WHEN COUNTING so when you have a good count going your more likely to get the 10's and A's as opposed to if you were sitting at 3rd and now you have 4-5 people possibly eating up your A's and 10's?
Malaru
Malaru
  • Threads: 79
April 22nd, 2010 at 10:42:42 AM permalink
i perfer to sit at 7th for the reason that most of the tables I have the abiltiy to sit at are continuous shuffle machines- i figure if I sit at 7th I can have enough cards come out and enouhg time to look them over that what little edge I can get from counting I can use (say the first 6 use 10 face cards out of 12 cards delt- albiet this is a overwelmingly strong outcome). i know it sounds petty but i perfer seat 7 at a continuous deck and maybe center table for shoes.
"Although men flatter themselves with their great actions, they are not so often the result of a great design as of chance." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
April 22nd, 2010 at 11:04:51 AM permalink
I prefer to sit at...well...shortstop? 6th on a 7 person table, 5th on a 6 person, etc. that way, I can see many cards come out but I'm not in a spot where I'd draw scrutiny. Also, not sitting last makes it less likely that new players will question my basic strategy plays and rattle me. Nothing like being berated for hitting a 12 against a 3 or surrendering a 16 in last position against a 10, having the dealer suck out, and then listening to some drunk kid whine for 30 minutes.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
CloudStrife1212
CloudStrife1212
  • Threads: 10
May 1st, 2010 at 9:44:36 AM permalink
I'd definitely prefer to sit at 1st base. Greatest chance at taking advantage of the count, best impact of what I bet. If you sit at third at a +6 but there's three players ahead of you and they all get faces and aces, you've bet the farm and you're sitting at a +2. Also, the theory for sitting at 3rd (knowing how to hit/stand... likely per the illustrious 18), from my understanding at least, isn't the main advantage of counting, it's a way to boost your advantage. Might be a little more obvious at 1st, but that's where I stay.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
May 1st, 2010 at 10:31:12 AM permalink
I prefer first and third, because it lowers the chances of a smoker sitting next to me by 50%. Of the two, I prefer first, because I won't have to get the usual remarks about saving or ruining the table.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
toastcmu
toastcmu
  • Threads: 17
May 1st, 2010 at 12:21:31 PM permalink
I actually prefer 5th/6th since it's next to last, and you avoid the grief of not doing what everyone else at the table thinks you should do. I always seem to have negative variance when I sit at first ;)

-B
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
May 1st, 2010 at 12:52:35 PM permalink
First because you get your "action" out of the way first and can "turn off" mentally while the rest of the players' hands and the dealer's hand is resolved. If you are at third, you pay attention to the other players' hand either consciously or unconsciously, and it is tiring. Of course there's also the "you messed up the table" factor.
Of course this doesn't apply when counting since you always have to pay attention to other hands.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
May 1st, 2010 at 1:27:53 PM permalink
I agree with the Wizard about the smoke. I would add elbow room as a reason for first or third base.
If you are counting then whether the cards are dealt up or down is important, If down, then first base, if up, then third.

Also expect more "heat" at third than at first because pit bosses mistakenly think that counters only sit at third base.

Third base usually gives you a better chance of seeing the dealers down card.
Hollywood06
Hollywood06
  • Threads: 19
May 2nd, 2010 at 11:26:39 AM permalink
i take it matilda when you say third base usually gives you a better chance of seeing the dealers hole(down) card that you are referring to hole carding? I've heard of first basing and trying to catch a glimpse when the dealers card comes out the shoe and front loading when the dealer raises his card a bit to high, but i thought that was optimal in the middle of the table?...................

I take it you hole card at 3rd base?
matilda
matilda
  • Threads: 3
May 2nd, 2010 at 1:12:45 PM permalink
For clarification, I should have said that in a hand-held deck game--not a shoe--the dealer sometimes flashes the down card as he/she slips it under the already dealt up card. It doesn't take much to see paint. If you are seven feet tall you might not see it, but if you are 5 feet you might.
nyuhoosier
nyuhoosier
  • Threads: 31
May 3rd, 2010 at 1:40:03 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I prefer first and third, because it lowers the chances of a smoker sitting next to me by 50%. Of the two, I prefer first, because I won't have to get the usual remarks about saving or ruining the table.

Those seats also reduce a smoker's chances of unwittingly blowing smoke in another player's face -- which is why I sometimes prefer them. More often than not I pass on smoking at the tables because it's just too tight and I hate to see people irritated.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 4th, 2010 at 2:35:07 PM permalink
Short stop, as my buddy is normally on third base, and it works out nicely. Otherwise on 1st so I have the most room.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: