MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
December 25th, 2012 at 12:54:15 PM permalink
Yesterday, I was at the Golden Nugget playing heads up against a fast dealer.
The count was high and I had a max bet out. I was dealt A,8 vs dealer 6.
The dealer assumed I would stand and flipped her hole card (10) before I could
get more chips into the betting circle (I was reaching for chips instantly when I saw the 6).

I said, Whoa! I want to double that. She responded that I had a 19 and
there was no chance I was going to double.

Floor was called, and I was overruled. The supervisor thought I was lying.
He said there is no way anyone would double a 19. He also said doubling a 19
would be the worst play he could think of.

I really hate it when a dealer does not let me play my own freaking hand!
It's not the first time something like this has happened.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
EdgeLooker
EdgeLooker
  • Threads: 21
December 25th, 2012 at 1:07:10 PM permalink
All of them? lol

But some will let a drunk hit their hard 19s and 20s all night, lol.
LowPingBoy
LowPingBoy
  • Threads: 2
December 25th, 2012 at 2:00:20 PM permalink
Guess I thought that was the reason for making us use hand signals. Seems to me that if proper protocol were followed it would be clear to the "eye" that you did not give the stand signal. Hence no decision at that time. Did the not have video of all of this?

Pity, was planning on visiting the GN my trip out there next month.

LPB
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
December 25th, 2012 at 2:07:44 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

Floor was called, and I was overruled.

I'm not surprised. One thing I learned from the Venetian is there are a lot of shot-takers out there. For example a player has two tens, the dealer just passes him by, as he has stood on 20 several times already. Then the dealer gets a multi-card 21 and the player claims he wanted to split. Yeah, right. Of course you legitimately wanted to double, but they probably didn't believe you. I am not excusing what they did, but having worked the other side, I can see how they feel.

One practical thing to be learned is that if you want to double or split in a situation that is not the norm, put your bet out there before it is your turn, and have you hand signal ready.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
MakingBook
MakingBook
December 25th, 2012 at 2:13:44 PM permalink
Quote: LowPingBoy

Pity, was planning on visiting the GN my trip out there next month.

Keep the GN in your plans. They offer good low limit blackjack games.
6d, pen 4.5/6, H17, DOA, DAS, LS, RSA, $5/$10 min. I usually spread $10-$200.

Be sure to visit The El Cortez. I love it when they announce "checks play" when I put $25 in the bet circle.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
December 25th, 2012 at 2:14:18 PM permalink

Ah, come on! You knew you were at the Golden Nugget. You knew the dealer was fast.

>It's not the first time something like this has happened.
Precisely, its not the first time you've been too slow!
DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
December 25th, 2012 at 3:09:07 PM permalink
I make it a point to have my double bet in the circle before the dealer looks up

You know on soft 19 all your waiting for is a 6 and only a six to fire
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 25th, 2012 at 7:27:22 PM permalink
Really disappointing that you were overruled. This specific situation hasn't happened to me, but I'm sure it will sometime.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
  • Threads: 26
December 25th, 2012 at 10:48:56 PM permalink
I agree with the poster who said that the eye in the sky should be able to see the hand signal. I would have disputed it and said that I never made a hand signal, so play shouldn't have continued. I have been reprimanded by dealers for not making a clear hand signal or not making my stay signal over the table when I have a 20, but I'd rather be bothered about that than get screwed like you were in this situation. I like fast dealers but at least wait for my hand signal. I was playing the other day and a guy with an 11 decided he wanted to double after he got a 10 on it, but he had made the hand signal to hit already. Despite this the supervisor still let him double down, just said that the card had to be burned that was dealt. Naturally he pulled a 3 on the new card and the dealer pulled out a 6 card 21 when I was playing 2 hands for 25 dollars each and had a 20 and a 19.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 26th, 2012 at 5:35:24 AM permalink

The count was high and I had a max bet out. I was dealt A,8 vs dealer 6.
The dealer assumed I would stand and flipped her hole card (10) before I could
get more chips into the betting circle (I was reaching for chips instantly when I saw the 6).

I said, Whoa! I want to double that. She responded that I had a 19 and
there was no chance I was going to double.

Floor was called, and I was overruled. The supervisor thought I was lying.
He said there is no way anyone would double a 19. He also said doubling a 19
would be the worst play he could think of.

I really hate it when a dealer does not let me play my own freaking hand!
It's not the first time something like this has happened.

I try to handle these things as quickly and quietly as possible without involving the floor. As a counter I don't want to draw any extra attention but it's not always easy when these people start costing me money. Supervisors should know the basic strategy for H17 by now. You could produce a strategy card next time. It may even reduce heat by making them think you're just another average player.

There is no gray area here. Both employees went against the clear hand signal policy and the supervisor dropped the ball by not taking remedial action. Was the dealer at least from then on told to wait for a hand signal? Not that it matters as long as you made the proper play but how did the hand play out?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
GH
GH
  • Threads: 7
December 26th, 2012 at 5:39:43 AM permalink
When faced with a trigger happy dealer, what I do is hold my palm towards him/her/it (Whoa! signal), while I take the required number of seconds to think.
MakingBook
MakingBook
December 26th, 2012 at 8:54:44 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

I try to handle these things as quickly and quietly as possible without involving the floor. As a counter I don't want to draw any extra attention but it's not always easy when these people start costing me money. Supervisors should know the basic strategy for H17 by now. You could produce a strategy card next time. It may even reduce heat by making them think you're just another average player.

There is no gray area here. Both employees went against the clear hand signal policy and the supervisor dropped the ball by not taking remedial action. Was the dealer at least from then on told to wait for a hand signal? Not that it matters as long as you made the proper play but how did the hand play out?

Having a strategy card on hand is an excellent idea. Love it!

The dealer/floor viewed me as a "shot taker." I'm sure surveillance would see me reaching for chips to double, but I decided to let it go. I was spreading $10-$200, and thought it best to not draw more attention.

FWIW- I won the round (would have won the double also), then won/lost the last two rounds to end the shoe. Then, I left.

I wonder what's the $$ difference between standing vs doubling A8 v 6 on a $200 bet? Probably only a couple bucks?
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
December 26th, 2012 at 9:07:43 AM permalink
I have twice had a GN Roulette dealer 'take a shot' against me over the past several years. And written about those experiences here on WOV. They sweat things a bit there. IMO.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
December 26th, 2012 at 9:27:25 AM permalink
A8 vs 6 on H17 assuming 6 decks (from WOO BJ Appendix 9):

Stand: .452220
Double: .462089

Difference = .009869

$200 x .009869 = $1.97.

So yeah, a couple of bucks is pretty much exactly it.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
December 26th, 2012 at 10:06:28 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

A8 vs 6 on H17 assuming 6 decks (from WOO BJ Appendix 9):

Stand: .452220
Double: .462089

Difference = .009869

$200 x .009869 = $1.97.

So yeah, a couple of bucks is pretty much exactly it.

He also said the count was high, so I would assume his actual EV in that spot was a bit better than that. But I dunno if it was enough to draw attention to yourself.
  • Jump to: