bigtim
bigtim
  • Threads: 1
June 1st, 2012 at 9:58:56 AM permalink
house hitting soft 17. I understand the math is better for the house hitting it than not. But most people would be staying on the hard hit hands and actually may be getting another chance at a win when the house hits.

I have hard 15,stay, house 6 up, flips ace and house wins.
versus
I have hard 15,stay, house 6 up, flips ace and I get another chance.

I wonder if hitting soft 17 is much of a house benefit with this factored in?
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
June 1st, 2012 at 10:12:27 AM permalink
It is always mathematically advantageous for the house to hit on a soft 17. Just take a look at the blackjack basic strategy card, and it will ALWAYS tell the player to hit a soft 17, and sometimes double down.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
FourFiveFace
FourFiveFace
  • Threads: 15
June 1st, 2012 at 10:19:09 AM permalink
Well you do have to take into account every possible scenario and crunch the numbers from there.

Player stands on hard 18, dealer shows 6, flips ace, player wins.

OR

Player stands on hard 18, dealer shows 6, flips ace, draws 3, player loses.
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
June 1st, 2012 at 10:20:06 AM permalink
https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/calculator/

Go here check the h17 box then uncheck the h17 box and see what happens
rainman
rainman
June 1st, 2012 at 10:32:42 AM permalink
Quote: bigtim

house hitting soft 17. I understand the math is better for the house hitting it than not. But most people would be staying on the hard hit hands and actually may be getting another chance at a win when the house hits.

I have hard 15,stay, house 6 up, flips ace and house wins.
versus
I have hard 15,stay, house 6 up, flips ace and I get another chance.

I wonder if hitting soft 17 is much of a house benefit with this factored in?

Sure sometimes dealer hitting s17 may work in your favor, however in the long run its to your disadvantage.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 1st, 2012 at 10:42:03 AM permalink
17 sucks.

You only stand on hard 17 because you are too likely to bust taking another card.

So, 17 sucks for the house too, hard or soft. [edited]
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
rainman
rainman
June 1st, 2012 at 10:43:51 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

17 sucks.

You only stand on hard 17 because you are too likely to bust taking another card.

He is talking about the dealer hitting s17
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
June 1st, 2012 at 11:12:28 AM permalink
I am sure that I am farther ahead because of the house hitting on soft 17. I know on one occasion I was leveraged out to 4 bets due to splits and doubles. They all turned out be garbage. The dealer ended up with a soft 17, hit it a few times and busted. I can only recall a couple of times since that the soft 17 has worked against me.

Of course, I understand that it is a mathematical disadvantage. But my results have been positive.
only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
June 1st, 2012 at 11:16:31 AM permalink
Quote: PapaChubby

I am sure that I am farther ahead because of the house hitting on soft 17. I know on one occasion I was leveraged out to 4 bets due to splits and doubles. They all turned out be garbage. The dealer ended up with a soft 17, hit it a few times and busted. I can only recall a couple of times since that the soft 17 has worked against me.

Of course, I understand that it is a mathematical disadvantage. But my results have been positive.

If you can provide us with every playing event on paper from day one we might listen but only briefly. In the short term anything is possible. If it works for you more power to you.
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
rainman
rainman
June 1st, 2012 at 11:18:21 AM permalink

There is always exceptions, these exceptions are what man perceives as luck.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 1st, 2012 at 11:32:28 AM permalink
papachubby, I am guessing you do not stand on soft 17 when *you* get it... BS says to hit, in some case double, without exception.

It seems clear the house should hit too [and that the player should not want the house to hit].

17 sucks.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
1BB
1BB
June 1st, 2012 at 1:53:15 PM permalink

Don't judge anything based on a few hands. It's a .20% house edge. Some say .22%. The dealer breaks more often under this rule but when he doesn't- look out! If you play long enough you will lose more than at a S17 game.

That doesn't mean H17 is a deal breaker. It is only one of many factors to consider when evaluating a game. If you're a counter, that .20% shrinks during high counts which is when you have the money out.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
June 1st, 2012 at 3:56:07 PM permalink

If it's been good for you, that's great, winning is awesome, however...

As the others have said it's mathematically advantageous for the house to hit it, and the house plays more hands of blackjack in a day than most players probably will in a life time, especially when you think of it like this: when you play one hand, you play one hand, when the house plays it's a hand for every player at the table. When you understand how the law of large numbers/standard deviation works, you see that the house achieves this mathematical sweet spot EVERY day, whereas a player plays a lifetime to get there.

From my limited perspective dealing bj I see hitting S17 being a huge advantage for the house.
winmonkeyspit3
winmonkeyspit3
  • Threads: 26
June 1st, 2012 at 9:33:02 PM permalink
The average dealer blackjack hand is in the range of 18-19. If the dealer has a 17, then that means it is above average for the player. If the dealer hits it, they have not one, but two chances to draw something better than the 17 that they originally had. Obviously this is bad for the player.
  • Jump to: