Thread Rating:

redietz
redietz
  • Threads: 49
May 24th, 2021 at 12:20:04 PM permalink
As a Penn State English: Writing Option grad (with a minor in general science), I'd like to point out that the dictionary definition of "Adventure" is "an undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks."

If a person, any person, appears to have won about 90% of the time going back years and seems to have a firm grasp of all pertinent risks, he or she is obviously in no danger and faces no unknown risks.

I therefore humbly submit that the word "Adventures" in the title of such threads is denotatively inaccurate, and that readers would be better served by the word "Non-Adventures," which I think any dictionary would agree better characterizes the content of those threads.

Just a humble suggestion. It's usually a sound policy to label threads as accurately as possible.
"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 24th, 2021 at 12:24:42 PM permalink
So, like a dirty gas station bathroom would qualify?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DeMango
DeMango
  • Threads: 36
May 24th, 2021 at 12:55:23 PM permalink
Lets see what an obvious trolling thread will get you!
When a rock is thrown into a pack of dogs, the one that yells the loudest is the one who got hit.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
Wizard
May 24th, 2021 at 2:35:56 PM permalink
Quote: redietz

As a Penn State English: Writing Option grad (with a minor in general science), I'd like to point out that the dictionary definition of "Adventure" is "an undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks."

If a person, any person, appears to have won about 90% of the time going back years and seems to have a firm grasp of all pertinent risks, he or she is obviously in no danger and faces no unknown risks.

I therefore humbly submit that the word "Adventures" in the title of such threads is denotatively inaccurate, and that readers would be better served by the word "Non-Adventures," which I think any dictionary would agree better characterizes the content of those threads.

Just a humble suggestion. It's usually a sound policy to label threads as accurately as possible.

Thanks for starting yet another thread about our esteemed high roller. I doubt it needs publicity, so thread closed.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
  • Jump to: