Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
September 26th, 2013 at 7:53:56 PM permalink
I don't know if there is already a thread about this but I thought it would be entertaining to have everyone tell their tale of their worst "bad beat" playing black jack.

My Tale:
I was at MGM in Vegas around 2 am or so in 2010. This hand still makes me mad to this day. I had been at a $10 BJ table for approx 5 hours and was up a few hundred. I was betting $10 then was doing a progressive after wins. I had won 6 or 7 hands in a row and had a $80 bet up which is a lot for me. We had 3 other people at the table and the main dealer was on break. He was a great dealer, entertaining and helped the idiots play correctly. So anyways, I was dealt 66 vs dealer 6. I split 2 times and doubled once. I had $320 on the hand. I ended up with 3 hands of 17 or less. My double obviously didn't go well. The first 2 people after me stayed and the person on 3rd base had a 16 and signaled for a hit. The dealer instantly dealt the card and he drew the 5. The dealer showed his 5, then drew a 10 for 21. sigh....
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
September 26th, 2013 at 8:42:23 PM permalink
The game should just be called Bad Beat, it would save everyone the trouble.
A falling knife has no handle.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 27th, 2013 at 2:49:11 AM permalink
I've said it many times, it is murder to double down or split and lose, you have illustrated very well why. And why a guy needs to think about increasing a bet in BJ, a bigger bet becoming an enormous one with the splitting.

There is definitely a perversity in BJ. The 16 a player is dealt is always awful; if it is a pair of 8s, hey great a reprieve, you can split them to get rid of that! But at the cost of risking more money.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 27th, 2013 at 3:41:23 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I don't know if there is already a thread about this but I thought it would be entertaining to have everyone tell their tale of their worst "bad beat" playing black jack.

My Tale:
I was at MGM in Vegas around 2 am or so in 2010. This hand still makes me mad to this day. I had been at a $10 BJ table for approx 5 hours and was up a few hundred. I was betting $10 then was doing a progressive after wins. I had won 6 or 7 hands in a row and had a $80 bet up which is a lot for me. We had 3 other people at the table and the main dealer was on break. He was a great dealer, entertaining and helped the idiots play correctly. So anyways, I was dealt 66 vs dealer 6. I split 2 times and doubled once. I had $320 on the hand. I ended up with 3 hands of 17 or less. My double obviously didn't go well. The first 2 people after me stayed and the person on 3rd base had a 16 and signaled for a hit. The dealer instantly dealt the card and he drew the 5. The dealer showed his 5, then drew a 10 for 21. sigh....

I'm going to give that dealer the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was tired or distracted. With the exception of one or maybe two, I can't think of a dealer who wouldn't at least hesitate or ask the player if he was sure before hitting that hand. Having said that it is the player who is responsible for his hand and who's to say that hand couldn't have ended favorably?

We can all top each other's bad beat stories and I certainly have my share. If that's the worst thing that ever happens to you consider yourself lucky.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 27th, 2013 at 3:58:06 AM permalink
I just realized a feature of your story is how another player screwed you with a decision.

You know that is a fallacy that other player's decisions mean squat, I hope.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
September 27th, 2013 at 5:33:28 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I just realized a feature of your story is how another player screwed you with a decision.

You know that is a fallacy that other player's decisions mean squat, I hope.

For that hand, it definitely meant squat for him.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
  • Jump to: