Mikey75
Mikey75
  • Threads: 49
March 25th, 2013 at 7:16:50 PM permalink
I was wondering what the opinions of everyone here are about this training course that I found online here. http://www.blackjackinfo.com/blackjack-school/ Would the flash cards that this course instructs you how to make be an appropriate way to learn basic strategy?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 25th, 2013 at 7:31:02 PM permalink
Its your dime,,but then its probably far more than a time for those kindergartenesque flash cards. Its either in your memory or it ain't. Forget the flash cards.
Boney526
Boney526
  • Threads: 8
March 25th, 2013 at 7:41:30 PM permalink
I've never been a flashcard person. I also no longer have BS memorized (although, I'd suppose I probably have like 99% of it down, and 5 minutes of review would get me the rest) b/c I don't play blackjack...

Point being, if flashcards work for you, they probably will with blackjack. If you're not a flash card person, they won't help. I've heard the suggestion many times. For me, at least, I've never found it necessary. When I was into card counting, I memorized BS, and many of the indexes w/o the need of flash cards. But that's just me, I learned through playing w/ play money, and trying to find what types of hands I couldn't remember indices or BS for, then checking it. For example, it took me a couple of times to remember that you DO NOT split 9,9 against a dealer 7. It helps to have software (like an Iphone App) that will tell you when you made a mistake. That way you can see what types of mistakes you're making, and cut them out.

I figured trying to pound it in my head with flash cards was dull.... at least playing and waiting till I played through every possible scenario a few times was more fun for me. And I learned better that way. Honestly, I really think it's only important that you like what you're trying to learn........ you'll find an appropriate way to teach yourself it if you truly enjoy it (or the challenge.)
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
March 25th, 2013 at 7:50:25 PM permalink
Quote: Mikey75

I was wondering what the opinions of everyone here are about this training course that I found online here. http://www.blackjackinfo.com/blackjack-school/ Would the flash cards that this course instructs you how to make be an appropriate way to learn basic strategy?

The GameMaster's blackjack school on the BJinfo site is very adequate. Seems to me, there were one or two small things that I didn't like or think were explained the best way. But overall, I remember thinking it could be very useful to some one starting out.

But, if you are visiting the BJinfo site, and obviously you have, there is far more value in the now closed but archived message board forums.

I began supporting myself solely from blackjack play in march of 2004, playing the red chip level in Atlantic city of all places. Pa and other eastern states did not have table games and/or gambling at that time. AC was still the only game in town. I learned about blackjack from the usual books. Read several dozen. Many outdated for the 21st century game. Three years, I played at this red chip level and although I was able to barely support myself, my BR grew very little. In April 2007, I joined the BJinfo site, and became a regular contributing member. Read everything I could from the back message board, asked questions and participated in many discussions, sometimes too many...lol. But this is the point that I REALLY began to learn about the game of blackjack.

I often say, you can only learn so much from books. Some things have to be learned by experience. But they don't all have to be your own experiences. You can learn by other members sharing their experiences and that is the beauty of different BJ and gambling sites and why I continue to participate on several.

In the next three years after I started participating at BJinfo, my career really took off. My bankroll grew, allowing me to move up in stakes and make a little more money, which allowed my BR to grow more. Within a year I was playing green-black stakes, which means you can play better (rules) games, with less crowded conditions, which translates into even more money. In 2009, I moved away from the east coast and relocated to Vegas.

I don't think it is any coincidence that my career REALLY took off just after I began participating on the BJinfo site. Part of it was just timing. I finally started to be able to build my BR a bit rather than just getting by as I did the first few years, but a major part was the education that I received at BJinfo. The site was populated with members ranging from weekend warrior type 'hobbyists' to semi-pro players, to a handful of professional players. I learned about so many aspects of the game that I just was clueless about. And all that info is still sitting right there for the taking. So, again, my advise is if you visit the site, do more than read the Blackjack school. Read the message boards.
HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
March 25th, 2013 at 7:53:53 PM permalink
I learned basic strategy using flashcards. I made them on a flashcard website, and they would run continuously on my computer 24/7. Worked for me. Be sure to match the appropriate strategy to the game you will play most often. No reason to learn the single deck S17 strategy if you will be playing a multiple deck H17 game. Good luck!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
March 25th, 2013 at 8:13:46 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
March 25th, 2013 at 10:06:13 PM permalink
Just use the Wizard's free trainer, no need for flash cards:

Wizard's Black Jack
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
March 26th, 2013 at 12:11:49 AM permalink
Quote: paisiello

Just use the Wizard's free trainer

The below is the one I use all the time now, although it is incorrect on an infrequent soft 18 situation. Use the Wizard's until you get it down, then put this one on 'difficult' . Be advised, if you are just 'not there yet', there is no need to try to beat the clock.

http://hitorstand.net/game_l.html
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Kellynbnf
Kellynbnf
  • Threads: 15
March 26th, 2013 at 5:15:43 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Does a S17, SD game even exist?

Maybe some 6:5 games?
Mikey75
Mikey75
March 26th, 2013 at 6:13:23 AM permalink
Thanks for all of the advice.
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
March 26th, 2013 at 6:27:27 AM permalink
Why bother memorizing it first? Take a bs card with you and use it. Then if anyone gives you any crap about your play, you can tell them to yell at the card, not you. And if you're winning it's good cover so you won't get backed off, because clearly you're no pro, you're using a card.

In time you'll have all but the most esoteric decisions memorized just from playing. I can't really see the upside of torturing yourself with flashcards. If you really want to practice at home sit there and deal yourself a hand and a dealer hand, consult the chart, play it out, lather, rinse, repeat, you'll have it in no time.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
March 26th, 2013 at 8:31:20 AM permalink
deleted
Mikey75
Mikey75
March 26th, 2013 at 9:14:47 AM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

Why bother memorizing it first? Take a bs card with you and use it. Then if anyone gives you any crap about your play, you can tell them to yell at the card, not you. And if you're winning it's good cover so you won't get backed off, because clearly you're no pro, you're using a card.

I have seriously given this some thought for the very reason that you stated. It might take some heat off of you counting if your using a card. It would definatly give the impression that you where a newbie with no real idea of what your doing.
Mikey75
Mikey75
March 29th, 2013 at 9:20:43 PM permalink
I have another question that goes along the same lines so I thought I would ask it here instead of starting another thread. If I'm playing at one of the $5 tables betting between $5 and $50 according to the betting ramp for hi-lo do I even need to worry about cover play at such small levels? I will probably play for a couple hours at a time betting minimum when the count goes south instead of trying to leave and Wong in on a high count. I figure for the kind of minimal action I'm talking about I shouldn't have to worry about heat at all. Am I right??
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
March 30th, 2013 at 2:27:25 AM permalink
Where I work you could play your heart out at those levels and not attract undue attention.
Mikey75
Mikey75
March 30th, 2013 at 6:37:57 AM permalink
Thanks for confirming what I allready thought. I figure you wouldn't have to worry about any cover plays at all at that level. I was just wondering of anyone else had any opinions or experience at that level. Thanks again for the reply.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
March 30th, 2013 at 6:47:46 AM permalink
deleted
Mikey75
Mikey75
March 30th, 2013 at 7:10:24 AM permalink
I'm sure that's true as well. I'll be playing mostly at Tunica. Anyone have any experiences there? I just figure for those small amounts no one would bother watching to close. Especially on a busy night.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
March 30th, 2013 at 7:14:06 AM permalink
Try not to move your lips while counting, you'll be fine.
Mikey75
Mikey75
March 30th, 2013 at 7:44:27 AM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

Try not to move your lips while counting, you'll be fine.

Lol that's a dead give away for sure.
  • Jump to: